Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
ALARMING! Please Only Respond If You Support Vaccinations
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Scrabble123

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:18 am
I recently listened to a live conference that PEACH magazine had held.

I was astounded to hear many of their claims. I always thought that those who do not vaccinate do so because they feel that the risk of any reaction, even a slight fever outweighs the benefit in today's society. I felt that people relied heavily on herd immunity, but when forced with no other options and either saw outbreaks or travelled abroad, would vaccinate.

Listening to this hotline really shocked me.

Some of the claims made on the phone were (and this list is not comprehensive):

1. Polio is the same disease as meningitis. I'm not sure where they got this idea from. Meningitis means a an inflammation of the meninges. It can be caused by viruses, bacteria, fungus, etc.

2. Many of the handicapped children in the U.S. today really had polio, not other illness or physical limitations.

3. The Middle East has a Polio resurgence because the U.S. is vaccinating them with OPV, which causes Polio. Dr. Salk admitted that in court. Yes, it is true that there were a small amount of children who presented with paralysis after receiving OPV, but it is still the best defense against a Polio outbreak in a country where it is endemic. Obviously, since the U.S. has no polio, the government deemed the risk of OPV to be greater than the necessity for a live vaccine, and started to IPV in the 1990s.

4. That the CDC cannot possibly know who brought the disease into the country so just use the words unvaccinated to scare people. I'm sure that we all know that the CDC is fully capable of tracing an outbreak. They do a wonderful job at that and that is how they have stopped many outbreaks.

5. When asked if the DTaP vaccine contains live, attenuated viruses, the speaker responded that, "she did not know." This vaccine contains the dead virus/bacteria.

6. Someone on the line asked if there is a Typhoid vaccine. The speaker responded, "no." Another listener came forward and said that there is indeed a Typhoid vaccine given to travelers, but that it is not recommended in the U.S.A. because doctors do not make money by giving the vaccine. Someone then asked, "Well, what is Typhoid anyways?" No one on the line was able to answer that question. Typhoid fever is a life-threatening illness caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi. In the United States, it is estimated that approximately 5,700 cases occur annually. Most cases (up to 75%) are acquired while traveling internationally.

7. They ask people to distribute the magazine in their buildings and neighborhoods.

8. The magazine was available at Supreme Health in Williamsburg. This statement clearly shows that Supreme Health supports the magazine!

9. People spoke up during the conference stating that the magazine impacted their decision and has encouraged them to stop vaccinating [or at least to put it on hold for now].

10. The hotline also discussed how to fill out an exemption form. The speakers stated examples of what to write on an exemption form. I would just like to state that their exemption forms are false. It has nothing to do with religion, as we know Judaism allows vaccinations. Furthermore, the speaker gave them ideas of what to write from a Jewish perspective to "fool" the Health Dept. into accepting the form. She alone knew that the proofs she wrote to support her anti-vax attitude were not valid. That is unacceptable.

I am truly alarmed after having listened to this information. The conference was almost 2 hours. At first, I did not know if this information posed a threat because I honestly could not believe that educated people could believe such lies, but I see that people are not only believing them, but sucking the, up. I am petrified about the potential abuse of this organization.

I really feel like we must do something. I usually just sit back and never get involved, but I am just too alarmed to do that this time. The potential consequences here are just too severe to allow me to look away. Are you also alarmed?

*edited for grammar.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Fri, May 30 2014, 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

out-of-towner

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:29 am
WOW! I am speechless!

It's actually kind of funny in a way...these people are trying to prove something that they don't even understand themselves.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:33 am
Like I said, start from the beginning. You don't see how educated people can fall for such lies... Well, the place to start is by ensuring that people reach adulthood with an adequate education. Without that foundation, there is no hope for the future.

imokay

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:36 am
After reading the latest anti vaccine posts, I actually got really frightened as well. To me, it felt like the posts had crossed into dangerous territory.... letting unqualified people make ridiculous claims against vaccines.... I had a fear that some moms who might have been nervous about the vaccines wud now c"v listen to these fear inducing (but very misguided and false) posts.... I was also wondering if something cud b done....

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:45 am
there's also a really scary piece in the NYT right now--can get you link but running out the door for a shabbos weekend away--saying that children who vaccinations are delayed have a higher risk os seizure following the shot than if they'd done so on sched. food for thought, as I know many of you who are strong vaxxers do so on an longer schedule to keep your children safer. may not be the case.

anyway, leaving town. back sunday.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:50 am
imokay wrote:
I was also wondering if something cud b done....

Did you think of anything?

mille

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:51 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
there's also a really scary piece in the NYT right now--can get you link but running out the door for a shabbos weekend away--saying that children who vaccinations are delayed have a higher risk os seizure following the shot than if they'd done so on sched. food for thought, as I know many of you who are strong vaxxers do so on an longer schedule to keep your children safer. may not be the case.

anyway, leaving town. back sunday.

Here is the article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/.....risk/

Here's the actual study: http://pediatrics.aappublicati.....l.pdf

I have not really read either yet, erev Shabbat and all, but for those interested.

As for the entire topic at hand. It's absolutely terrifying. I have no idea how to solve the problem. I would think that it's clear that the current information available would show obviously that vaccines are amazing and the risk of harm is really really minimal, but apparently not everyone believes, well, science...

out-of-towner

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:04 pm
Okay, who is ready to start a school exclusively of kids who are vaccinated or have MEDICAL reasoning not to???

I never thought that this would have to be a criteria for my kids schooling...I thought that it was a given
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

wife2

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:07 pm
People are scared of side effects and horror stories from vaccinations. They need to have accurate, scientific, NEUTRAL information to know how to make vaccination decisions.

They need to hear how common and likely a disease is to happen, what the fatality rate or severity of the disease is, and if the disease is treatable or not. They need to look at statistics to see how many babies died or had complications from meningitis, whooping cough, etc. BEFORE they had these vaccinations and see how much the numbers went down because of vaccinations

They need to be informed the right way. If they know nothing, and the only information they are informed about is from PEACH then they will just believe it.

They need to see both sides in a neutral way.

But I can't imagine anyone taking the time to make a vaccine information magazine that is neutral - everyone wants to present only one side which makes it too opinionated and biased instead of pure facts.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:12 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Okay, who is ready to start a school exclusively of kids who are vaccinated or have MEDICAL reasoning not to???

I never thought that this would have to be a criteria for my kids schooling...I thought that it was a given
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Just wondering... If you don't want your kids to be in school with unvaxed kids, why are you allowing those with medical exemption? They're no less likely to transmit diseases.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:15 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Just wondering... If you don't want your kids to be in school with unvaxed kids, why are you allowing those with medical exemption? They're no less likely to transmit diseases.

Having a one or two kids in the class who aren't vaccinated isn't as much of a risk. Its having a class of 50/50 vaxed/unvaxed that concerns me. And the way things are going, that ratio is only going to get higher.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:17 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

those who have genuine medical need will likely be a much smaller number of kids, maybe 1% or so. Of course, there is also a small percentage of people who are vaccinated but are not immune. Add to that the children of people who decide not to vaccinate - you no longer have herd immunity.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:22 pm
What was so concerning to me was how PEACH is trying to get ahold of more followers. They want to place their magazines in places to shake up more people. They were discussing it on the conference. They were expressing how they chose a picture in order to spark interest and fear. It sounds like a cult to me, and they can do so much damage in the areas they are targeting. Imagine if they can ch'v convince even another 10% of mothers in these cities to no vaccinate?! Do you know what types of medical issues the frum community would be dealing with? I just don't see how we can allow this to play out...

Shira9

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:30 pm
I think all schools should take a stand and insist that all students be up to date with their vacs. I know that's what my school does and I commend them for it! On another note, I work in daycare and we had 2 mothers refusing to vaccinate citing "religious reasons". We let them know it won't fly w the DOH and all kids in daycare are required to be vaccinated. Schools should insist!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:33 pm
mille wrote:
Here is the article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/.....risk/

Here's the actual study: http://pediatrics.aappublicati.....l.pdf

I have not really read either yet, erev Shabbat and all, but for those interested.

As for the entire topic at hand. It's absolutely terrifying. I have no idea how to solve the problem. I would think that it's clear that the current information available would show obviously that vaccines are amazing and the risk of harm is really really minimal, but apparently not everyone believes, well, science...

OOC, what's the seizure rate of the MMR booster at 4 or 5 years of age? Is it similar to the rate of the ones who give it at 2 instead of 1?

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:41 pm
Shira9 wrote:
I think all schools should take a stand and insist that all students be up to date with their vacs. I know that's what my school does and I commend them for it! On another note, I work in daycare and we had 2 mothers refusing to vaccinate citing "religious reasons". We let them know it won't fly w the DOH and all kids in daycare are required to be vaccinated. Schools should insist!

Except there IS such a thing as a religious exemption which has absolutely nothing to do with being Jewish so people claiming exemption are not doing anything wrong or misrepresenting Judiasm.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:51 pm
I am alarmed beyond words and agitated like crazy because one of my sisters is totally hooked and brainwashed from these folks [she is listening to their rants on Akeres Habayis hotline] and I simply cannto talk sense into her head. My parents are disturbed about her position and cannot understand how she was influenced Rolling Eyes Mad embarrassed

Scrabble123

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
Except there IS such a thing as a religious exemption which has absolutely nothing to do with being Jewish so people claiming exemption are not doing anything wrong or misrepresenting Judiasm.

I cannot comment on anyone's personal exemption, but I listened to the conference and heard what Peach (pathetically endangering all children's health) Magazine is advocating.

The speaker advised that parents must first state that they are religious and then bring examples from their religion. She said to use pesukim. That is heresy! Last time I checked you are not allowed to manipulate the words in the Torah to create new meanings! It is unacceptable and assur! It is alarming!

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:04 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
OOC, what's the seizure rate of the MMR booster at 4 or 5 years of age? Is it similar to the rate of the ones who give it at 2 instead of 1?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/.....dren/

see last couple of paragraphs

Although febrile seizures are more likely with the combined shot at that younger age, the risk is still low, occurring in one of every 2,300 toddlers receiving it. In the latest study, the number of such reactions was even lower. In the 10 days after vaccination, only one of the 86,750 4- to 6-year-olds who were given the MMRV shot experienced a febrile seizure. Meanwhile, there were no seizures in the 67,000 who received the MMR and chickenpox vaccines separately but on the same day.

Dr. Klein said the pattern in which febrile seizures occur with age may have something to do with the higher risk among toddlers.

“Febrile seizures peak around the age of 18 months,” she said. “When you start looking at older children, over all they have a much lower risk. That’s just what happens.”

mirror

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:06 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Like I said, start from the beginning. You don't see how educated people can fall for such lies... Well, the place to start is by ensuring that people reach adulthood with an adequate education. Without that foundation, there is no hope for the future.

The Internet has changed how we get educated.

Nowadays, people read things and believe it's true.

Last edited by mirror on Fri, May 30 2014, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics