Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is it "not yeshivish" to wear sunglasses?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:55 pm
Do only cool/with it/trendy women wear sunglasses?

I seem to have that impression and have noticed that the yesivish women around do not wear them.
I am wondering if the yeshivish crowd doesn't wear sunglasses purposely, or for no specific reason?
If a yeshivish lady will wear nice sunglasses will she be looked at different?

(Please don't bash me, I might be completely wrong but I'm in the yeshivsh crowd sort of too and am really wondering)
thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:57 pm
I have no idea about fashion, but if the sun hurts your eyes you're supposed to protect your health. If you need sunglasses, then wear them! Cool

amother

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:59 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have no idea about fashion, but if the sun hurts your eyes you're supposed to protect your health. If you need sunglasses, then wear them! Cool

Thanks!
Yeah I am wearing them. Just wondering now what others do and if they davka don't wear them.

ima_dina084

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:00 pm
I've noticed this and I was thinking people might be too busy to remember their shades. Or maybe money is tight.
Yes I thought maybe they feel somehow that its not tzanua because it attracts attention to the face. I REALLY hope that's not it because sunglasses are protection for our precious eye sight ! Lets not neglect our health to be machmir.
I'm guessing they just leave them at home..often .

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:02 pm
Its a fashion statement. But I wear them sometimes in very sunny weather cuz I can barely see sometimes with the glare. But I wear really small frames, and not mirrored ones.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:03 pm
I only got a couple years ago when I was able to buy them cheaply, since I need prescription sunglasses (I wear glasses) -- I use them for driving mainly. Maybe a lot of yeshivish people wear glasses and it's hard for them to get prescription sunglasses? Wink

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:19 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I only got a couple years ago when I was able to buy them cheaply, since I need prescription sunglasses (I wear glasses) -- I use them for driving mainly. Maybe a lot of yeshivish people wear glasses and it's hard for them to get prescription sunglasses? Wink

That's my reason!

I have a high prescription, so even regular glasses are expensive. I tried getting those over-your-glasses sunglasses for driving, but they're bulky, uncomfortable and ugly.

If I wore contacts (which I tried for a few months and haaated), I'd definitely wear sunglasses for eye health.

But I do agree that sunglasses have a fashionista/celeb-culture aura to them and that's why if you're yeshivish, you choose your sunglasses carefully because you WILL be judged. Yes, plenty of non-celebs wear them, but sunglasses are definitely a fashion statement.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:24 pm
Zennioptical.com has sunglass tinting free through Sunday with frames starting at $7 and a flat shipping rate. You can upload a pic of yourself to try on, but you will need your prescription (and PD which you can measure if you don't know). That's where I ended up getting mine from Smile

ilovestrollers

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:32 pm
This doesn't answer the question, but I wear transition glasses and I love them. I always have sunglasses when I need.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:42 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

That's my reason!

I have a high prescription, so even regular glasses are expensive. I tried getting those over-your-glasses sunglasses for driving, but they're bulky, uncomfortable and ugly.

If I wore contacts (which I tried for a few months and haaated), I'd definitely wear sunglasses for eye health.

But I do agree that sunglasses have a fashionista/celeb-culture aura to them and that's why if you're yeshivish, you choose your sunglasses carefully because you WILL be judged. Yes, plenty of non-celebs wear them, but sunglasses are definitely a fashion statement.

Ok what do you mean by that exactly?
Do you mean no big ones? It seems like the more face the glasses cover the more cool it is.
Are you saying I should get small frames? I don't love those either.
How about if I get in between size but with no brand names or bling on it?
thanks!

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:55 pm
There are diamond rings and there are DIAMOND RINGS;

there are sheitlach and there are SHEITLACH
There are sunglasses and there are SUNGLASSES

If you wear sunglasses for the perfectly normal and proper purpose of protecting your peepers from the powerful rays of Old Sol, and the neighbors act as if you're wearing something that Lady Gaga would die for, that's their problem. You'll have the last laugh when they're recovering from cataract surgery and forced to wear shades of their own.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 10:48 pm
I think yeshivish people do wear them. Maybe not all of them. In the summer I don't leave home without them. Ever!

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 11:06 pm
zaq wrote:
There are diamond rings and there are DIAMOND RINGS;

there are sheitlach and there are SHEITLACH
There are sunglasses and there are SUNGLASSES

If you wear sunglasses for the perfectly normal and proper purpose of protecting your peepers from the powerful rays of Old Sol, and the neighbors act as if you're wearing something that Lady Gaga would die for, that's their problem. You'll have the last laugh when they're recovering from cataract surgery and forced to wear shades of their own.

LOVE!!!!!
this is exactly what I wanted to say.

Emotional

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 11:19 pm
ima_dina084 wrote:
I've noticed this and I was thinking people might be too busy to remember their shades. Or maybe money is tight.
Yes I thought maybe they feel somehow that its not tzanua because it attracts attention to the face. I REALLY hope that's not it because sunglasses are protection for our precious eye sight ! Lets not neglect our health to be machmir.
pb
Funny because I see sunglassed, especially mirrored ones, as a tznius . It provides a sense of anonymity.

Emotional

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 11:19 pm
ima_dina084 wrote:
pb
Funny because I see sunglassed, mirrored ones, as a tznius . It provides a sense of anonymity.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 11:26 pm
It's true, but for anyone that wants to judge "ich faf dich oon" and that's it, I'm keeping my s*xy sunglasses (just as soon as I can find where I put them LOL ).

amother

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
Do only cool/with it/trendy women wear sunglasses?

I seem to have that impression and have noticed that the yesivish women around do not wear them.
I am wondering if the yeshivish crowd doesn't wear sunglasses purposely, or for no specific reason?
If a yeshivish lady will wear nice sunglasses will she be looked at different?

(Please don't bash me, I might be completely wrong but I'm in the yeshivsh crowd sort of too and am really wondering)
thanks!

The short answer is Yes, it's not yeshivish to wear them.

It's not even common by men. Although more so than by women.

FranticFrummie wrote:

Lovely post but completely useless as far as answering the question goes.

Shana_H

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 1:26 am
I get migraines from bright lights, so for me, If the sun is out I have to wear sunglasses, be it Summer or Winter, I'm not interested in makinga statement, I'm trying to prevent a migraine!

eschaya

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 1:35 am
Most yeshivish women do not wear sunglasses. If they do, it would be the kind that look like their glasses, not the large, trendy, celebrity-type that cool people wear even on cloudy days and dusky evenings.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 1:37 am
Girls in my seminary used to do this all the time. It's nbd.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics