Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Stainless steel and Kashrut
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 10:10 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Actually, you are mistaken. It is not kosher for you to eat at her parents house. It is her das Torah. You should ask your own rabbi.

I think you missed my point! I am not in the position of saying if her parents house is kosher or not, or if the decision that her rabbi made was correct or not. I just am a believer in consistency.

Either someone would render all stainless steel does not absorb taste under all circumstances, or it does and should never be used by meat and dairy at the same time.

Either something has a full blown kosher status to someone, or it has not. I just don't believe in half kashrut.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
I think you missed my point! I am not in the position of saying if her parents house is kosher or not, or if the decision that her rabbi made was correct or not. I just am a believer in consistency.

Either someone would render all stainless steel does not absorb taste under all circumstances, or it does and should never be used by meat and dairy at the same time.

Either something has a full blown kosher status to someone, or it has not. I just don't believe in half kashrut.
Not meat and dairy at the same time, I meant used for both meat and dairy, but obviously at different times!!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 10:55 pm
Actually, you are mistaken. It is not kosher for you to eat at her parents house. It is her das Torah. You should ask your own rabbi.

Further a classic Sheila where the same rabbi says the same thing to two different women is the women, 1 rich, one poor who cook their chickens with the livers in. The rich one has to get another chicken, the poor one doesn't. You don't sem to know nearly enough about kashrut if you think that 100 percent applies to much beyond the basics in kashrut.

Very little in kashrut is 100% identifiable as 100%. There are a lot of differences including between sefardi/Ashkenazi and a lot has to do with bedi avad or lehatchila. Das Torah is how we tell something is kosher. Even rabbi first, in his books which are considered a gold standard, teaches you to identify when you have a question and how and when to ask it to your own rabbi. So many issues have different opinions.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:07 pm
Hi, I'm the amother with a heter to eat at my inlaws house. Let me clarify. Our rabbi holds that it is kosher. He holds that stainless steel can not be made non kosher. As explained in the video in the OP. But in all other circumstances, we must keep a Higher standard (the normative standard).
Surely there must be someone who, for instance, keeps chalav yisroel, but will eat chalav stam with their kosher but not-as-kosher parents? Maybe not. Makes sense to me though. In the case of our particular family, our particular relationship with my in laws, it is appropriate, according to OUR rabbi, for US, to keep a lower standard (admittedly a very low standard!) in the interest of shalom bayis.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, I'm the amother with a heter to eat at my inlaws house. Let me clarify. Our rabbi holds that it is kosher. He holds that stainless steel can not be made non kosher. As explained in the video in the OP. But in all other circumstances, we must keep a Higher standard (the normative standard).
Surely there must be someone who, for instance, keeps chalav yisroel, but will eat chalav stam with their kosher but not-as-kosher parents? Maybe not. Makes sense to me though. In the case of our particular family, our particular relationship with my in laws, it is appropriate, according to OUR rabbi, for US, to keep a lower standard (admittedly a very low standard!) in the interest of shalom bayis.
OP here. Hi, I hope I didn't sound like I was diminishing your rabbi, quite the opposite!I think in a world where appearances matters most and each rabbi wants to be more machmir than the other, a rabbi that actually cares more about halacha than what people thinks is extremely rare. Many people confuse the normative way with halacha. "Das Torah"with actual Torah . Anyway, I think your rabbi seems to be very honest intelectually.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:30 pm
Thank you Very Happy
We are very lucky to have a very wise, honest and thoughtful Rabbi. He agrees with the Rabbi in the video that the baseline halacha is that stainless steel is like glass. However, as I stated, it is also important for us to do what is normative in our own home, not least of all in order to be in line with our community. But I think a good Rabbi will tell you where there is wiggle room in the halacha when it's for a good reason.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions