Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can I give 9 week old water? Nervous he's thirsty..
Previous  1  2

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 6:54 pm
Sucking all night for a night or two will probably make you feel emptier the next morning, but if it becomes a pattern that's when it signals your body to start producing more at night.

It sounds like maybe he would be happier cosleeping for tonight, given how hectic the last couple of days have been. Babies feel it...

allrgymama

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 7:06 pm
Are you eating and drinking enough? I totally feel a difference in how full my breasts feel in days when I don't and it also impacts the quality of your milk

Last I checked, a nursing mother was supposed to be aiming for 13 cups of water/fluid a day

Miri1

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 4:13 am
amother wrote:
in bassinet on his side (w/ support pi;;ows) or last nite in my bed sucking on me. for some reason when sucks on me at night, the next day I feel like I have no milk. I'd think opposite cuz sucking so builds up demand. But I feel like maybe not latched on rite so clogs it? is that possible?

(I already spent so much money on LC, can't call her back. Depends on day. One day he gained 100 grams and then one day 20. SO can be today low on milk and didn't get enough per feeding...but I'm being so stubborn about giving formula bec. with all my other kids that ended my nursing. After talking to friends who are more "natural" and EBF-they told me e/o has humps don't just give up. SO this is why I'm so nervous..I think like I'm diff from e/o and don't have enough milk. )

Thanks everyone! You're all so amazing to take time to answer.

I hope the above is short hand for "without pillows" and not "with pillows"!

I'm with everyone else - no water, make sure he's emptying the breast, and then some (sounds like he needs the fattier stuff at the end) and do your best to burp him at the end of a feed. Also, if he sucks on one breast for a long time, the other will be fuller for the next feed. In any case, I don't think lack of fullness indicates less production, it's the let down that he needs.

Hatzlacha, it will pass, iy"H it will all settle down...

mfb

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 9:03 am
Instead of giving baby water drink some more water yourself and snack on almonds throughout the day. Ifound that almonds helped my milk supply within a day (I always eat almonds before a fast day)
Good luck! You can do it!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 12:18 pm
I think YOU are thristy! As long as the baby is eating well is should not be thirsty.

BTW - nursing makes you exceptionally thirsty but you, not the baby.

nyc123

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 12:23 pm
You mentioned that your baby sleeps on his side with support pillows... The baby should not have any pillows in the bassinet or crib. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, babies should be put to sleep on their backs, with no pillows or loose blankets (baby can be swaddled with a blanket instead), in order to prevent SIDS.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 1:31 pm
I don't know if you should give your baby water or not esp if you live somewhere really hot.
But I can tell you that my ped. just told me last week to give my 12 weeks (bottle fed) old baby some water here and there because it's so hot where we live.

acccdac

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 3:26 pm
I was told/read that if you stick your finger on the roof of your baby's mouth and its completely dry that is a sign of dehydration.

(I could be wrong)

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 4:57 pm
nyc123 wrote:
You mentioned that your baby sleeps on his side with support pillows... The baby should not have any pillows in the bassinet or crib. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, babies should be put to sleep on their backs, with no pillows or loose blankets (baby can be swaddled with a blanket instead), in order to prevent SIDS.

He sleeps with these foam siders-not sure what called, but meant to use to put baby to sleep on side. My baby never lets me burp him. He holds himself so strong. Nervous about choking on spit up at nite so I put him on side.

THanks for all your responses. I live in Israel was pretty hot last few days. I drink about 6 liters of water a day. Today I took the day to just relax and he was much calmer. I stayed home instead of doing the errands I had to do and he seems much happier.

In terms of sleeping in my bed. A poster mentioned about the suckling for a night or two-is that a good idea? meaning even if he is not getting anything and uses me as his pacifier, that will help me produce more milk?

Thanks for all your help and encouragement. I can use it! (never realized how insecure I was Wink)

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
I think YOU are thristy! As long as the baby is eating well is should not be thirsty.

BTW - nursing makes you exceptionally thirsty but you, not the baby.

Thanks. I drink tons!
I wrote thirsty because I do not think he is dehydrated, just low on fluids maybe. I know I also thought it looked funny I wrote baby thirsty. But I see e/o figured out what I meant!

Willow43

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
in bassinet on his side (w/ support pi;;ows) or last nite in my bed sucking on me. for some reason when sucks on me at night, the next day I feel like I have no milk. I'd think opposite cuz sucking so builds up demand. But I feel like maybe not latched on rite so clogs it? is that possible?

(I already spent so much money on LC, can't call her back. Depends on day. One day he gained 100 grams and then one day 20. SO can be today low on milk and didn't get enough per feeding...but I'm being so stubborn about giving formula bec. with all my other kids that ended my nursing. After talking to friends who are more "natural" and EBF-they told me e/o has humps don't just give up. SO this is why I'm so nervous..I think like I'm diff from e/o and don't have enough milk. )

Thanks everyone! You're all so amazing to take time to answer.

Im sure everything is fine, and this comment is not directed specifically to you, but stubbornness not to bottle feed should never come at the expense of a baby.
If I felt my baby was lacking fluids or was dehydrated I wouldnt "be stubborn about giving formula" - I would make sure I did everything I could to make sure my baby wasnt hungry... im not saying you- but ive seen and read about moms who were so obsessed with nursing that they lost the reality that their babies werent getting enough-

I had the opposite problem- too MUCH milk (also a problem)- but anyways hatzlacha and trust your gut! Hope it works out

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 6:03 pm
Willow43 wrote:
Im sure everything is fine, and this comment is not directed specifically to you, but stubbornness not to bottle feed should never come at the expense of a baby.
If I felt my baby was lacking fluids or was dehydrated I wouldnt "be stubborn about giving formula" - I would make sure I did everything I could to make sure my baby wasnt hungry... im not saying you- but ive seen and read about moms who were so obsessed with nursing that they lost the reality that their babies werent getting enough-

I had the opposite problem- too MUCH milk (also a problem)- but anyways hatzlacha and trust your gut! Hope it works out

Thanks. He did gain nicely by his monthly check ups.
I only nurse for baby, I find bottles easier in a way and they sleep better at night, but because of allergies in family etc. I know breast milk best for him so I am really trying to make it work and of course be relaxed at same time Wink lol! (E/o says relax and will have milk).

Thnx.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 6:21 pm
Willow43 wrote:

This is true- however it's very common for breastfeeding moms to think they don't have enough milk when they actually do.

achot613

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 1:08 am
Keep in mind that your body creates milk to cater to your baby. If its hot out, it creates more of tge formillk which is thirst quenching. May be why baby has more green stools. Calm down you didnt just lose all your milk out of the blue. Trust in Hashem and in your body, stressing makes less milk production too.
Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 1:19 pm
Thnk you! E/o has such useful info!
Is that why he is wanting to nurse here and there just 5 min. besides usual 45 min feeds (bec. thirsty & just needs formilk)?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 1:23 pm
Probably. Babies need to sip to quench thirst in the heat, besides nursing for hunger.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 1:29 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Sucking all night for a night or two will probably make you feel emptier the next morning, but if it becomes a pattern that's when it signals your body to start producing more at night.

It sounds like maybe he would be happier cosleeping for tonight, given how hectic the last couple of days have been. Babies feel it...

So it's a good idea to have him suck 2-3 nights even though emptier in morning?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
So it's a good idea to have him suck 2-3 nights even though emptier in morning?

Babies are different from adults in that their calorie intake is measured over a 24 hr period, whereas healthy adults get in their calories only during the daytime. A baby who nurses more than usual at night wont need to nurse as much the next day. So long as you remain hydrated your body should produce accordingly.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics