Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hostess Gift: Would you rather get flowers/chocolate/dish???
1  2  3  Next

mother4

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:11 am
I'm going away just for a Shabbos, and need to get my hostess a gift.

Me personally - I don't care for flowers, and don't appreciate getting more chocolate and candy. I'm a rather practical person, like a game for kids or something useful for house.

I understand most ppl. do enjoy the above mentioned.

What would you enjoy getting as gift? I need a nice idea...

m+m

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:21 am
I think a dish is a nice gift because it can be used more than once versus flowers or chocolate that don't last. What about nice salt shakers? A tablecloth? If they have kids maybe get something small for the kids as well (a game or toy or a cool nosh)

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:24 am
I like flowers or chocolate. plus, ast thing I want is one more dish/bowl/whatever in my house.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:36 am
I recently went away and I being that the hostess has a big family I bought an expensive game. The hostess then told me she appreciated the game much more than choc. She says another game the kids can always use. There's no such a thing has having enough toys or games.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:49 am
What I would REALLY appreciate would be a couple of nice dark-color hand towels, or a pair of oven mitts and/or dish towels in my milchik or fleishik colors. If I don't use them now, I'll surely use them for Pesach.

they're not perishable, fattening or allergenic, don't have to be toiveled, dusted or mounted on a wall, and will NOT be regifted.

Failing that, I could go for some nice exotic fresh fruit that I've either never had before, can't readily find in my store, or don't buy because it's expensive for a fruit. I mean, $8 is not that much for a hostess gift, but would I buy even a nice melon for that sum? Not on your life.

Please, please no useless serving dishes. They will only be regifted immediately. On second thought--please do give me a useless serving dish and save me the job and expense of buying a gift for the next person who invites me to a Shabbos meal.

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:54 am
zaq wrote:
What I would REALLY appreciate would be a couple of nice dark-color hand towels, or a pair of oven mitts and/or dish towels in my milchik or fleishik colors. If I don't use them now, I'll surely use them for Pesach.

they're not perishable, fattening or allergenic, don't have to be toiveled, dusted or mounted on a wall, and will NOT be regifted.

Failing that, I could go for some nice exotic fresh fruit that I've either never had before, can't readily find in my store, or don't buy because it's expensive for a fruit. I mean, $8 is not that much for a hostess gift, but would I buy even a nice melon for that sum? Not on your life.

Please, please no useless serving dishes. They will only be regifted immediately. On second thought--please do give me a useless serving dish and save me the job and expense of buying a gift for the next person who invites me to a Shabbos meal.

So those serving dishes are the Jewish equivalent of fruitcake -- there are actually only a very small number of them in the world, but they get re-gifted so often, it seems as if there are more.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:56 am
I'm fine with any of nice quality.

If chocolate is the cheapo parve type, then I definitely prefer flowers. Dish, only if you know I can eat from you (kashrus wise, MSG wise etc).

At worst I prefer no gift to a blah one. But flowers are always nice. To me. There are people who are allergic etc.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 11:17 am
I can always use more salad bowls.

Wine is probably my favourite gift. We use a bottle per week so its always useful. Mevushal please.

Fruit is usually appreciated - especially something a bit exotic I might not buy generally - strawberries, cherries, etc.

really, I am happy with almost anything. Except possibly (tacky) artwork. I may not like it and never have time to hang stuff.

mother4

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 12:04 pm
OP.
I appreciate the input.
Hmm..
Towels...I don't know what colors to match...maybe something neutral is a good idea
Fruits...you mean a cut up platter? (I'm not walking in with a bag of exotic fruit from grocery)
Maybe I'll just get dreidel nosh for kids, and flowers for Mom......

When she came to me she got parve choc/candy platter. I don't want to get back same thing

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 12:48 pm
Barbara wrote:

So those serving dishes are the Jewish equivalent of fruitcake -- there are actually only a very small number of them in the world, but they get re-gifted so often, it seems as if there are more.

LOL LOL LOL

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 12:51 pm
If its for a whole shabbos aka sleeping over I usually get either a platter of chocolate or a 12 pack of ice cream razzle or sourbet from the ice cream store and a game. If its for a meal than its just the food. Flowers are nice as well as wine. I say as long as you bring something it shows that you appreciate it.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 1:01 pm
I don't care really.

If it's a serving dish and I don't like it, I can relegate it to the Pesach dairy collection, where all my weird tableware gifts wind up.

Good chocolate (Belgiuan, etc.) is never refused.

Fruit is good for you! I like fruit.

I am easy to please in the shabbat-gift department.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 1:09 pm
I don't like flowers - they just die and I'm left cleaning the vase (a gift that causes more work)

Whenever I can't thinkp of a gift I buy a plant. I think that's a nice gift. If they don't want to deal with it they can leave it outside to get watered by rain - and eventually it will die

If they like it, it will keep growing

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 1:25 pm
The best hostess gifts I have gotten are cook books. I love them!

b from nj

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 1:43 pm
Personally, I prefer when ppl. ask what they can bring to make it easier for me. If I want I can say, just bring yourselves but to be honest, if someone wants to bring something for dessert like a cake/candy or fruit, I'd rather know about it in advance b/c it'll be less that I will have to prepare. If you ask what to bring & the person says nothing & really seems to mean it, then I would get a pretty platter or serving dish, preferably toveled that I know they will be able to use at the meal. A nice washing cup is also a good idea. Basically anything that shows that you went out of your way to get something to show your appreciation is a nice gesture.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 1:47 pm
flowerpower wrote:
If its for a whole shabbos aka sleeping over I usually get either a platter of chocolate or a 12 pack of ice cream razzle or sourbet from the ice cream store and a game. If its for a meal than its just the food. Flowers are nice as well as wine. I say as long as you bring something it shows that you appreciate it.

Sounds yum! Do we know each other IRL? Can I invite you for Shabbos?!

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 2:19 pm
If you bring flowers, remember to bring it in a vase. I hate when people bring flowers to my door 5 seconds before shabbos.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 2:36 pm
Flowers are tricky. Many people I know are allergic. I like them, but some women HATE them. My DIL says "Don't bring me flowers, I'm not dead!"

I love the idea of a game for the kids. "Spot It, Bananagrams, Old Maid" and other types are wonderful, and will get lots of use.

A non flowering plant is always safe. I usually bring an expensive fruit, like a carton of strawberries, blueberries, etc. If I had produce from my garden like fresh tomatoes, I'd bring that.

anuta

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 2:49 pm
I would like to differ and I personally would appreciate a serving dish or something cute for the kitchen or serving food. I like those things, as well as cookbooks..... Challah covers, tablecloths, pretty saltshakers, aprons, potholders, etc.....
I think games are a nice idea too..... but first you have to make sure they don't already have this game. Flowers and chocolate and wine are fine also. But if I am staying over the whole Shabbat, I would bring another gift in addition to flowers.

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 3:12 pm
Herein lies the problem.

Zaq wants kitchen towels. We have a friend who always brings kitchen towels; no one I know likes them.

Zaq doesn't want serving pieces. Anuta does.

Chayalle will be Flowerpower's BFF if Flowerpower shown up with ices. I'd give her the stink eye. Am I supposed to rearrange or clear out my tiny freezer for your ices? I don't even LIKE ices.

MiracleMama likes cookbooks. I'd wonder if it were a not-so-subtle hint. "Barbara, babes. We love you, but we're tired of the same old, same old. Which, truth be told, doesn't taste so good to begin with."

You can't win. Just do your best.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics