Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
And I thought hilchos niddah was hard.
1  2  Next

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:59 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/.....tem13

black and white

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 2:16 pm
Horrible

Last edited by black and white on Thu, Mar 06 2014, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

black and white

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 2:17 pm
black and white wrote:
Horrifying..
I once saw a documentary how they literally cut out the female membrane in girls where all the pleasure from intimacy is felt.
And without anesthetic , mind you. A lot of them die afterwards.
Barbarians really.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 2:38 pm
black and white wrote:

AKA female circumcision. I've read about that in a different context. It is practiced by some tribes in Africa and the men won't sleep with the women unless they do it. And they have to keep on cutting themselves. Not only can't they get pleasure from it but it hurts every time and causes serious infection. I don't understand the desire to be with someone who will only be with you if you cause yourself serious harm by doing so and taking away any pleasure that may be in it for you but I guess I'll just never understand that.

black and white

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:17 pm
There is nothing to understand.
These poor women have no choice in the matter.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:47 pm
Am I missing something? All I see is the headline and the pictures. Is there more to it? What's the tradition? Why are they kicked out?

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:59 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Am I missing something? All I see is the headline and the pictures. Is there more to it? What's the tradition? Why are they kicked out?

I guess they get kicked out cause its tradition to do that while they are niddah.

kb

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:26 pm
You can press see captions to see some explanation of the pictures.

cinnamon

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:42 pm
I googled it a little. Most of the articles I found describe how horrible and dangerous it is for the women and what a backwards practice it is.
There was one article however that said some of the women who were interviewed actually enjoy it. They said all the menstruating women gather together in a cave outside the village and spend their time resting and talking.

It's really hard to know the truth from google.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:09 pm
in biblical times didnt jewish women also get separated to an extreme? separate tents, utensils, chairs etc? how is this any different?

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:15 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
in biblical times didnt jewish women also get separated to an extreme? separate tents, utensils, chairs etc? how is this any different?

I also thought that

SplitPea

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:18 pm
When moshiach comes and Beit ha mikdash is here I think we are all in for a shock of how some of these rules will affect our lives. No we won't live in a hut and be exposed to animals. But we will have our own chairs, dishes, I think houses, etc.

bookworm10

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:21 pm
This does seem barbaric- but like ^ said, to some extent this was practiced in Biblical times. Right?

black and white

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:25 pm
I meant the female circumcision is barbaric

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:33 pm
SplitPea wrote:
When moshiach comes and Beit ha mikdash is here I think we are all in for a shock of how some of these rules will affect our lives. No we won't live in a hut and be exposed to animals. But we will have our own chairs, dishes, I think houses, etc.

When moshiach comes, there won't be any tumah, impurity. There will be no need to separate if there won't be any tumah. In past generations though they did live like that.

bookworm10

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:36 pm
It seems barbaric to me to live in separate homes with no clean water, heat- animals attacking, etc. The female circumcision is beyond... I have no words for that.

How do we know there is going to be no tumah? Isnt niddah always going to be around?

esther09

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 7:37 pm
bookworm10 wrote:
It seems barbaric to me to live in separate homes with no clean water, heat- animals attacking, etc. The female circumcision is beyond... I have no words for that.

How do we know there is going to be no tumah? Isnt niddah always going to be around?

So interesting! Can someone who knows more about the thought behind these ideas expand / start a spinoff?

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 8:40 pm
There's separate tents and then there's separate tents. I would like to hope that in biblical times they treated the women's separate tents better than the villagers pictured.

Daffi

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 8:52 pm
Just a thought…you have to remember that this is the medias portrayal of nepal custom. As we know the liberal media has a way of spinning things to make customs and traditions that they don't understand or agree with to look horrible. There are many of our beautiful customs that they would spin to look just as bad…
Im curious to hear what the nepal women have to say about this custom!!

doctorima

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
When moshiach comes, there won't be any tumah, impurity. There will be no need to separate if there won't be any tumah. In past generations though they did live like that.

This sounds really nice, but I've never heard that. Do you have a source for saying there will be no more impurity when Moshiach comes? It doesn't seem to make sense. Women won't menstruate anymore and won't have children? These things cause ritual impurity, as do many other categories that presumably will continue then as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics