Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Beef With Broccoli or any chinese style meat
Previous  1  2

r1

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 7:39 am
mandr wrote:
I make the one from the Bais Yakov cookbook and it's our family's favorite supper, or one of them at least. I make it for Rosh Chodesh and then whenever else we could use it Smile

4-6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lb pepper steak
Salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, sliced
1 carrot , julienned
1 zucchini, peeled and julienned
1 cup broccoli
1 cup fresh button mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1. Heat vegetable oil in a large wok over high heat. Season meat with salt and pepper. Ad to hot wok, and stir fry until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove meat from pan and keep warm.

2. Add onion, carrot, zucchini, broccoli and mushrooms to the same hot pan and sauté 5 minutes or until soft. Return meat to the wok. Toss with the vegetables. Remove the wok from heat and cover to keep warm.

3. Whisk cornstarch and water mix, with soy sauce, honey and crushed rd pepper flakes in a small saucepan over low heat. Bring to a boil; cook until thickened.

4. Place meat and vegetables on a plate. Pour sauce over the meat

That's their recipe, but here are my changes:

I cook the beef in a wok with a little oil and about a cup or two of water for ONE HOUR over low heat. I do this the night before so that I don't waste time on that by day. There is no way the meat is done and SOFT in just a few minuets as they suggest. Really!

I do this recipe with a little over 1 lb of pepper steak. I use two onions. I scrub the zucchini with soapy water and then slick them instead of peeling and juilienning.

I don't heat the sauce in a separate pot because why make another pot dirty if you can get the same effect this way - just mix it well!

I add the sauce to the pot and stir it. Then I serve over rice.

Enjoy!!

Just a few qs about ur method- u cook the meat with salt and pepper or plain? Then u leave veggies in the pan while u cook the suace?

mandr

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:42 am
r1 wrote:
Just a few qs about ur method- u cook the meat with salt and pepper or plain? Then u leave veggies in the pan while u cook the suace?

Yes I cook with salt and pepper. The sauce isn't cooked prior to adding to the pan. I just mix ingredients in a small bowl and then add to the pot once veggies are cooked.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics