Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I did something tonight...( not tipping waiter)
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 3:36 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
amother wrote:
greenfire wrote:
if part of their wage is counting on tips - it's not quite fair ... then again don't know why anybody would take a $2 an hour job and rely on tips ... then again why on earth would they serve so poorly when relying on tips ... then again what made them serve the 'very special guests' quicker than they could serve you ... then again I don't eat out

OP here: I THINK, but am not sure, that waiters here actually get minimum wage and a tip is just an extra. I.e. that is why people only tip 10% as opposed to 15/18/20 in the USA. Any one can confirm this?

In some places here in Israel, waiters don't get paid at all, and only rely on tips. It is illegal though.
In many places, they pool all the tips together and split it.

Also, people here (Israel) don't tip only 10%, IME most people tip 15%, and some 20%.

I totally understand not tipping the waiter, although actually probably the whole restaurant was at fault. The manager/chef and so on decided to prioritize the other couple over you.

If the kitchen was backed up, half the staff was out sick, and the manager came over and apologized for the delay, then that would be one thing. To just get attitude for nothing - no tip for you!

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 4:04 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
amother wrote:
greenfire wrote:
if part of their wage is counting on tips - it's not quite fair ... then again don't know why anybody would take a $2 an hour job and rely on tips ... then again why on earth would they serve so poorly when relying on tips ... then again what made them serve the 'very special guests' quicker than they could serve you ... then again I don't eat out

OP here: I THINK, but am not sure, that waiters here actually get minimum wage and a tip is just an extra. I.e. that is why people only tip 10% as opposed to 15/18/20 in the USA. Any one can confirm this?

In some places here in Israel, waiters don't get paid at all, and only rely on tips. It is illegal though.
In many places, they pool all the tips together and split it.

Also, people here (Israel) don't tip only 10%, IME most people tip 15%, and some 20%.

I totally understand not tipping the waiter, although actually probably the whole restaurant was at fault. The manager/chef and so on decided to prioritize the other couple over you.

I think the minimum is 12% (under that is cheap). I think the nicer the restaurant more chances are they follow the law, it's the seedy places that don't pay a salary.

This happened to us too, I don't remember details just that service was deplorable, when we finally got our check (after getting up and looking for the register), we just paid and left. The manager/or head waiter that night ran after us and asked "didn't you eat?" why didn't you tip, we told him our story and he apologized for the staff.
I sort of feel bad for that waiter - but we came there for dinner before a movie and had almost missed our movie because of their (lack) of service.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 10:55 am
OP here: A new update. They charged us FOUR times for the meal. I thought maybe a hold, but no. They charged four times and we pay a fee on each charge of course from our US bank. We called the restaurant and no owner or manager is available- has been like this for the past 5 hours. We paid on our US based card and I am honestly considering charge-backing the whole thing.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
OP here: A new update. They charged us FOUR times for the meal. I thought maybe a hold, but no. They charged four times and we pay a fee on each charge of course from our US bank. We called the restaurant and no owner or manager is available- has been like this for the past 5 hours. We paid on our US based card and I am honestly considering charge-backing the whole thing.

Call your credit card immediately and dispute the charges!

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 11:02 am
amother wrote:

forget the restaurant - this is where a good credit card/bank comes in handy ... you can dispute the charges with them and they should honour it ...

you gotta wonder if they didn't do this on purpose ...

SacN

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 11:09 am
Quote:
once I didn't tip a taxi driver because I asked him to go slower and he didn't listen ...

oh wait I did tip him

[don't mess with a pregnant woman]

This happened to me too!
I told him to slow down and turn on the AC but he didn't listen.
We actually gave him a nice tip despite his horrible service because we didn't want him to think anything about those "cheap Jews" but he then insisted on a good deal more money to get his car detailed. We refused. We never use that car service company anymore.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:

charge back, not even a question. they're lucky you paid them anything at all.

busydev

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:

dispute those charges asap.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 1:34 pm
They charged you 4 times the amount or they charged the bill split into 4 charges?
If it's just that they charged the bill split into courses, I don't know if you can dispute that although it seems kind of shady as to what they would do that. I would talk to the restaurant but I don't know if you can dispute it if the amount is correct. I know some of the phone companies here do that and used to drive me crazy till I switched to capitalone with no foreign fees.
It's not their fault you used a foreign credit card.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 1:56 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
They charged you 4 times the amount or they charged the bill split into 4 charges?
If it's just that they charged the bill split into courses, I don't know if you can dispute that although it seems kind of shady as to what they would do that. I would talk to the restaurant but I don't know if you can dispute it if the amount is correct. I know some of the phone companies here do that and used to drive me crazy till I switched to capitalone with no foreign fees.

its still wrong.

DISPUTE!!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 3:10 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

OP here: No. They charged me four times. Four full charges. Close to $400! DH called and they claimed to only see the charge listed once but "they are having problems with their system and are not using it today at all". Am disputing as we type.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 12:37 am
Then 100% dispute. Although it doesn't hurt to wait a day or 2 and see if it is resolved. If it shows up as pending, the cc company can't even refund it till the charge goes all of the way through. Generally when the cc company see's a double or triple charge, they automatically take your word for it and don't even make you go through the regular red tape of a dispute.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette