Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I want to be a photographer. Tell me everything! Please! Thx
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:41 pm
Wow. You're basically a celebrity photographer on Instagram. I always look at your posts there. Your thread here is a good lesson - if there's a will there's a way!

Last edited by cnc on Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:41 pm
following

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:45 pm
cnc wrote:
Wow. You're basically a celebrity photographer on Instagram. I always look at your posts there. Your thread here is a good lesson - if there's a will there's a way!

Thanks, cnc!

I like the lesson you learned!

I should really dig up my first few photo sessions and post those too -- there was a TON of learning and studying and investing and practicing... and it's ongoing!

The important thing is that people are happy to pay for my services, and I enjoy it! And newborn sessions are always weekday mornings, when my daughter is in playgroup -- most other genres are weekends and evenings, and I couldn't figure out how I could make that work with a little one.

workaholicmama

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:47 pm
Breathtaking photos!!! May you have lots of hatslacha!!!

mfb

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:52 pm
Wow!!
Amazing photos!!
Are you willing to say where you work?

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 12:26 am
WOW! Thank you for sharing that great update, and I LOVE the photos! WOW!

So rare to get this kind of follow up. People should really do it more often. I'm probably guilty of leaving threads hanging myself.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 3:19 am
😍😍 love your work it's soo beautiful! I'm working on perfecting newborn photography and this is amazing to see. I would really love to make it into a job as opposed to a hobby which it is now, but there are soo many expenses. I am scared to lay out the $$ and take the plunge.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 11:40 am
Thank you for your kind words, workaholicmamma!

mfb - thanks! I am in Baltimore - you can see all my info at ChayaBraun.com

Seeker - I also wonder how old threads end up being resolved oftentimes!

Amother - feel free to post or pm me about your work and fears!

I'm laughing that I wrote about doing sessions for $25 and including 2 prints! There's no way to have a sustainable business like that, unless communicating about scheduling, taking the photos, the actual session, editing, delivering the photos, and more, all takes less than 10 minutes!

Fox

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 11:51 am
Omg! My DD, who has built a nice photography business, is a huge fan of yours. She says she's gotten so many good ideas from you!

fs

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:06 pm
gorgeous pics. What is the price for these things? Can you refer me someone is Yerushalayim? Thank you.

Lita

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:26 pm
Your photos moved me. Stunning. Kol hakavod.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:47 pm
Fox! What a small world! Who is she; I'd love to see her work!

fs, thanks! Prices are posted at chayabraun.com. Riki Kanterovitz is superb in Jerusalem.

Lita, thank you!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 2:22 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Hi Imamother friends!

Firstly, I'm the OP of this thread, and I decided to become a photographer!

Secondly, I miss you all! It's nice to have a virtual social life Smile

Thirdly, I still read Imamother, but I hardly post, as I'm so incredibly busy! I can find a minute to post, but if I post something controversial, I want to be able to follow the thread and defend my position -- and I just don't have the time!

I abandoned my friends, cooking, and cleaning (well, not completely!), studied hard, and practiced harder!

Here are a few recent photos. Look for me on Instagram for more Smile

My daughter:

Clients:

I follow you on Instagram! I can't believe you just started 3 years ago! Your work looks like someone who's been photographing for years and years. Sooo inspired to see this thread.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:47 pm
I Just checked you out on instagram, and OMG! I love your work!!!

Simple1

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 6:18 pm
Wow! You did it!

MamaBear

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:34 pm
This thread made my day. Perseverance and talent pays off!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:47 pm
Long time admirer here, both of the member TAP and the photographer Chaya Braun. Wink
I'd love to hear you elaborate more some time (I know you've mentioned that you don't have a lot of that...) about your journey- how you decided to jump in, how you dealt with the considerable challenges posters had brought up at the beginning of the thread, what were the hard parts, what were the easiest parts, what is different than expected...
Thanks!!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I follow you on Instagram! I can't believe you just started 3 years ago! Your work looks like someone who's been photographing for years and years. Sooo inspired to see this thread.

Thank you, Gold amother! Some photographers learned way faster than I did, some slower; it's lots of work in any case!

HeartyAppetite wrote:
I Just checked you out on instagram, and OMG! I love your work!!!

Thanks so much Smile And HeartyAppetite to you!!

Simple1 wrote:
Wow! You did it!

Simple1 - thank you! And I'm still learning and taking courses and trying to improve.

MamaBear wrote:
This thread made my day. Perseverance and talent pays off!

Oooh, you're too sweet MamaBear! What do they say? Success is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration Smile

amother wrote:
Long time admirer here, both of the member TAP and the photographer Chaya Braun. Wink
I'd love to hear you elaborate more some time (I know you've mentioned that you don't have a lot of that...) about your journey- how you decided to jump in, how you dealt with the considerable challenges posters had brought up at the beginning of the thread, what were the hard parts, what were the easiest parts, what is different than expected...
Thanks!!

Thank you.

Hmmm. I knew I needed a new career. I looked into programming. I have a thread about it somewhere here! Then I spoke to people in IT who had good jobs and lost them when they were shipped to India. I knew that photography would never be outsourced, lol!

I took a few courses at ClickinMoms and CreativeLive. Then I did a bunch of model calls. Free sessions, usually with a choice of 3 free digital images, and they could pay for more. I posted the images for critique in newborn photography Facebook groups and then tried to improve at the next session.

Good equipment is not cheap, and my style demands a lot of props, so reinvesting in the business was something I had to learn to balance.

Soothing babies, learning about light and shadows, camera angle, posing angles, dealing with demanding clients, not getting fazed by babies pooping on my hands, marketing, building my website - everything was a learning curve! And still is Smile

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 12:12 pm
What an inspiring thread! Great that you found a creative field where you can pursue your passion and get paid for it!

glamourmom

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 12:33 pm
your website is breathtaking. stunning photos and such fun and happy posts.
following you on insta. thanks for sharing.

all the photos in the floral wreath are out of this world.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics