Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Potty mouthed Frum boy on Americas Got Talent.Chillul Hashem
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 9:51 pm
he wasn't funny.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 10:03 pm
I dot know if he was funny or not, I wanted to vomit after the first "joke"

Learning

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 10:37 pm
I had the same reaction as all of you at first. Than I realized that this poor boy who is not even bar mitzvah obviously is hugly misguided and I felt very bad for him. I'm starting to think that this whole thread might be Loshon Horoh. I'm going to report my post and ask yael if this is considers Loshon Horoh.

b from nj

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 11:29 pm
Thank you OP for bringing up this thread.

I was going to do the same but I don't know how to share links & to a certain extent I didn't even want ppl. to have to watch it since it was so disturbing to me & a major chillul Hashem.

To the poster above me who was wondering if this is loshon hora etc I truly do NOT believe it is. This is not some secret that is spreading like wild-fire. This is about a kid who chose to go on national TV & SHOCK the entire audience by appearing to be clean cut & innocent & then proceeding to go on with 6 minutes of utter filth while his family cheered him on & shepped so much nachas.

The whole situation is repugnant. I remember learning in seminary "shtika kehoda'ah" which means that silence is acquiescense & when someone does something that is wrong & we, the public say nothing to oppose it, we are effectively condoning it & I, for one, am NOT willing to do that.

I think that we as a frum community need to be vocal about our displeasure that this seemingly religious-looking kid went on stage with his kippah & everything that came out of his mouth afterwards was pure filth. I was watching the show with my DD15 & let me just share how embarrassed I was to be watching this with her & I was even more embarrassed that all of America was watching this young boy represent Orthodox Jewry. I am even more concerned about how he will choose to up the ante when he proceeds to round 2.

Quite frankly, keeping silent about it is wrong.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 11:41 pm
I don't even hear such jokes from my public school sixth graders...someone wrote those sophisticated lines for him. Not impressed.

b from nj

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 11:45 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I don't even hear such jokes from my public school sixth graders...someone wrote those sophisticated lines for him. Not impressed.

I'm guessing it was his dad who seems to want to live vicariously through his son.

debsey

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 11:53 pm
Barbara wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dad had a kippa on the whole time. It just sat far back and blended with his hair.

I first heard about this from a non-Jewish friend, who was disgusted by it. For the record, neither she nor anyone else commented on the fact that he was Jewish.

Sad that two Jewish judges (Howard Stern and Howie Mandel) liked him so much.

Really? I'm not doubting you, but I think the kippah was an essential part of the act.
I think that it was the kippah and his young age that made him funny. The judges kept saying things like "bar mitzvah" and "mazel tov" so I think it was "THIS is an Orthodox Jew? THIS is a 12 year old?" type of thing that kept the audience laughing.
Look, often a joke relies on "shock" to be funny - so the whole act was a "shock" act, but boy did he disgrace that Kippah. I'm NOT laughing.....
debs

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 1:15 am
I must be so naive but I didn't get any of the jokes! Only watched half the show but didn't get it so I stopped..

chani8

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 1:56 am
Represent MO? Not.

I don't think he represented anyone but himself, and maybe 12 year old boys, as the one judge said.

A chillul Hashem? Not.

Nasty humor, and disrespect toward his mother, for sure.

Something is wrong with that boy, if you ask me. He's been exposed to rotten stuff in his life and it's warped him already.

ElTam

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:00 am
I made it through the second "joke." Gross. His "parents" should be ashamed. But, as someone else said, people will do anything for fame.

sister

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:39 am
oy vey

and I don't say that too often lol

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 3:20 am
Had to see it. I'm not surprised that a kid that age tells jokes like that - BUT, those are jokes that you tell with your friends (don't always understand). Not the type of jokes that you share with your parents. And even if the parents chuckle about them at home a parent certainly won't let their 12 year old tell them to the parent's friends. and on public television!?!?

I can just imagine his poor principal getting up to squelch the fires when every kid in school and their family has watched it and that's all they're talking about. Explaining to all the students that this isn't proper. Maybe even a letter to all the parents assuring them that this isn't the style of the school.

I'm sure the parents (father for sure) have friends who are laughing about the nerve of the kid too. He moved up to the next level cause of the shock of the Jewish kid telling dirty jokes but someone should tell the father that there's no way his kid will win the million dollars (and he might not get accepted to a Yeshiva HS - would you want to be known as the Pervert Yeshiva?)

ETA - Other thought. His school probably already mailed out that week's Parshat HaShavua sheet to the parents.
Message from Rabbi x, principal of local Yeshiva:

Our Yeshiva is very proud of our student Josh Orlian who appeared on national television this week. We like to feel that our school contributes to the fine people our students are growing up to be... (schools love to take credit for everything - he should have waited till he saw it)

Last edited by Sanguine on Thu, Jun 19 2014, 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 4:32 am
A. The father was wearing a nearly invisible black kipa all the way through.
B. The kid wasn't a "potty mouth". It wasn't bad language and 4 letter words. It was just the most disgusting thing I've ever heard. Grown up comics don't even talk like that. Ewwwww.
C. Definitely a chillul Hashem.
D. I would be so embarassed if I were his parent. What a horrible reflection of them and his upbringing. Ugh. Just embarassing.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 8:47 am
I would love to hear how the school handled the situation.

And, these aren't jokes that a 12 year old tells (I was once 12). Even if he's a funny kid - The class clown. He's getting his material from a grown-up (his father)

Happy18

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 8:52 am
Sanguine wrote:
I would love to hear how the school handled the situation.

And, these aren't jokes that a 12 year old tells (I was once 12). Even if he's a funny kid - The class clown. He's getting his material from a grown-up (his father)

I was thinking its a very good thing this aired at the end of the school year. I agree that he is (hopefully) getting his material from a grownup. Sadly this type of jokes were all to common in my coed high school which is a large part of why I won't ever consider coed schooling for my children. I really hope this boys friends are as uncomfortable with the jokes as all of us are. I really feel for this kid, this is going to follow him around for the rest of his life

happybeingamom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 8:57 am
All I can say there is something very wrong with those parents, the harm they have done to their child.

Do you think this boy is going to respect women, his girl friends, the marital relationship.

Many of us have sons or have had sons that age and this is not normal. twelve year old boys are into sports, their video games boys, reading etc, not this.

Truth is my heart goes out to this boy because something is very wrong this is not normal. It is so amoral.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:14 am
happybeingamom wrote:
All I can say there is something very wrong with those parents, the harm they have done to their child.

Do you think this boy is going to respect women, his girl friends, the marital relationship.

Many of us have sons or have had sons that age and this is not normal. twelve year old boys are into sports, their video games boys, reading etc, not this.

Truth is my heart goes out to this boy because something is very wrong this is not normal. It is so amoral.

You're wrong - Kids tell dirty jokes, though I think these were a little advanced for 6th grade

But they tell these jokes in dark corners with their friends not on public television or even where their parents could hear. A kid who tells dirty jokes with friends will turn out normal with normal relationships with girls but there should be a little embarrassment if your parents over hear. That's what's so off about this

Happy18

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:18 am
Sanguine wrote:
You're wrong - Kids tell dirty jokes, though I think these were a little advanced for 6th grade

But they tell these jokes in dark corners with their friends not on public television or even where their parents could hear. A kid who tells dirty jokes with friends will turn out normal with normal relationships with girls but there should be a little embarrassment if your parents over hear. That's what's so off about this

This! He wants to tell jokes tell joke! While I don't like the content I accept that it is "normal" for teenage boys to tell dirty joke. Don't go on national TV and tell them! Like I said before I heard jokes along these lines pretty much daily in HS and those guys are now married, normal and functioning members of society.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:20 am
Happy18 wrote:
This! He wants to tell jokes tell joke! While I don't like the content I accept that it is "normal" for teenage boys to tell dirty joke. Don't go on national TV and tell them! Like I said before I heard jokes along these lines pretty much daily in HS and those guys are now married, normal and functioning members of society.

In that case, it is very cultural because those are not the kind of jokes that teenage boys in my husband's school used to snicker about.

Heyaaa

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:23 am
I recently graduated from having a potty mouth myself but I couldn't finish the video. Not from a 12 year old with a kippa.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics