Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School Supplies rant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:50 am
It makes me crazy. My kids need very specific things which are 1. hard to find and 2. not cheap. Why can't I decide if I want to buy three single notebooks or a 3 subject notebook? The regular notebooks are all on sale, the 3 subject are not. Same with looseleafs, don't tell me hard cover, soft cover, 2 inch, 3 inch. I always save looseleafs that are in good condition, but we usually can't use it again but it doesn't fit the teachers specifications. I do send my kids with a 1 1/2 inch instead of 2 inch - much cheaper. My son needed a non spiral, perforated notebook. I didn't even know they made such a thing! Who cares if it's spiral??

rosenbal

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:54 am
amother wrote:
......my son does.....two months into the school year last year, the teacher let me know that she was having a problem because her erasers for the room were disappearing....into my sons mouth :-(
But I agree, some things are really nuts. 4 boxes of sharpened pencils???? PLUS two boxes of pencils? If I send all of that to school, I will have to replace it in six weeks....but of course the teacher/rebbi won't let me know when my son is low, relying on him to do it....

Ha, ha...I have a chewer so I actually wouldn't be surprised if he "snacked" too! But I know that when there's so many supplies, they get wasted. I hear stories of one class that "got into" eraser carving. Another kid told me they "all" made bracelets out of glue they sqeezed out...

My son is adhd and very dissorganized but just because he'll loose things, doesnt mean everyone else in the class or my other kids need 80 pencils!

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 9:01 am
Ah yes the notebooks- a stenographer notebook w top spiral?! A four pocket folder?! Colored pencils, markers, and crayons? Five diff color highlighters?!

rosenbal

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 9:55 am
Did u know there is actually such a thing as a 3 subject composition notebook? Yup, ordered one on amazon since didn't see at target. It's double the price of 3 separate comp notebooks and only has 20 more pages than a single comp notebook. It doesnt even have any special dividers....just a thin blue page to demarcate the subjects.

My dh had told me to just make it myself....but did I listen? No, I wanted my son to not be different...and then it came in the mail and I just laughed!! I really could have made one in about 60 seconds!

Jeanette

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 9:59 am
I really think parents have to put their foot down at some point.
Many teachers are young and don't have kids themselves, let alone multiple kids in different grades, and don't know what it means to run around to five stores to find the exact thing on the list.
They have to know that you will do your best to accommodate reasonable expectations but if they are going to be ridiculously specific as to exact size, color and shape of the required school supplies, they will either have to provide it themselves (they can charge a small fee) or be happy with whatever parents are able to procure.

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:09 am
My daughter is in a BP preschool. All the teachers have asked for so far was a change of clothes, smock, box of tissues and a thing of handsoap. One year in middle of the winter season a teacher asked for another round of tissue boxes. I myself sent in new boxes unprompted if my kid had a bad cold. So far she was in headstart, they pay for teachers supplies/arts and crafts etc. Its her first non headstart year, first day of school, I'll let you know what list she comes home with....

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
When the school doesn't provide the supplies, they can ask for plenty of everything because it's the parents that are paying. Which is why a second grader around here needs 5 (!) composition notebooks. Chutzpah.

If you are in the US, composition notebooks are on sale at Staples for 50 cents. Granted, they were cheaper earlier this summer (and if I had a kid at that stage, I would have bought then, and just filled in now).

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:14 am
DrMom wrote:
*Each child* has to bring *6 boxes* of pencils? Does the school supplement its income by selling them on e-bay?

Or do they divide up the school supplies among the student body (one person brings all the pencils, one brings all the glue, one person brings all the paper, etc.)?

And why will you have to replace that in 6 weeks? You child uses 1 box (~12 pencils) each week (2 each day)? Is he eating those too???

Its almost certainly for the classroom stash, not for an individual child.

But yes, kids eat pencils. Or chew on them. One year, DS was seated next to Zalman the Pencil Chewer. Every day, Zalman asked to borrow a pencil. Every day, Zalman chewed it. Every day, DS said, "you can keep it." I must have given Zalman 70 or 80 pencils.

asp40

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:26 am
My kids have attended two different schools. The first school had the crazy "6 dozen pencils" request as well as really hard to find colors of folders and what not. They pooled all supplies and if you didnt label your folders you got some cheap folder from a parent who did not follow the list. I learned to label everything. But I still felt that I was supplying the whole classroom. This was a wealthy school in a wealthy area.

Next school. Same lists came home, BUT each child had to bring a pencil case filled with 3 pencils, crayons, etc . . . And as the year progressed the teacher sent home the pencil cases to be refilled. None of this nonsense about sending in 200 pencils and 80 crayons in September. I much preferred the second way.

happybeingamom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:39 am
I love when they ask for 6 notebooks/composition books and at the end of the school year some only had a few pages used.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:47 am
I spent $3 on school supplies this year. Youngest kid, raided our bins including looseleaf paper I stocked up on at 25 cents a pack a few years ago. The only thing he couldn't find was a compass, and the dollar store was out. The neighboring drugstore had it. Over the years I've found large binders at dollar stores and thrift shops.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:50 am
I was really sick of being handed a supply list on the first day of school and being expected to complete the treasure hunt and show up with everything within the next day or two only to be told that I got the wrong this or that. I told the school (B"H it's a small school where they actually sometimes listen to my input) at the end of last year to just charge a supply fee and get everything themselves for the students to avoid problems. (Not to mention they get better prices buying in quantity anyhow). So no supply shopping this year.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
at least you guys got a list. Im sending my 2 older kids to a new school and everyday they come home telling me that they need this or that. So everyday instead of cleaning up the house I have to go running around town buying stuff.

They also want a photo, so now I have to go with them friday or sunday to do that.

Im gonna call her up and ask her to pls give me a list of everything that they need. cause it ruins my whole day running back and forward.

Im this op. another thing, I was told that my son has to have x type of shoes. not sport etc. We go to a shoe shop and buy him a pair of 65 eu shoes. First day of school my dh checks up on them at lunch time and sees that his new shoes are dusty from playing outside. So the teacher says ok so he can wear his other shoes. Thanks. Now are you gonna give me my money back??? doubt it.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:34 pm
My kids' school also has ridiculous supplies lists but at least they post the lists midway through the summer. My kindergarten son needed 16 glue sticks! Also they request specific brands of markers, crayons, scissors etc. so that the classroom supplies can be 'uniform'. Not to mentions boxes of tissues, wipes, paper towels, ziploc bags etc...
The one thing I like is that for my elementary kids the teachers divide the lists into pooled supplies and supplies that you should label for your kid. So at least I know if I buy a certain binder and folder they like, they will get it, while the packs of sharpened pencils, markers, highlighters, etc. will be pooled for classroom use throughout the year.

debsey

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:37 pm
glutenless wrote:
It makes me crazy. My kids need very specific things which are 1. hard to find and 2. not cheap. Why can't I decide if I want to buy three single notebooks or a 3 subject notebook? The regular notebooks are all on sale, the 3 subject are not. Same with looseleafs, don't tell me hard cover, soft cover, 2 inch, 3 inch. I always save looseleafs that are in good condition, but we usually can't use it again but it doesn't fit the teachers specifications. I do send my kids with a 1 1/2 inch instead of 2 inch - much cheaper. My son needed a non spiral, perforated notebook. I didn't even know they made such a thing! Who cares if it's spiral??

1) ITA!
2) What really makes me furious is when I go to twelve stores to find something and then it ISN'T USED.
Look, if the teacher has a special system where they use flashcards stored on a ring binder clip, and it is used daily, FINE. It's worth the time and effort. But if I hunted down this elusive, hard to find item, and then they don't use it, that really upsets me!
3) I found that exact item non-spiral, perforated composition book - in Staples. JIC you're still looking........

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:41 pm
Um, wow. My son needs three pencils, one pencil sharpener, one eraser, some highlighters, a folder, a loose leaf, one stick glue, etc. I buy extra to keep at home and then replenish as needed. What's with these outrageous numbers?

21young

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:42 pm
As a former teacher I am probably guilty of asking for too many supplies. True, an experienced teacher should have the list down pat by now but a new teacher really isn't sure what she needs. She figures, let me ask for too much rather than too little because if I ask for another notebook a few weeks into the year the mothers will really get mad.
But as a mother I totally get you. Just trying to explain.

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:56 pm
debsey wrote:
1) ITA!
2) What really makes me furious is when I go to twelve stores to find something and then it ISN'T USED.
Look, if the teacher has a special system where they use flashcards stored on a ring binder clip, and it is used daily, FINE. It's worth the time and effort. But if I hunted down this elusive, hard to find item, and then they don't use it, that really upsets me!
3) I found that exact item non-spiral, perforated composition book - in Staples. JIC you're still looking........

Staples also has the cards on the ring, FTR.

http://www.staples.com/Staples.....21782

BTDT

Look on the bright side. My son just texted me, "I need you to buy me this book for history." That's it. No photo. No name. No author. I think he may need to provide me with a little more information.

debsey

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:10 pm
Barbara wrote:
Staples also has the cards on the ring, FTR.

http://www.staples.com/Staples.....21782

BTDT

Look on the bright side. My son just texted me, "I need you to buy me this book for history." That's it. No photo. No name. No author. I think he may need to provide me with a little more information.

You're a mom. Mental telapathy is part of your job description..... Rolling Eyes

madys

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:18 pm
My son's school really has THE BEST system ever!!

Included in the tuition contract is $36 for supplies. The school has a communal supply system. The school orders ALL the supplies, and the teachers need to stick within a budget

They have a bin for pencils in the classroom. Each student gets notebooks, folders, markers. And everyone has the same, so there is no competition.

It makes this time of year so easy!

They do this for up to 5th grade. So this is my last year Sad
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics