Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please tell me all about Teaneck
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:52 pm
OP

I really, really appreciate all the input! It's extremely helpful. I must sound crazy to you all but I appreciate the patience and kindness. Smile
I've lived in the same area all my life. Currently we're paying $850 for a large 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment.
Looking at Craigslist ads I see that there is no way we'll find that price in nj! Wink

Dh's work is in a good field with lots of potential for increases in salary. Out of all the Jewish communities in the US the NJ area and LA are the best places for us to move, job wise. We don't want to go to LA for various reasons so that leaves the NJ area. We're not dirt poor at all, just trying to be smart. Smile And where we live currently, wages are low; in most other states people with dh's job make twice as much as dh does here. He does not have a job lined up yet, but is working on it.

One reason we'd like to move is to be able to put the kids in school (I homeschool currently) so we need to be careful with money. Neither of us have ever been to the east coast, save stopping @ JFK on the way to Israel so we don't know much save what we can find out online.
We had thought of possibly just getting a cheaper, smaller apartment to rent for a couple months at first while we figure out where we really want to be. But maybe that's just not going to work, and that's ok.

Please keep the info on NJ communities coming! Thanks so much!

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:59 pm
Highland Park/Edison might be your best bet. Warm community, but it still isn't cheap!

Also what type of schools are you looking to send to? The MO schools in the NY/NJ areas tend to be outrageously expensive. The more Frum schools are cheaper, but these tend to be very homogeneous, a far cry from small town community day schools.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:01 pm
Also is Philly an option for you? It is a long commute to NY, but people do it, and it's not too far from certain communities in NJ. I imagine that housing is a fair amount cheaper there.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:35 pm
Where in NJ are you looking to be near? Staten Island is close to NYC and northern NJ, but cheaper and less materialistic than some of the other options being mentioned. Also, I don't know so much about it, but look into Elizabeth as well. You also haven't told us anything about your religious affiliation, which could make a big difference here. Specifying only financial concerns has gotten you suggestions from Fairlawn to Lakewood, which usually don't go together in the same sentence. Smile

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 2:49 pm
doctorima wrote:
You also haven't told us anything about your religious affiliation, which could make a big difference here. Specifying only financial concerns has gotten you suggestions from Fairlawn to Lakewood, which usually don't go together in the same sentence. Smile

OP here.

Good point! LOL

We're frum. I dress tzinus, no pants, don't do tights, do wear tichels or a sheitel. Not Yeshevish, not mo.
I guess I should add that we are Gerim.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:14 pm
hi Op

didn't read all the responses. From what you said I don't think Teaneck would be a good fit. Very expensive both the living and the tuition. You're looking at like 15000 per kid or more.As a single parent who once considered it, I ran for the hillls. Kind of materialistic.

If you are in NJ anywhere you will need one car per family if your DH commutes, if not you will need 2 cars. I found the buses to be a nuisance and not all that frequent, like every hr, or every half hr if you're lucky during rush hour.

So I moved to BKLYN, and I love it. Im not really the typical Bklyn type but in my area there is such a mix actually. And here you will find ppl that have 4 or more kids in one bedroom Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:26 pm
Rancho Mirage is a small Jewish Community with a vibrant Chabad and you can get a large rental for minimal money. Unfortunately the Jewish Day School closed a year ago.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:33 pm
Deleted.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jan 25 2016, 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:54 pm
BrachaBatya wrote:
I want to recommend that you look into Rockland County, NY. It borders New Jersey and is not far from Teaneck, Fair Lawn and the like, but is less money. Monsey, Spring Valley, Wesley Hills, Airmont.....these are parts of Rockland County that have large (and fast growing) orthodox communities of ALL "flavors." I think it is less $$ than Teaneck. Good luck.

I am going to echo you and add that the schools are cheaper than Fairlawn and Teaneck. Also you they have buses and large families in 3 bedrooms.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:37 pm
Op

Wow, you all have given me so much info! It's so hard to make any kind of decision from over here on the other side of the country!

What is the Jewish community like in Lakewood? In Monsey?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

Good point! LOL

We're frum. I dress tzinus, no pants, don't do tights, do wear tichels or a sheitel. Not Yeshevish, not mo.
I guess I should add that we are Gerim.

I would think Passaic could be a good option, as it has a high % of baalei teshuva and is very open and accepting. Edison/Highland Park or Staten Island could also be options, as they are more out-of-townish.

abby1776

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:04 pm
I am going to add Baltimore to your list of options - excellent schools - lots of affordable housing - rentals and to buy, and its relatively affordable to the east coast - people commute to DC - depending on your DH's job that might be an option. It has a home schooling community - and lots of Gerim and BTs and people are very accepting and friendly, which unfortunately you may not find in the NY area.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:32 pm
abby1776 wrote:
I am going to add Baltimore to your list of options - excellent schools - lots of affordable housing - rentals and to buy, and its relatively affordable to the east coast - people commute to DC - depending on your DH's job that might be an option. It has a home schooling community - and lots of Gerim and BTs and people are very accepting and friendly, which unfortunately you may not find in the NY area.

Agreed that Baltimore could be great for OP, but not if her DH needs to commute to NJ. Any wiggle room on that OP?

UQT

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:38 pm
Just a tip - OP, once you decide on a community Craigslist is not the place to find an apartment. Ask around here and someone can send you the list of apartments that are posted in that community's Jewish weekly. Those magazines will have all the Jewish classifieds you are looking for including the apartments available in the Jewish neighborhoods.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
Op

Wow, you all have given me so much info! It's so hard to make any kind of decision from over here on the other side of the country!

What is the Jewish community like in Lakewood? In Monsey?

If you care about the quality of education your kids get, Monsey is not the place to be.

If you care about an emotionally healthy community, Monsey is not the place to be.

I do not recommend Monsey at all.

Queens has a nice community that may be a good fit, but I don't know about prices at all.

Baltimore sounds like the perfect community for you if your husband can work down there. Its a really great, warm community and very accepting.

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:23 am
saw50st8 wrote:
If you care about the quality of education your kids get, Monsey is not the place to be.

If you care about an emotionally healthy community, Monsey is not the place to be.

I do not recommend Monsey at all.

Queens has a nice community that may be a good fit, but I don't know about prices at all.

Baltimore sounds like the perfect community for you if your husband can work down there. Its a really great, warm community and very accepting.

I don't think it is fair to characterize Monsey as emotionally unhealthy. While there are certain problems, there are strong benefits. There are parts of Monsey that are more chilled than other parts. It really depends on your circles. Central Monsey isn't the same as other places in Rockland County. Monsey has relatively affordable tuition compared to Jersey. Jersey tuitions are about 2.5 times what Monsey tuition at least for my kids. Since OP home schools, she could supplement secular studies like many do. I think the schools in Monsey might compare favorably to Jersey schools in the learning.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 2:09 am
You can find a 3 bedroom apartment in Linden for about $1200 or a house for about $1600, it's a growing community with new families moving in all the time, it's also about 35-40 minute commute to Manhattan by train or bus. We really love it here, there are tons of kids and everyone is really genuinely there for one another. There are options for schools, shopping, and you can even make do without two cars if need be.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 2:59 am
doctorima wrote:
Agreed that Baltimore could be great for OP, but not if her DH needs to commute to NJ. Any wiggle room on that OP?

Another vote for Baltimore based on the information you provided. There's a strong homeschooling network there too so you could do that till you're prepared to pay tuition.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:55 am
Squishy wrote:
I don't think it is fair to characterize Monsey as emotionally unhealthy. While there are certain problems, there are strong benefits. There are parts of Monsey that are more chilled than other parts. It really depends on your circles. Central Monsey isn't the same as other places in Rockland County. Monsey has relatively affordable tuition compared to Jersey. Jersey tuitions are about 2.5 times what Monsey tuition at least for my kids. Since OP home schools, she could supplement secular studies like many do. I think the schools in Monsey might compare favorably to Jersey schools in the learning.

I am very familiar with Monsey and the entire Rockland County area. I stand by my statement.

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:02 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I am very familiar with Monsey and the entire Rockland County area. I stand by my statement.

The benefit to living in an area near Monsey is that OP would be close enough to get the benefit of the lower tuitions. I wouldn't recommend Monsey itself but a surrounding area. Depending on how close she must live to her husband's job in Jersey, South Chestnut Ridge might be a good fit.

The very large majority get scholarships. How can OP suddenly start paying for 6 tuitions when she is concerned about renting a 2 bedroom apartment for 8 people? From what I do know about the North Jersey communities, they are more affluent than Monsey. Her children would likely perceive themselves as different due to finances. I also don't know if scholarships are as readily and as generously given. 6 full tuitions at Northern Jersey prices might not be doable.

I have friends and relatives in these communities and we have discussed the support for those in need. Monsey has stronger resources. I am not saying OP is in need of them. I am saying that there are quite a few others who have large families crammed into small spaces. Their children might be dressed in a similar manner to OP's children and have a similar amount of things.

I was surprised by the bare bone rooms the kids occupy and the sparse amount of clothes most kids have when I moved here.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating