Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
BDE Robin Williams
1  2  Next

morah

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:55 am
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014.....rrer=

So sad that the man who made so many of us laugh did not have as much laughter in his personal life.

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 6:06 am
Depression is a terrible thing. And it can be unrelated to personal circumstances. I know someone who (outwardly) has it all - loving husband, children, money, siblings, looks, but has been battling on and off with depression for years.

CatLady

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 6:53 am
Such a loss, to his family, friends and the world at large.

grace413

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 6:56 am
Depression kills. Clinical depression has no relation to the external factors of a person's life.

So sad.

morah

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 7:12 am
I'm well aware depression is a disease. In addition to being sad about the loss of one of my favorite actors, I am reflecting on the tragic irony that he was taken by this particular disease, given how much laughter and joy he brought to this world.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 7:18 am
Does it not seem that a disproportionate number of celebrities and entertainers suffer from extreme depression, substance abuse, suicide? There are depressive tendencies and depressive triggers. There's something about that lifestyle...

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 7:28 am
Its so sad. Robin was my favorite comedian. It just proves to show once again that not always those who smile and bring joy to others are happy inside nevetheless, they still bring joy to people despite of their challenges. We will miss you Robin! You and Mrs. doubtfire have made this world a happier and funnier place.

morah

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 7:47 am
5*Mom wrote:
Does it not seem that a disproportionate number of celebrities and entertainers suffer from extreme depression, substance abuse, suicide? There are depressive tendencies and depressive triggers. There's soIething about that lifestyle...

I don't know if the lifestyle causes it so much as it maybe attracts people prone to addiction and depression. I read somewhere once that comedians often suffer from depression, the comedy is just a facade to hide their insecurity and self-loathing. Seems to have been the case here :-(

Zehava

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 7:47 am
5*Mom wrote:
Does it not seem that a disproportionate number of celebrities and entertainers suffer from extreme depression, substance abuse, suicide? There are depressive tendencies and depressive triggers. There's something about that lifestyle...

It's having nothing and everything at the same time. It's a rat race out there. And
It's always being in the limelight. Not a great life at all.

Barbara

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 9:55 am
Depression is an illness. Robin Williams died of that illness. No different from Tommy Ramone dying of cancer.

Depression sucks the hope out of you. It takes away your ability to function. It makes every day hurt, no matter how bright it might look to others. Its not sadness or being upset.

He battled his disease, but he lost.

I am so saddened by his death. Apart from having made so many of us laugh, it seems that he was a genuinely good person. He will be missed.

itssimplyme

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 10:43 am
yeah, it does seem like he was a really genuine, kind, sensitive person. Sad Sad
This world needs more people like him - and could do with more of the gentle, sensitive types than the aggressive, rude and insensitive types.
He was really extremely talented too. But most of all he had a softness, gentleness and kindness about him, and was a nice person. Unlike all those people who have "important" jobs, and behave in such awful ways, he did nothing but bring joy and happiness to people. And even, as others said, despite his own personal suffering. He put a smile on his face for the sake of others and to make others happy, even when he was down.
Very inspiring!

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 11:12 am
Barbara wrote:
Depression is an illness. Robin Williams died of that illness. No different from Tommy Ramone dying of cancer.

Depression sucks the hope out of you. It takes away your ability to function. It makes every day hurt, no matter how bright it might look to others. Its not sadness or being upset.

He battled his disease, but he lost.

I am so saddened by his death. Apart from having made so many of us laugh, it seems that he was a genuinely good person. He will be missed.

You wrote this so nicely.

I was so sad to hear the news I have great memories of his movies and started watching some of his stand up comedy last night again.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 3:07 pm
He was such a great guy, great personality and awesome sense of humor.

So sad Sad

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:30 pm
Depression is an illness, a real disease. It can be treated. This is why posts on imamother bashing therapy and therapists angers me so much. Robin Williams died of a treatable condition, which he obviously had to battle for much of his life. Do we want our children following the same path? Get help early and get them better! That's my motto. This is a warning to all parents out there. Get the illness treated early. Think about it - Robin Williams had it all - adoring fans, great career, talent, etc. he still died of the illness. Nothing replaces TREATMENT.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:32 pm
Very sad that he had to die like that. He will be missed by many!!!!!!!!!!

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:35 pm
I have spent the past 7 hours trying to explain to ignorant people on a certain FB group that depression is an illness, not an aveira or a weakness of character. But they won't believe it.

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:38 pm
sequoia wrote:
I have spent the past 7 hours trying to explain to ignorant people on a certain FB group that depression is an illness, not an aveira or a weakness of character. But they won't believe it.

This is what I do for a living. IMHO, hardest part is explaining to parents "No, your kid is not lazy, not selfish. No, spending time playing chess wth him is NOT gonna fix it. etc."

simchatomid

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:47 pm
sequoia wrote:

Sequoia, sometimes certain things just aren't worth our time... I assume these are the same 'ignorant people' that believe it when they say xxxx 'fell off' of a bridge/balcony or had a 'heart attack' (aka overdose). Hashem yerachem that these people should never have to sympathize for loved ones truly suffering physical anguish for the sickness of depression - pain so sharp that death is the only way out.

Robin Williams touched so many lives... it's so sad to think about how his enormous impact on the world couldn't even mute his pain.

We must take this lesson for our own lives and dealing with our own friends and family suffering with depression, a very very real illness...

morah

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:50 pm
debsey wrote:
Depression is an illness, a real disease. It can be treated. This is why posts on imamother bashing therapy and therapists angers me so much. Robin Williams died of a treatable condition, which he obviously had to battle for much of his life. Do we want our children following the same path? Get help early and get them better! That's my motto. This is a warning to all parents out there. Get the illness treated early. Think about it - Robin Williams had it all - adoring fans, great career, talent, etc. he still died of the illness. Nothing replaces TREATMENT.

I read that he was getting treatment. The disease won anyway. Treatment doesn't always work. Or it can work for awhile and then stop.

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:53 pm
morah wrote:
I read that he was getting treatment. The disease won anyway. Treatment doesn't always work. Or it can work for awhile and then stop.

The younger you start treatment and the more consistent you are, the better the outcomes. So says the research. I read that he self-medicated for a long time with alcohol. When kids are brought in before they start self-medicating or other destructive behaviors, the outcomes are much better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics