Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Grey Lines (Binah Serial by EGSchwartz)
  Previous  1  2  3   30  31  32  Next

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 9:22 pm
I agree that Caro's visions or whatever are too far out for me. No dream there, she had previously had no clue about the events described. The whole thing was a little hard to get into, but that part tips it toward the losing side.

As usual for this author, excellent character development. You can really start to feel the personalities.

Scotty

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 9:42 am
Aha!

Nothing like imamother in the morning! Thank you, MB, for starting this thread, and for everyone's comments!

You know what they say about stories and sausages, but I can't resist. Spoilers below...

Hidden: 

Obermeyer dead? Don't be so sure. He's awfully hard to get rid of. We'll hear from him yet.

mandr - that's an idea. Maybe I'll forward that one up the food chain.

Ooh, it's interesting to see so much reaction to those *visions*. Frances herself pokes fun at them last chapter--Caro's quite the drama queen, I suppose. It's not supposed to be realistic - I see them more as a florid romanticism (quite popular in the day) - she's either dramatizing her father's account in her head, or extrapolating what Mother and Becca's interactions would have been like based on the years of arguments she has seen. It's a sort of reflection of the culture and of her own immaturity, somewhat --I think only her 'dream' of Noah's goodbye is a bit over the top, and that was taken directly from a diary of the period because I loved how Victorian it was. And yes, the folks of that period DESPERATELY needed Pensieves. You should read the diaries of the time. If there's a way to say one sentence in twenty adjectives and dramatic proclamations, they usually found it. If Caro herself would be writing this story it would take ten chapters to fully express her dismay for the lack of cambric lace in the shops. (I exaggerate not.)

As far as the history goes, there isn't going to be much of it from here on. Last chapter was the jump-off point, actually--the board is set, it's time to play!

I'm glad to hear that Noah was liked. I actually didn't like him much--it's hard to get emotionally involved with a character you know has a definite, erm, expiration date--and I had to try really hard to get him to be likable. As things stand today I think my favorite de jour is Gusta. I'm not sure why. She's flighty and lighthearted (or seems to be) and most everything I disdain, and yet she's compelling. Maybe it's the name? "Gusta" is just too hilarious.
Caro, though, seems slated for favoritism. Lots of Caro-goodness coming down the tubes. And Wolf-goodness, too, come to think of it, with a good dose of Mose, even if we must drag him kicking and screaming to the page.

Thank you all for your comments!!

One last spoiler:

Hidden: 

“Unhand me,” Mose sputtered. He looked like a drowned cat. “Whatever did Noah see in you!”
“My brilliance?” Wolf suggested, brightly. “My charm? My…” –he searched his English for the right word, and failed—“führungsqualität?”
Mose, his mouth opening in outrage, paused. “Your what?”
“Führungsqualität. My... ah! Carry-ism. My carry-ism.”
“Your carry-ism,” Mose said, flatly.

[align=left]

enneamom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 11:51 am
I love seeing the research that went into it; I've been a Civil War buff in the past and it's a fascinating period. It's interesting to see the conflict from the South's POV. I wonder how that will tie into the theme of the Orthodox/Reform split.

Oh, and thanks guys for hiding your spoilers! I save my Grey Lines for Shabbos perusal, to enjoy over some excellent charlotte russe (I wish! LOL)

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 2:32 pm
EG, if you hadnt thrown in the line about Wolf's letter being in Noah's pocket, I was sure this was going to be a story about mistaken identity and Noah surviving with amnesia only to resurface later.

So, is Madame Caroline the Reform girl gonna end up marrying the Frimmer Volf Adler? Wink

sunny90

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 2:59 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

So, is Madame Caroline the Reform girl gonna end up marrying the Frimmer Volf Adler? Wink

I was pretty certain of that from the beginning! I guess we'll see!

Mom3SV

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 4:44 pm
I had a feeling someone was going to die but I have to admit I was a little shocked and saddened last week. BDE. I liked Noah Sad
I don't think Obermeyer died. He became sick and was taken to a hospital but I think EG would have mentioned something about him dying if he did. I'm pretty sure we'll still see him somewhere. (At Volf and Caro's wedding? - I can't envision it - it's too far-fetched, but then again...)

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 4:51 pm
I can't stand Gusta. She's even more shallow than Caro. How's her Nathan doing?
And Caro's dream about Noah saying goodbye got me really nervous, especially when he said 'you must be good while I'm gone.' As if he's coming back... *shudder*

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 7:14 pm
sunny90 wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

You thought Noah would die?

zigi

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 11:40 am
wow I cried during the burial part. caro is annoying though. I really like the war and battle scenes.

sunny90

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 1:09 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:
sunny90 wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

You thought Noah would die?

Well, kind of. Wolf and Caro are kind of the protagonists and Noah wasn't such a huge character so I assumed he'd drop out of the picture at some point. Then when they went off to war I figured he'd be killed.

supermama2

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 9:56 am
I very much enjoy this one!! I was disappointed when Noah was killed though...I also suspect Wolf becoming more involved with the family, though wouldn't it be strange for Caro to marry one who buried her betrothed?? I have mixed feeling on that one... Glad to see that I'm not the only one very much enjoying The Grey Lines!

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 1:54 pm
I love Wolf's character so much and am in awe of the author for producing him. Not worthy

sunny90

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 3:24 pm
seeker wrote:
I love Wolf's character so much and am in awe of the author for producing him. Not worthy

Yes, he's a great character. And hilarious too! Caro really gets on my nerves though. I don't think I would have had much tolerance for Southern women in the 1800s.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 7:12 pm
oh, EG, not Mose too!!

rise above

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 9:53 am
My guess would be that he is not dead, just injured enough for Wolf to have to return him to his family and somehow influence At least Caro to authentic Jewish life..

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:21 am
I haven't read this week's installment but could you imagine Mother's reaction if Caro went and married a religious foreigner (after she told Becca that she felt no connection with her ancestors - or something to that effect)?
I guess war is a great leveler...

willow

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:22 am
I love love the history. It makes that era so understandable. I find the reform pulling away from traditional soo fascinating.

motherhen

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 8:27 pm
I was personally happy to see Noah go...knew it would be someone and his character was kinda...empty...ditto for loving Wolf, he's awesome! and I dont think Gustas shallow at all...shes just a busy mom. dont we all have shallow mommy moments too often?

motherhen

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 8:28 pm
and scotty-why are caros parents not on your personae list?? id love to see your take on them

rise above

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 1:41 pm
Scotty, can I embarrassed fantasize that you added the sidebar this week because I asked for it!
Oh how powerful I would like my voice to be Smile
Page 2 of 32   Previous  1  2  3   30  31  32  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room