Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Intuitive eating
  Previous  1  2  3   17  18  19  Next

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 10:43 am
Smss, that's great!

I've lost about 40 pounds in the last 3 years, mostly by eating less sugar, potato, and other simple carbs, which are triggers for me, and eating more protein and vegetables.

One thing I lke about her approach is the recognition hat each body is unique.

For example, I do not eat breakfast. All the diet books say to eat breakfast, but I am usually not hungry in the morning, and when I force myself to eat breakfast, even something small and healthy, I tend to overeat during the day.

This approach explains why that could make perfect sense, and how I should keep doing what I know to be right for me.

It also speaks to what I dislike about the OA approach. I LIKE my body. I trust it. The only reason I may binge is because of this cycle of deprivation and gluttony. Depriving it further, and playing the mind game of "just for today" ("Riiight", my body says. "Does that mean I can eat it tomorrow?") is an insult to my strength, and doesn't even work.

I have said for years that becoming frum proved something important to me about food.

I used to be told that I would be thin if I only had enough self control about food. Taking on the mitzvah of kashrut pretty much blew that theory away. I liked the taste of shrimp, lobster, bacon, and cheeseburger very much, but had not the least difficulty giving them up. I have never once wished to start eating them again.

If my problem was a lack of self control, why wouldn't I go on traif binges regularly?

Reading this book helps me understand why that is so.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 12:52 pm
zissy2004 wrote:
SMS, that could be but then you have to be careful not to crave these foods even more because you're not allowed to have them, do you know what I mean?

Well, ima singer, I started on Thursday and I am just so excited about this book that I want to share it with the world. Look only in this forum, I started quite a few threads with different diets lol, You cannot even imagine how freeing it is to just eat whatever I want without thinking should I or is it the time now or so on.
For the first time in 20 years I have not finished my plate on Shabbos and by a bar mitzvah last night.
I have full of nosh in my cupboard and for the first time also in many yrs I do not have the urge to open it all the time and eat.
For me this is major, I used to eat all day long and I had no interest in eating vegetables or fruits. And yesterday I suddenly wanted to eat some raw vegetables so I guess if you don't have this feeling of I " have to" then you will start to want to.

Sorry for this long ramble but for me this is like a miracle, I have done everything including OA and after oa failed as well I felt like a totally lost case and I was ready to go and have the operation.
Hashem steered me to this book and I hope I have found the answer.

I read the overfed head first and am in middle of this one now.
Thanks for the links amother and btw I'm on 3 fat chicks too, I'm Helen22 on there.
I read all the threads and learned tons from there.
I wish we could start a revolution in the Jewish world Smile

Since weight loss is not guaranteed to be quick, I give myself 2 and a half years until the bar mitzvah of my son to get to a healthy weight.

I found that the IE# 17 thread had a lot more info that was new to me and I've actually cut and paste a lot of it onto a word document to reread.

I wish you much hatzlacha you'll get there BEH at your son's bar mitzvah!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 12:59 pm
imasinger wrote:
Smss, that's great!

I've lost about 40 pounds in the last 3 years, mostly by eating less sugar, potato, and other simple carbs, which are triggers for me, and eating more protein and vegetables.

One thing I lke about her approach is the recognition hat each body is unique.

For example, I do not eat breakfast. All the diet books say to eat breakfast, but I am usually not hungry in the morning, and when I force myself to eat breakfast, even something small and healthy, I tend to overeat during the day.

This approach explains why that could make perfect sense, and how I should keep doing what I know to be right for me.

It also speaks to what I dislike about the OA approach. I LIKE my body. I trust it. The only reason I may binge is because of this cycle of deprivation and gluttony. Depriving it further, and playing the mind game of "just for today" ("Riiight", my body says. "Does that mean I can eat it tomorrow?") is an insult to my strength, and doesn't even work.

I have said for years that becoming frum proved something important to me about food.

I used to be told that I would be thin if I only had enough self control about food. Taking on the mitzvah of kashrut pretty much blew that theory away. I liked the taste of shrimp, lobster, bacon, and cheeseburger very much, but had not the least difficulty giving them up. I have never once wished to start eating them again.

If my problem was a lack of self control, why wouldn't I go on traif binges regularly?

Reading this book helps me understand why that is so.

I'm also not hungry in the morning in fact I'm very rarely hungry- after watching this and learning about the way leptin works, it makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....JnFwC

She explains how the hormones work fascinating,you could skip the first 2-3 minutes if you want.

zissy2004

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
zissy2004 wrote:
SMS, that could be but then you have to be careful not to crave these foods even more because you're not allowed to have them, do you know what I mean?

Well, ima singer, I started on Thursday and I am just so excited about this book that I want to share it with the world. Look only in this forum, I started quite a few threads with different diets lol, You cannot even imagine how freeing it is to just eat whatever I want without thinking should I or is it the time now or so on.
For the first time in 20 years I have not finished my plate on Shabbos and by a bar mitzvah last night.
I have full of nosh in my cupboard and for the first time also in many yrs I do not have the urge to open it all the time and eat.
For me this is major, I used to eat all day long and I had no interest in eating vegetables or fruits. And yesterday I suddenly wanted to eat some raw vegetables so I guess if you don't have this feeling of I " have to" then you will start to want to.

Sorry for this long ramble but for me this is like a miracle, I have done everything including OA and after oa failed as well I felt like a totally lost case and I was ready to go and have the operation.

Thanks for the links amother and btw I'm on 3 fat chicks too, I'm Helen22 on there.

Since weight loss is not guaranteed to be quick, I give myself 2 and a half years until the bar mitzvah of my son to get to a healthy weight.

I found that the IE# 17 thread had a lot more info that was new to me and I've actually cut and paste a lot of it onto a word document to reread.

Thanks!! Ill go read thread nr 17...
On a different thread (7 secrets) amother posted some links to read. All of them are good but one explains something so brilliant, ill paste the link here.

http://thefuckitdiet.com/2012/.....full/

Excuse the language lol.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 2:20 pm
zissy2004 wrote:
amother wrote:
zissy2004 wrote:

Thanks!! Ill go read thread nr 17...
On a different thread (7 secrets) amother posted some links to read. All of them are good but one explains something so brilliant, ill paste the link here.

http://thefuckitdiet.com/2012/.....full/

Excuse the language lol.

Yup I'm that amother actually, glad you liked Wink

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 2:22 pm
And I, (diff amother than above) am the OP of the other thread (7 secrets) and I also appreciated your links on my thread.

Thanks!

zissy2004

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:02 pm
This is meant in the nicest way possible but is there a reason why both of you are amother? It's just because it gets confusing when there is more than one a mother on the thread LOL. It's not really something to be ashamed of?
Amother, thanks for all links, this blog I found the best of all links!!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:48 pm
zissy2004 wrote:
This is meant in the nicest way possible but is there a reason why both of you are amother? It's just because it gets confusing when there is more than one a mother on the thread LOL. It's not really something to be ashamed of?

Links amother here:
I'm just very shy! embarrassed

zissy2004

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
zissy2004 wrote:

Links amother here:

Would you pm me? I would love to chat with you Smile

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 5:31 pm
zissy2004 wrote:
amother wrote:
zissy2004 wrote:

Links amother here:

Would you pm me? I would love to chat with you Smile

I just might!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 5:35 pm
I'm the OP from the seven secrets thread. I'm really self-conscious about my weight, which is why I prefer to remain anonymous. Some people talk and joke about their weight constantly, and I am just not one of those. I find motivation extremely difficult, and have yet to succeed on a diet for a reasonable amount of time. Finding the seven secrets book was a godsend, and looking forward to the day when intuitive eating is second nature. My food choices are not the greatest because life is so busy- as I wrote in one of these threads - the hardest is food on the go. I end up keeping individual wafers in my purse which is bad when all I ate that morning and afternoon was 3 wafers (even though I only ate when I was hungry). Too many days are looking like that- and I think perhaps that is why I'm not seeing any obvious weight loss yet.
The nuts are a good idea though. I have to try that. I'm really excited to have people to share with and get support from.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 5:36 pm
amother from other thread again - I tried to make my font red, but it did not work. once I figure it out, I'll try to always be red.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 5:37 pm
AHA! GOT IT!!!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 6:06 pm
You could use string cheese, hard eggs and fruit too the thing is I usually have the nuts in my bag and so If running out I know I have something.
I find that protein with some fat is more filling...

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 9:27 pm
this sounds so interesting, I do not have kindle is there any way for me to read this book?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
this sounds so interesting, I do not have kindle is there any way for me to read this book?

I'm not sure but you could google "the overfed head pdf" and download free and read on your computer.

zissy2004

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 2:00 am
If you have a computer, Google download Kindle for PC and follow the instructions. Then you can buy the book and it downloads automatically to your computer. It is very annoying that you can only buy it in Kindle format.

I would like this thread to become a support for our journeys because hopefully this will be my last one. I will keep posting my progress here and I invite you to do the same Smile
Scale went slightly down again!!

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 4:00 am
Love this thread.

zissy2004

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 4:50 am
Smile chassidmom. Me too! I hope this thread will go on for 100 pages lol because that means we will eat that way forever!

Btw CM, did you read the book? I just read the first few pages to a friend where she describes how a diet binge cycle goes and we were both platzing and asking if she lives secretly in our house haha

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 8:37 am
I haven't read this book although I've read many others. I have always been drawn to intuitive eating even if I haven't been very successful at it.... I have had weight loss surgery and I see that it's right back into diet mentality because if you eat a bit more than you "should" the weight comes back on. Very frustrating.
Page 2 of 19   Previous  1  2  3   17  18  19  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise