Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bacon replacement
1  2  Next

Blue jay

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:29 am
Alot of recipes call for bacon,

What would be a good substitute? any ideas?

smss

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:31 am
I've heard of beef fry. haven't tried it though.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:37 am
morning star has a bacon strips that is vegetarian - but I think it's ok-dairy

morah

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:40 am
Jack's makes something called "Facon". It's really good (though I can't say how it compares to the real deal, you'd need to ask a BT). It's basically super fatty smoked pastrami. If you can't find it, regular pastrami should do.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:40 am
I tried the Jack's Gourmet Facon, and was not overly impressed - it seemed basically the same as pastrami, and for the price I paid, I would have preferred to see a big difference. Maybe try regular pastrami? If your recipes are pareve/milchig, I second the Morningstar suggestion - we love those!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:44 am
they have a pareve faken bacon at whole foods - but it is like rubber

[p.s. I can't vouch for taste because the smell turns me off - but my daughter's love the idea and prefer the morning star]

Blue jay

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:48 am
I am supposed to include bacon in the meatball chop meat. Should I fry up the pastrami first and chop into pieces? Or what about Bacos? ( if they are pareve?)
Thanks for the ideas ladies!

I do like the morningstar brand, too bad its dairy!

SplitPea

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:50 am
Nothing replaces real good cured pork bacon

- a convert

Blue jay

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:52 am
SplitPea wrote:
Nothing replaces real good cured pork bacon

- a convert

I know, but back in the day my pre-BT days that is, I used to like turkey bacon, and there was no pork in it at all!

Does any one here work for A&B or Empire? TURKEY BACON.... this could mean big sales! Very Happy

SplitPea

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:59 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
I know, but back in the day my pre-BT days that is, I used to like turkey bacon, and there was no pork in it at all!

Does any one here work for A&B or Empire? TURKEY BACON.... this could mean big sales! Very Happy

They make a kosher turkey and lamb bacon.... But I think they need a BT or convert taste tester.... Lol we need someone from Oscar Mayer to convert!

Blue jay

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:03 pm
SplitPea wrote:
They make a kosher turkey and lamb bacon.... But I think they need a BT or convert taste tester.... Lol we need someone from Oscar Mayer to convert!

LOL Meet Oscar Meyerstein!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:05 pm
Why do you need a BT or ger? Hire a [non jew]

egam

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:09 pm
You can also try Aaron's best beef fry. I like it better than facon. Also my budding chef DS insists that Jack's facon is better and that beef fry is so cured that it lost it's meat texture.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:11 pm
This "beef fry" sounds like it might do the trick and I do like the Aarons brand.

egam

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:11 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
I am supposed to include bacon in the meatball chop meat. Should I fry up the pastrami first and chop into pieces? Or what about Bacos? ( if they are pareve?)
Thanks for the ideas ladies!

I do like the morningstar brand, too bad its dairy!

You chop it first and then fry.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:13 pm
egam wrote:
You chop it first and then fry.

Thanks!, That was my next question!

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:09 pm
Don't know how helpful this is, but my husband has added smoked tuna to omelets before and I've thought it smelled exactly like bacon, although I can't vouch for taste. --another convert here, Southerner even, so I know what I'm talking about. ;-)

CatLady

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:20 pm
I buy smoked turkey legs, which IMHO do the job nicely when chopped.

(My qualifications: BT, with a background of, uhmmmmm, research into the field of bacon-cheeseburgers Wink )

And I will always be amused by the hechsher on the Ultimate BBQ Ruffles chips on sale in Canada, yup, the bag with the huge graphic of a slab of sauced-and-grilled baby back ribs - not only are they kosher, but they're dairy! LOL LOL LOL

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:40 pm
I used Jacks Facon in recipes and taste tested with BTs and a convert. I thought I was the only one to do this. They tell me it is good. I

I don't taste the pastrami taste. It is definitely prepared differently. It uses different spices.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:53 pm
I made this for rosh hashana If it's the same recipe. The facon by jacks was very yummy but pricey.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen