Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Was I rude? I asked the ML to turn off the fan...
Previous  1  2

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 11:10 am
I think both sides were a little out of line.

B"H, the mikvah that I work in has a/c, but even if it didn't, for the short time it takes for 1 person to toveil, I would definitely turn off a fan for someone if they asked.

And if I were uncomfortable with a fan being on, and a ML asked me to deal, because it made a difference to her, I would have dealt.

My thought would be to let it go, and just stay out of the airflow if it comes up again.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 11:18 am
It wasn't rude to ask, but a little rude to keep insisting. You would be near the fan for probably a total of 10 seconds. And sometimes it takes a good number of moving and adjusting the fan to get it to blow just right and in the right direction- maybe she didn't want to have to go through setting it up again to spare you an instant's discomfort? Being hot is much more uncomfortable than feeling a breeze in a warm room. The woman sits there for hours helping others do mitzvos- let her have her fan.
Also another possibility- perhaps she was feeling nauseous that day? And the idea of moving the fan would make it even worse?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 11:42 am
I would assume the fan was blowing on the place she stands to watch the mikva while you tovel & daven (the longest span of time women are in the room). Thus the fan is not blowing on women entering & exiting the mikva for very brief moment.The fan never would have even been blowing on you,only circulating the hot humid air around you.
You had every right to ask, but once you heard her explanation , you should have dropped it.

gumgum

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 1:03 pm
I dont think you were rude to ask but I also am sure you would not get sick for having the fan blow on you for exactly 4 seconds until you leave the mikvah room

amother

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 4:56 pm
OP here. Thanks for your replies. I think now I realize it wasn't so nice of me to insist she turn it off... I even feel a bit foolish for being so insistent. The poster who said that maybe she was feeling faint might have been correct. This ML is normally very nice and I know she often goes out of her way to accommodate. I guess she really needed it to be on.

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 2:02 pm
who needs to feel cold whilst bathing & dunking ... the request sounds more than reasonable [this coming from a hot blooded person who needs my bathroom door open so I can breath after the shower]
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette