Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Best/ Worst / Funniest MM You Got
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Blue jay

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:18 pm
amother wrote:
We got one that said We "WIC" You a Happy Purim! Milk, small cherries and beans were included stuff u get from wic!

oy.... shock

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:24 pm
lkwdmommy wrote:
We got a few of the salads that Postiv advertised this year.

I am SO doing this next year. This was the best one we got and the only normal thing my kids ate Very Happy

sky

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
We got one that said We "WIC" You a Happy Purim! Milk, small cherries and beans were included stuff u get from wic!

I actually think that is funny. We got peanut butter balls from 2 families and I joked to my DH it makes a great WIC m'm. Peanut butter and cereal are covered. You just need the dipping chocolate.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:45 pm
I hate to be a killjoy, but I have a serious concern regarding mishloach manos. My family members have severe allergies to nuts/sesame and though we finally came to a point where some schools are sensitive to this issue, and are peanut/nut free, the same sensitivity was not shown with mishloach manos. I read through these 5 pages, and several people sent hummus, peanut butter balls etc. These foods can have fatal repercussions, as these allergens are airborne, so the person does not even have to touch the food or eat the food to suffer an anaphylactic reaction. One of my family members almost died from anaphylactic shock, so I am more sensitive about this. But perhaps it is time as a community to take this issue more seriously, so we do not indirectly cause another person harm.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:
I hate to be a killjoy, but I have a serious concern regarding mishloach manos. My family members have severe allergies to nuts/sesame and though we finally came to a point where some schools are sensitive to this issue, and are peanut/nut free, the same sensitivity was not shown with mishloach manos. I read through these 5 pages, and several people sent hummus, peanut butter balls etc. These foods can have fatal repercussions, as these allergens are airborne, so the person does not even have to touch the food or eat the food to suffer an anaphylactic reaction. One of my family members almost died from anaphylactic shock, so I am more sensitive about this. But perhaps it is time as a community to take this issue more seriously, so we do not indirectly cause another person harm.

People are allergic to different things, and not everyone knows what everyone else is allergic to. One of my DDs is severely allergic to chestnuts, so before she rips into the MM she checks or asks first. I can't and don't expect the whole neighborhood to know that.

cbg

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:56 pm
Best /cutest/useful mm: My friend sent bag of pre-checked salad, cherry tomatoes, avocado, heart of Palm, and salad dressing. It was put into a beautiful plastic salad bowl and salad scissor tongs. Her family was dressed like chefs. Chefs hats and custom made aprons with the family name. I think she bought the iron on in Office Depot, and made it on the computer. I used the salad for the seuda.

cbg

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:58 pm
Worst: not chalav yisrael chocolate, not pat yisrael things. People that sent this knows better which was the worst part.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:00 pm
I liked all those little bottles of Kedem grape juice!

Volunteer

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:45 am
Well, I started this thread for research purposes (as it says in the OP), to find out a little sampling of what people like, and honestly don't like. The idea wasn't to be rude or unappreciative. I think most responses have been positive. That's also why I asked that responses for "worst" be general, not complaining.

I have learned a few things. I'm surprised by how many women said they appreciate "meal" type foods, and healthier options. I like these too, but I wasn't sure how many other people do, since the snacks and candy are so prevalent.
I was also expecting to get more responses about cards or personal notes included in MM's (not including personal info, obviously, just in general). Do most people not give those, or not look at those?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:29 am
Strangest - A can of corn and a can of tuna, in a paper bag.

Best - pita, hummos, mixed olives in a little cup, and home made pastries.

Nothing that qualifies as "worst" this year, but last year it was a container of strawberries covered in chocolate syrup and whipped cream. The kids must have delivered it, because by the time it got to my door it was a mushy mess!

Oh, another strange one. I always give MM to my secular Jewish neighbors (kiruv through food!) A couple years ago one of them gave me MM, and not a single thing in it was kosher. Confused

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:01 am
It's funny - growing up in Brooklyn way back when, no one gave anything home-made. Ever.
These days, in my area, people seem to prefer home made food.

The best one this year was the family that left cookies and iced coffee at the door. I came home after round one of deliveries with my head in an uncaffeinated fog and was so appreciative. Someone else gave us some sort of Chinese couscous dish that I had for dinner after the seudah cleanup and it hit the spot.
We usually get at least one sushi MM, I was really looking forward to it this year, but none came.

Liba

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:26 am
amother wrote:

I have a child anaphylactic to fish and severely allergic to dairy.

If people have severe allergies they need to have a plan to keep safe, but you really can't expect everyone to avoid all allergens in MM. Maybe those with severe allergies could post signs on their doors listing their allergies and asking that people not deliver items they are allergic to?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:21 am
Liba wrote:
I have a child anaphylactic to fish and severely allergic to dairy.

If people have severe allergies they need to have a plan to keep safe, but you really can't expect everyone to avoid all allergens in MM. Maybe those with severe allergies could post signs on their doors listing their allergies and asking that people not deliver items they are allergic to?

You can plan all you want, you can't keep your child safe in an unsafe environment. I cannot expect everyone to ban all chocolate bars that contain nuts, but those are sealed items and my child won't open that or eat that. But sesame allergens are airborne, and by it coming into my house, my child can react.
Like I said, schools have become nut free because of the severity of this and how common it is today. Perhaps as a community we can be more aware.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:06 am
I believe there is a mother on here who has a child who is allergic to nuts. If I remember correctly she hung up a sign on her door stating no nuts. And anything that had nuts went into a bag on her front doorknob to further the point.

MommytoB

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:18 am
My son had an anaphylactic reaction so sesame and has a few other allergies as well.

I would never expect that other people's MM conform to our allergies! When we go over for a meal, or to play, then yes I tell about the allergies. However, MM is completely different IMO.

It's my responsibility as his parent, to go through the baskets and make sure to separate out problematic foods. It's not other peoples job to remember the many different allergies people in the community have. Should everyone avoid the top 8 (9 with sesame) allergens in their MM? What about gluten? No! Our kids live in a world surrounded by allergens and this is as good a time as any to teach about substitutions.

If a family has severe airborne allergies, they already make the accommodations they need to every day to keep their child safe and this is no different. The mom with the note and bag on her door is a good example.

Liba

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
You can plan all you want, you can't keep your child safe in an unsafe environment. I cannot expect everyone to ban all chocolate bars that contain nuts, but those are sealed items and my child won't open that or eat that. But sesame allergens are airborne, and by it coming into my house, my child can react.
Like I said, schools have become nut free because of the severity of this and how common it is today. Perhaps as a community we can be more aware.

Fish is also an airborne allergy. Hence the need for people to post signs on their doors and make sure people are aware when they are delivering MM.

Expecting all MM to be totally free of all potential allergens, not just for the families dealing with specific allergies, seems unachievable.

No nuts, no sesame, no fish, no eggs, no dairy, no fruit (banana, kiwi, strawberry are the most common fruit allergies, though far from the only offenders, I know someone who reacts to watermelon and tropical fruit). Yes these can all cause anaphylaxis through air born contact!

ButterflyGarden

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:50 am
MommytoB wrote:

It's my responsibility as his parent, to go through the baskets and make sure to separate out problematic foods. It's not other peoples job to remember the many different allergies people in the community have. Should everyone avoid the top 8 (9 with sesame) allergens in their MM? What about gluten? No! Our kids live in a world surrounded by allergens and this is as good a time as any to teach about substitutions.

I agree. For that matter how far would it go? What about diabetics? So now we are all making sugar-free, nut-free, peanut-free, gluten-free, sesame-free, milk-free, egg-free, fat-free, soy-free, fish-free mishlach manot? And don't forget it has to be healthy too. What Dont know

I guess next year I'll send celery and a potato.

ButterflyGarden

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:52 am
OH, I have a friend who is allergic to chocolate. (no joke) She can't walk into bakeries because she get a reaction from the smell.

MommytoB

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 10:09 am
Just a clarification about airborne allergies. I see some people using the term that this food is an airborne allergen and so is that.

In actuality, most foods can have tiny airborne particles and in a small percentage of people they can suffer a reaction from these particles. However, based on studies it is a small percentage of allergy sufferers and it is not specific foods.

For example, it was written than sesame is an airborne allergen. For sensitive people, yes it can cause reactions. However, for most (my son included who had the aforementioned anaphylactic reaction), the reaction is from contact or ingestion.

People who suffer from airborne reactions are much more cautious and should post those signs. They can also use the American for disabilities act when they go on an airplane to request no peanuts are served on a flight. But not all allergy sufferers need to do that.

Ok allergen lesson over Smile

Chickpea

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
Funniest was a whole smoked fish on ice in a bag!

That actually sounds good! But did the ice count as the second food? LOL
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics