Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What kind of phone do you have-smartphone or "old fashioned"
Previous  1  2

what kind of phone do you have?
iphone / smartphone  
 56%  [ 111 ]
"old fashioned"  
 43%  [ 86 ]
Total Votes : 197

Redbird

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:34 am
little neshamala, if you are looking for affordable smarphones, this is my advice:

I got smartphones a few months ago so I did a ton of research to find a good plan.

I got h20 wireless. I pay $36 a month for unlimited talk, text and 1GB of 4G web on at&t network. My DH has 500 mb data for only $27. (you have to sign up for autopay to get these prices) make sure to get the sim card from amazon - they have it for a penny. If you are looking for a provider better than sprint and t-mobile, this is the best price out there.

Ebay is the best way to save on the actual phone.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:38 am
I have an old flip phone that works for me. I'm not a cellphone person - I don't like being tied down - and I hardly use it. So I have no interest in upgrading.

My teen DD's disagree....they are embarrassed to be seen in its presence and pray for its demise. I actually lost it this past winter, and it turned up on my driveway, buried under the ice. Alas, a day in a bag of rice revived it.

librarygirl

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:22 am
Freedom pop.com is very cheap and I think runs on sprint. I'm considering switching. Don't know if they have ads.

Pita

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
Because it has become difficult to get a decent dumb phone. When was the last time you tried acquiring one?

I bought mine at the AT&T store for $15. I refuse to fall for the "free" phone if you sign a 2-year contract. Those cancellation fees are brutal!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:50 pm
Get ready for the unusual::

DH has a dumbphone which he inherited from his wifey 10 years ago!!
His wifey has a smart phone!!

Lately we upgraded our phones; DH got a new dumbfone - A bit larger than his previous one.
He isn't happy with it because it doesn't fit as invisibly into his tiny shirt pocket as his old phone did.

Within the years I gradually upgraded my phones.
My first phone was DH's old dumbphone.
Second phone was a Palm Pilot.
Third one was an android.
Presently; Apple 5S. It's $35.00 a month - 2 year contract.

Anon for obvious reasons.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:05 pm
I have a basic smartphone, not iphone, with calls, email, Google calendar and reminder list. Also basic internet, games and music player which I never use. I do use the camera occasionally, but not for proper photography, I have a good camera for that.

It saves me carrying a luach, siddur, tehillim, notepad and allows me to share calendar and chore lists with dh, so saves a lot of room in my handbag. As it isn't fancy or particularly valuable, I get a phone package I like, mine is equivalent to 15 dollars a months with unlimited calls and data, and chose whichever free phone comes with.

I am not into angry birds or other games, listening to music or watching videos, nor do I have twitter, WhatsApp or Facebook or any social networking apps as I don't ever use them.

I do find it convenient, and miss it when I am overseas.

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Because it has become difficult to get a decent dumb phone. When was the last time you tried acquiring one?

The beginning of the summer. The phone is fine. It does what it is supposed to do. It can be used to text and call. My kids found out it has email which I didn't want. I have texted on it so I could show the kids how. It is simple.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
Anon for obvious reasons.

Now I feel dumb. Not so obvious to me...

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:55 pm
Squishy wrote:
The beginning of the summer. The phone is fine. It does what it is supposed to do. It can be used to text and call. My kids found out it has email which I didn't want. I have texted on it so I could show the kids how. It is simple.

I would love to get a non smart phone with a querty keyboard for my kids. But its either smartphones or old fashioned nokia style...

What phone did you buy?

miracleshappen

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:52 am
Dh and I are proudly clingling to our "dumbphones".
I don't want to be like many of my friends who I can't stand to be around because they have their heads in their phones. I don't want dh to be on call for work issues 24-7. His coworkers know he doesn't have a smartphone so he can't answer their emails all the time (none of which are pressing or urgent).
Sure it would be nice to google directions, know where the nearest closest restaurant is, etc. but we are more than managing :-)

little neshamala

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 5:06 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Ringplus has very cheap plans, including free (very limited) plans which are available once a month. Check out their website. Ringplus.net. The only catch is when calling someone, instead of the phone ringing, ads/ Ringplus radio plays. The plans include limited data, but even if you go over, rates are extremely cheap. You bring your own Sprint device, smart or dumb.
Another great option is Republic Wireless. Although the phones are pricey, the Moto X or Moto G, and must be purchased through them, plans start as low as $10 a month (actually, $5, but I think it's worthless- will only work if there's a WiFi connection). $10 a month gives you unlimited calls and text, on the Sprint network. $25 gives us unlimited talk, text, and 3G data. You can check out the website. PM me for more info. BTW, if you decide to sign up, pm me and I'll send you a referral link so that we both get a one time discount.

that sounds very interesting, thank you!

balibusta

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:07 pm
any deals for an AT&T phone iphone?(don't think at&t has sim card)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:18 pm
Phone or plan? Costco has 5s iPhones on sale.

balibusta

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:36 pm
sorry for not being clear and mixing up plans!! The phone I have is an iphone 4 I bought on-line and going directly thru VERIZON (not at&t like I wrote before!!) and paying a lot monthly..any cheaper way w Verizon??? the phone I have w Verizon don't think has sym card..

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:04 pm
Page Plus has very well priced prepaid plans on the Verizon network. I think they may officially not allow iPhones on the plan, but I know several people who are on it with no issues.

morahaviva

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 12:12 am
I have a dumbphone, but everyone else in my family has newer phones, so they have smartphones. It is a problem for me this summer as I work in a sleepaway camp and all staff notifications go out in group messages, which, in a dumbphone, come in blank. So I am constantly afraid that I am going to miss something like a bear, or tornado, etc since I am out of touch!

supermama2

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 11:12 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
I wonder how this would vary by country.
Or by community.
Here in Israel, I rarely see non-smartphones anymore.

This depends on where you live, as you said. Most people where I am use regular cell phones. If I were still in the States I might have a smart phone.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics