Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Am I the ONLY one who has had it??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 5:06 pm
I have a big soup pot and make soup once for the entire yomtov. I also make pickled salads for the first days, even though it's more work, because they will last a long time.

I make one kind of fish, generally. Chicken is baked all at the same time; chopped meat is formed into meatballs and meatloaf in one session.

DH only eats non processed food that we make ourselves, so he doesn't expect cake but he does expect applesauce which I make once and freeze in several containers. I make meringues every night that I can, and let them sit in the oven overnight. I also make nut cookies, but only one kind, and I bought 4 cookie sheets so I can bake more at a time.

Think of ways to ease the workload.

For us, the fish from the first days is also for lunch on chol hamoed; the salads too. Etc.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 5:44 pm
I'm with you OP. I just want to go home and sleep in my own bed and cook my own food.Going away for all of YT ain't what it's cracked up to be. I love my MIL to pieces but I think I am just going to cry if I have to eat another over boiled vegetable and dried out piece of turkey. Yeah. Seder leftovers for Shabbos. Sorry for the rant but I was feeling somewhat desperate.

OP, go on strike! Wish I could.

octopus

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 5:58 pm
anyone else sick of the endless dish washing? My skin was so soft and prunie that my regular stainless steel spatula sliced right through the skin and gave me a boo-boo. Crying

wispalover

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 6:22 pm
octopus wrote:
anyone else sick of the endless dish washing? My skin was so soft and prunie that my regular stainless steel spatula sliced right through the skin and gave me a boo-boo. Crying

I am pretty much done and I have barely cooked. I am just tired of hunting through the house for lunch stuff, tired of hearing "im hunnnnnnngry" and super tired of dishes and non-stop cleaning.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 6:34 pm
Whilst we're at it, I'm tired of struggling to feed my picky toddler who's refusing Pesach food, and am waiting for my super out-of-routine kids to be back in school.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 6:41 pm
fil is very sick and we decided spontanously that we have to spend pessach with IL. that part of the family is not observant, ie we had to fly and drive 4 hours with kids/toddlers, shlep ALL food along (meat, fish, dishes ...u name it), we had one afternoon to casher everything and spent jontif in a quite small appartment (4generations). I know we did the right thing but IM SO TIRED of serving everyone, hoping that the food will last till the last day ( cant purchase ANYTHING kosher in this village)...
endless discussions about kashrus, no minyan, no jontif-feeling... kids out of routine etc etc.
again I KNOW WE DID THE RIGHT THING ...B U T Im just so overwelmed and TIRED I wanna sleep in my house with my sheets eat fresh food and SLEEP.

thx for letting me share our this year pessach experience.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 10:06 pm
I cannot believe Shabbos just ended and I have to put on my chef hat again. I really don't usually mind cooking, but it's so much already. More importantly peeling all the potatoes, tomatoes, apples, pears, etc., etc. is just throwing me over the edge. Bleahhh!!!!!

sneakermom

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 10:22 pm
I've had years when I was really uptight all Pesach and could not wait to peel off the foil from my kitchen and call it a day.

This year BH I am enjoying it more. I keep telling myself that I'm lucky to spend my money and energy on Pesach with family.

I also do a lot of prep before Pesach. I have compote, sauté onions, cut up chicken breast, burgers, egg noodles and cake in the freezer.

A lot depends on the year. A new baby, pregnancy, a child (or spouse) going through a tough stage, feeling lonely or mobbed. When it comes to Pesach....the sky is the limit.

But we all sat by the Seder and celebrate the best we can with what we have. And that has to count for something Smile

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 10:34 pm
Okay. Got a good one for ya. (Not starting a new thread because this is really another instance of "Had it", I think.)

Cleaning lady walked out at 4 pm Friday (we had sent her to my kids from 9-1, not thinking, I guess, because, after all, it was 'Chaga' for her & she had to get home. (of course she's not coming Sunday).

DD was, keragil, trying to make the house perfect (I would just go w/ the flow, let the guests make their own beds if need be, whatever), and it seems she assigned DS to put up the blech. Somebody asked him if he's supposed to adjust the flames, & he said, no, I was just told to put the blech on the stove. (Of course this never happens when it's not Pesach, because we have a crockpot).

Well, some time after the meal I peek under the blech and see THREE flames (maximum should be 2 and one is QUITE HIGH. But now it's close to 12 and the chances of finding a non-Jew on the street are slim. DH offers to walk to a non-J neighbor who's very nice about helping w/ Shabbos emergencies, but I don't really think she's going to answer at this hour.

I am worried. This is dangerous.

My brother brilliantly takes some foil covers (for 9x13s) and insulates (?) the plastic counter covers, which looks close to melting. (Fire hazard? Toxin hazard?) He also shifts the blech a little so the heat from the large flame has a bit more room to escape.

No, this does not feel safe. There's foil on the stove (my CO2 detector had gone off the first 2 nites we cooked) and there are spills on the foil (we don't exactly clean it on Pesach) & s/t could catch fire.

DH decides we ought to remove the blech (and the counter covers). We transfer the cholent to the oven (putting a foil cover on cause the pot cover won't fit) and forget about the hot water. We remove the blech. We leave the windows open.

BUT - the smaller flames could blow out w/ no blech over them & window open (and closing window is not an option, due toCO2, heat, etc). So, I take a book & a cover & sit on the couch til 6 am, because I am too afraid. By then, I suppose, if the flames didn't blow out, we are fairly safe, & ppl will be getting up soon.

Also, DD & DS put the kitchen table in front of the stove so no little kids wake up in the morning & CHV touch the stove. DD moves the living rm armchair to block the kitchen door, and she sleeps there to be on guard for kids.

DH sleeps at the other end of the couch to provide moral support. At least that.
(A/o think I am OCD?)

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:15 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I cannot believe Shabbos just ended and I have to put on my chef hat again. I really don't usually mind cooking, but it's so much already. More importantly peeling all the potatoes, tomatoes, apples, pears, etc., etc. is just throwing me over the edge. Bleahhh!!!!!

Everybody has her customs and I respect them, but what is this big thing of peeling everything? Take off any icky spots, core the apples and pears, and that's that. It will just have a little more fiber.

Fiber is good for you.

Nobody will know the difference, and too bad if they do.

Maybe the slow cooker has some usefulness here.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:22 pm
Dolly, are you sure you're chabad? Wink

Me, I've had it with washing dishes. It's probably my most despised chore, and during the year my dishwasher cuts down on most of it. This chag the dishes have been endless. Plus my pesach pots are poor quality and require lots of elbow grease to really get clean.

One more reason to hope for next year in yerushalayim!

boysrus

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:23 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Everybody has her customs and I respect them, but what is this big thing of peeling everything? Take off any icky spots, core the apples and pears, and that's that. It will just have a little more fiber.

Fiber is good for you.

Nobody will know the difference, and too bad if they do.

Maybe the slow cooker has some usefulness here.

dolly , I am going to guess that miraclemama has the custom to only eat peeled fruit and veggies on Pesach, hence her being totally fed up of peeling...

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:26 pm
New amother here. Something that I am finding very hard about pesach, is the change in diet. I am pregnant, and craving my bagels Very Happy . Furthermore, the matza is constipating me and giving me stomach cramps. I need my wholewheat carbs! My branflakes, multigrain cheerios, granola bars and bagels!
And I am anon, because I am so embarrassed to be confessing this! I usually love Pesach and do not mind the change in diet. I feel guilty to be complaining and craving chometz, what a bad girl am I.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
New amother here. Something that I am finding very hard about pesach, is the change in diet. I am pregnant, and craving my bagels Very Happy . Furthermore, the matza is constipating me and giving me stomach cramps. I need my wholewheat carbs! My branflakes, multigrain cheerios, granola bars and bagels!
And I am anon, because I am so embarrassed to be confessing this! I usually love Pesach and do not mind the change in diet. I feel guilty to be complaining and craving chometz, what a bad girl am I.

From one pregnant mama to another, I get it! And I also hate you right now for renewing my bagel craving!

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:49 pm
Whole wheat or spelt matza could help your digestion. And drinking a lot.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:04 am
skip the matzah if it's giving you stomach trouble. I, and lots of people I know, only wash for the seder nights.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:22 am
amother wrote:
From one pregnant mama to another, I get it! And I also hate you right now for renewing my bagel craving!

sorrry!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:23 am
oliveoil wrote:
skip the matzah if it's giving you stomach trouble. I, and lots of people I know, only wash for the seder nights.

so what do you eat to fill up on?

oliveoil

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:43 am
amother wrote:
so what do you eat to fill up on?

lots of fruits and veggies.
soup
sliced baked sweet potatoes
scrambled eggs
and whatever food we're cooking and serving for the meals

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:18 am
I am very sad to think about people standing and killing themselves in the kitchen the whole chag. I don't believe it's what the Writer had in mind.

However, people: some of us DO insist on having hoards of people over for every meal, all week long. If you aren't a hotel, who do you THINK is going to be doing all the prep and cooking?

Those who say go simple: even cooking for a small family - if you want to cook well - takes time. The peeling, the chopping the slicing. And that's without extra chumras of not eating this or that, or peeling every single veggie. The work takes longer with the once/year knives and peelers and covered counters.

Anyway, I got a Pesach crock pot last year = major life saver. After 29 years of making Pesach (yes, we made Pesach a month after we got married too!) I got one and all I can say is ahhhhhh.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics