Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What can I do to help my Yeshiva son choose a college degree
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 3:39 pm
My dad's a civil engineer. You have to be excellent at using math and physics in the real world. It's a scary huge responsibility - for example if your calculations are wrong about how much weight a bridge can handle, people could ch"v die. Just as an example. You're calculating how to build huge buildings, dams, subway stations, tunnels, hydroelectric plants, bridges, airports, etc., and overseeing the actual construction, because if you're not on top of everything, some of the guys working for you might try to cut a few corners, so you have to be watching out. A big part of the job is also figuring out how to get the structure built for as cheap as possible but with good quality, because there are a lot of companies bidding on jobs, so you've got to be creative and smart.

A down side to being a civil engineer is that you typically move every few years, whenever a project finishes, because you have to go where your company sends you, which will be wherever they just won a bid. The exception is if you live in a place like California where there's lots of building going on.

sky

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 4:24 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
just to clarify, sky, touro is an actual college. it's not the same as a yeshiva that offers a BTL.

You can get an actual degree while in ner yisroel, attending local schools, not just a BLT. (A BLT you can really get at most yeshivas) I know people who have gone through the program and are pretty successful today. Many with a CPA work in large firms including PWC. Many get gov't jobs, while not high paying have great job security and pension.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 4:56 pm
sky wrote:
You can get an actual degree while in ner yisroel, attending local schools, not just a BLT. (A BLT you can really get at most yeshivas) I know people who have gone through the program and are pretty successful today. Many with a CPA work in large firms including PWC. Many get gov't jobs, while not high paying have great job security and pension.

true, but the yeshiva is not a college in and of itself. those degrees are obtained through a partner college, if I'm not mistaken. touro gives its own degrees.

imokay

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 5:44 pm
If he does decide on a major /career before entering college, please leave the option open for him to switch tracks in middle..... I know too many people who didn't particularly like the major they had chosen but felt they had to stick it out all the way through to the end....
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics