Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Potty mouthed Frum boy on Americas Got Talent.Chillul Hashem
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Cookie Monster

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:25 am
Honestly, to me it looked totally scripted... The kid looked like he has no clue what he's saying! Doesn't make it any better... Just sayin'...

happybeingamom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:30 am
Sanguine wrote:
You're wrong - Kids tell dirty jokes, though I think these were a little advanced for 6th grade

But they tell these jokes in dark corners with their friends not on public television or even where their parents could hear. A kid who tells dirty jokes with friends will turn out normal with normal relationships with girls but there should be a little embarrassment if your parents over hear. That's what's so off about this

I guess I live in a different world my 12 year old wouldn't know this stuff at all and if he did I would be terrified as how he came to learn this.

I also have a lot of brothers who I grew up with and never saw or heard such things.

Dandelion1

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:33 am
I think the main issue is that it was so unbelievably exploitative. I'm not shocked that a 12 year old has a raunchy sense of humor. But as has been mentioned, his presentation was awful and the jokes were not particularly novel or funny. And to degrade his mother in such a nauseating way and refer to the size of his prepubescent anatomy made me cringe.

They were not televising this kid because he was unusually talented and charismatic. He was being mocked and exploited by the producers of this show, which was as ugly and despicable as it gets.

Happy18

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:33 am
happybeingamom wrote:
I guess I live in a different world my 12 year old wouldn't know this stuff at all and if he did I would be terrified as how he came to learn this.

I also have a lot of brothers who I grew up with and never saw or heard such things.

Even if your 12 year old knows this stuff, I would hope he wouldn't let you know that.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:46 am
This boy was obviously exploited by his parents. To set him on stage, with an act that is loaded with awful seksual innuendo is ludicrous. He is just a child!!!

This reminds me of these beauty shows for kids where they dress little girls in heavy makeup, seksy clothes and seksy moves. And it's supposed to be cute!!

Hashem Yerachaim !!

devo1982

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:48 am
If you're wondering where the material came from, the answer is dad:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GnG1DqI16lM

and for those who don't want to watch, http://www.jta.org/2014/06/19/.....n-son
(though warning, it does describe one of the "jokes").

I've also heard on Facebook that the producers egged him on to add more dirty material into his act, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. Now, his parents should have stood up for him and said "no way, no how," but they didn't.

happybeingamom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:53 am
Happy18 wrote:
Even if your 12 year old knows this stuff, I would hope he wouldn't let you know that.

Usually things get out.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:58 am
devo1982 wrote:

I've also heard on Facebook that the producers egged him on to add more dirty material into his act, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. Now, his parents should have stood up for him and said "no way, no how," but they didn't.

The father's act is funny. I liked it.

The son. He's 12 years old. A 12 yr old making such jokes in public is just not funny.

I'm sure the judges let him through one time because the jokes were cute, but as mentioned here his delivery definitely needs some improvement. I hope that he'll clean up the jokes for the next round because I'm sure they will be tougher on his performances and not just let him pass because of shock value.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:59 am
I thought this was an interesting response: http://finkorswim.com/2014/06/.....lent/

Pretty much a "well, at least Orthodox Jews come across as 'normal' now."

Quote:
Ultimately, Josh has a pretty awesome opportunity to show the world that Orthodox Judaism is not defined by its stereotypes and we have all kinds of Orthodox Jews. That’s also a good thing. It’s good for others to see and it’s good for us to see as well. I think we should be rooting for Josh to succeed and I hope he does well. - See more at: http://finkorswim.com/2014/06/......dpuf

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:11 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I thought this was an interesting response: http://finkorswim.com/2014/06/.....lent/

Quote:
Ultimately, Josh has a pretty awesome opportunity to show the world that Orthodox Judaism is not defined by its stereotypes and we have all kinds of Orthodox Jews. That’s also a good thing. It’s good for others to see and it’s good for us to see as well. I think we should be rooting for Josh to succeed and I hope he does well. - See more at: http://finkorswim.com/2014/06/......dpuf

You know, in a way Rabbi Fink is growing on me. But I really disagree with him. He talks about reacting with "vitriol and disgust." No vitriol, he doesn't deserve animus, but yes, disgust is appropriate.

And as far as earning approval by debasing ourselves to show that we're not "stodgy", etc.: I think the story is with Rav Yaakov Kamenetsky, zt"l. A mechanech asked if it would be appropriate to put his room's mezuzah on his student's level to facilitate their doing the mitzvah. Rav Yaakov said no. We do not lower the mitzvah. We raise the children. Or something like that.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:17 am
bigsis144 wrote:

Quote:

Um, no. If being "normal" means having a mind in the gutter, I'll pass, thank you very much. I don't think that is a standard to aspire to.

b from nj

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:22 am
devo1982 wrote:

I had NO doubt that the material came from dad as I wrote in one of my earlier posts in the thread that I was sure the 'jokes' were written by dad & that he was living vicariously through his son.

octopus

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:23 am
just sounds like Rabbi Fink is trying too hard to find something positive out of this whole thing. but it's just that- he's trying too hard.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:41 am
bigsis144 wrote:

Quote:

I am beyond speechless. I mean I know I've disagreed with him in the past, but his hashkafah in here seems utterly warped to me and it's mind boggling to me that he had the yeshiva education he did. There is NO value in the Torah that we try to be like the other nations and have them see us as normal and be like them. There are specific halachos we have to specifically prevent easily assimilating in terms of not eating together, etc. We want -- make that NEED -- to have a healthy, friendly distance to protect our generations from leaving Judaism all together.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:45 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I am beyond speechless. I mean I know I've disagreed with him in the past, but his hashkafah in here seems utterly warped to me and it's mind boggling to me that he had the yeshiva education he did. There is NO value in the Torah that we try to be like the other nations and have them see us as normal and be like them. There are specific halachos we have to specifically prevent easily assimilating in terms of not eating together, etc. We want -- make that NEED -- to have a healthy, friendly distance to protect our generations from leaving Judaism all together.

I second this. There is no goal in Judaism to be like everyone else. Lehefech.

debsey

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:47 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

THIS! I agree. Aren't we supposed to be a LIGHT unto the nations? We all have similar urges - we all need to eat, sleep, procreate. The POINT of Judaism is to turn those mundane acts into holiness. We make a bracha, we daven, we have taharas Hamishpacha, all to elevate these acts. To me, the fact that he is now percieved as "normal" is what is so very un-Jewish about his whole act. Take off the yarmulke. Oh, except then - there's no ACT!
debs

b from nj

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:50 am
I actually don't know the family at all & have never met them or heard of them b/f Josh's appearance on AGT but I am disgusted by their son's & their appearance on national TV. I felt it made a mockery of Orthodoxy b/c when ppl. see a kippah it alerts them that this person is Jewish & makes us all look bad.

My family & I were eagerly awaiting the performance of the kid with the kippah the other night & we were simply disgusted by what came out of this 12 year old Orthodox-looking kid's mouth & it embarrassed us to no end. My DD15 was watching with us & didn't get the jokes & wanted me to explain them to her (which I was not going to do).

I feel that they made a huge chillul Hashem & that was my main gripe against them.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:54 am
b from nj wrote:
I actually don't know the family at all & have never met them or heard of them b/f Josh's appearance on AGT but I am disgusted by their son's & their appearance on national TV. I felt it made a mockery of Orthodoxy b/c when ppl. see a kippah it alerts them that this person is Jewish & makes us all look bad.

My family & I were eagerly awaiting the performance of the kid with the kippah the other night & we were simply disgusted by what came out of this 12 year old Orthodox-looking kid's mouth & it embarrassed us to no end. My DD15 was watching with us & didn't get the jokes & wanted me to explain them to her (which I was not going to do).

I feel that they made a huge chillul Hashem & that was my main gripe against them.

Well now, I agree with you there.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:55 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I disagree with R' Fink (though I agree with him on many of his general hashkafic points).

However, I do want to address your point about being a "light unto the nations" - as a religion, we have been doing a TERRIBLE job in the US. Sure there are a lot of great Orthodox Jews. There are also a lot of liars, thieves, molesters etc. Judaism does need PR! I don't think this is the way to go about it, but we have a lot of terrible press. That doesn't mean assimilation - but showing others that we are regular, good people too is important.

b from nj

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:59 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I disagree with R' Fink (though I agree with him on many of his general hashkafic points).

However, I do want to address your point about being a "light unto the nations" - as a religion, we have been doing a TERRIBLE job in the US. Sure there are a lot of great Orthodox Jews. There are also a lot of liars, thieves, molesters etc. Judaism does need PR! I don't think this is the way to go about it, but we have a lot of terrible press. That doesn't mean assimilation - but showing others that we are regular, good people too is important.

But Saw, having our kids go on AGT to tell dirty jokes is not the way to show others that we are regular, good ppl even though according to R. Fink it shows the world that we are 'normal'. Then again, if this is what normal is I'd rather not be normal!!!
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics