Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is everyone really a size 2
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next

what size are you
 33%  [ 77 ]
 66%  [ 151 ]
Total Votes : 228

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 5:44 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
If you're a size 2 why do you need to lose more weight?

Depends on her frame. I am a 2 and am trying to get into shape physically just have a hard stomach and legs that are firm when jumping. That's different than losing weight. My cousin on the other hand is an overweight size two... She has such a small frame that she's chubby! She works out countless hours and diets because she is chubby, even her nutritionist told her to stay on top of her belly fat!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 5:44 pm
debsey wrote:
With all the size 2 bashing, I'm just gonna point out - when you are very short, petite and fine-boned, and you gain even a bit of weight, it just looks dumpy.
My friend always makes fun of me for my workout schedule and caring so much to lose weight. But she's 5"8. When she's a size 12, she can carry it. She looks beautiful, stately and dignified. Does she look better when she's a bit thinner? Yes. But she looks great at every size. When I'm a larger size, the whole garment doesn't fit right. Even when I buy petite sizes, they are assuming you are 5"4, so everything is a bit "off". So if you're lucky enough to be taller, fashion is definitely more forgiving.......

I don't know what a size 10/12 from 30 years ago is today. But that's what I was back then at 5'4" and I think I looked pretty good. I wish I would have felt it then....

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 11:58 pm
When I was shopping for my size 14 Shabbos top, the super skinny single sister and her married sister were also trying on clothes. The single must have told her sister 4 times "You're stomach is so flat, no one will ever believe you are a mother" in an overloud, obnoxious voice. Took all my self control not to ball up the shirt I was trying on(that looked really awful on me btw) and stuff it into her very large mouth.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 2:34 am
I used to buy size 4s back when I was single...my hips are bigger now even if I lost another 10 pounds, I don't think it would fit (unless the sizes are very changed)...

I look around me now and having dropped down to size 8/10 from pregnancy weight (though I squeezed into my old size 6 bathing suit not too long ago...), and I am skinnier than most of my friends...and happy/proud of what I've accomplished (though dh has told me that he loves me no matter what size I am....) I have a very small frame, so I feel much more myself when the rest of my body goes with my skinny arms and legs.

where I live - more women are plus sized than size 2.... we are all 30+ ... I'm glad I don't live in 2 land. It's much easier to have a good body image when you live among normal women..

rachel91

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 3:49 am
amother wrote:
I used to buy size 4s back when I was single...my hips are bigger now even if I lost another 10 pounds, I don't think it would fit (unless the sizes are very changed)...

I look around me now and having dropped down to size 8/10 from pregnancy weight (though I squeezed into my old size 6 bathing suit not too long ago...), and I am skinnier than most of my friends...and happy/proud of what I've accomplished (though dh has told me that he loves me no matter what size I am....) I have a very small frame, so I feel much more myself when the rest of my body goes with my skinny arms and legs.

where I live - more women are plus sized than size 2.... we are all 30+ ... I'm glad I don't live in 2 land. It's much easier to have a good body image when you live among normal women..

Where is 2-land? Very Happy (sorry, just loved that expression)

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:10 am
rachel91 wrote:
Where is 2-land? Very Happy (sorry, just loved that expression)

I picture it in New York where there are lots of hot Chanis who are wealthy and don't work and can just focus on being size 2s...

fmt4

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:37 am
amother wrote:

This is very insulting. Size 2 women are "normal" too.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:57 am
I know more 20s than 2s, not only is observant circles but also among the non jews.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:33 am
This thread is beginning to feel insulting. I am no "hot chani," I hate NY, and my dh and I are total nerds. I wouldn't even know what a fashion trend is if it hit me in the face.

I am a size 0/2. And pregnancy didn't change it. There is nothing 'wrong' with me. Just as there is nothing 'wrong' with any other size. As long as you are healthy and happy, don't judge me. I certainly don't judge anyone for their size. Nor do I even care what size you are.

Can't we just live and let live in regards to the size of other people's waists?

catonmylap

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:42 am
I think there's been some serious changes in some clothing sizes...

I picture a size 2 waist as like 24 inches or something like that... and I just don't see very many grown women who look like I picture a size 2 walking down the street... I remember when my sister's friend wore a size 2, she was tiny... so OP believing that most women are a size 2, is very odd to me.

However, per google ---
There is no set waist size for a size 2. Or any women's sizes for that matter. The number is arbitrary and differs from brand to brand. A women's size 2 can vary from a 25 inch waist to a 35 inch waist going from brand to brand, there has never been any regulation within the fashion industry that says "a size two has to have these dimensions" and so forth, although it has been suggested many times. Even designer brands which label their jeans in waist sizes, like 26 or 27, do not match up their "sizes" with the actual measurements of their jeans. I have a pair of size 26 Seven jeans which are not actually 26 inches around the waist.

But if size 2 can go up to a 35 inch waist, maybe I'm a size 2 too!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:44 am
I agree. Can't we all get along? Some of my best friends are single digit sized women.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:57 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I agree. Can't we all get along? Some of my best friends are single digit sized women.
That's right!

ectomorph

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:04 am
Actually I just realized that most of my best friends are over size 10. I really have to find some new friends.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:32 am
I was a size 0 in college, now after a few babies am a size 2. I really don't go to extreme measures to maintain it but I do like to exercise- even just taking a walk. I also honestly feel that many naturally thin women like me don't have a tortured relationship with food - for example I eat dessert, carbs, steak whatever, but I don't really stuff my face since I know it's not my one chance for something yummy, because I'm not on a super strict diet.

I do find that even naturally thin women do have to work a bit harder as they get older. For me I started to notice it when I was 30. Before then I really could eat anything.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:40 am
Not all thin women have to starve themselves to be thin.
I'm a size 2 (sometimes 4 in certain brands) and it's thanks to a quick metabolism and a natural gravitation to eating healthy foods, and no interest in noshing (unless it's chocolate!). I don't care for potato chips, I rarely eat packaged cookies... I enjoy desserts that I make for Shabbat, but I don't go crazy eating them. I eat normal foods, regular portions.

It's offensive to naturally thin women to say that they're starving themselves to look a certain way, or that they're not real or "normal" women. Some naturally thin women are blessed with a quick metabolism. Don't hate on them because of that. And don't assume that all thin women are thin due to societal or spousal pressure. Some may be, but not all.

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
I picture it in New York where there are lots of hot Chanis who are wealthy and don't work and can just focus on being size 2s...

really? most ppl here work Exclamation

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:51 am
eschaya wrote:
For those who lament being a 2-digit size or being pear shaped... take a day and go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (or similar in your area) and enjoy the gorgeous nude paintings. You can see the love with which the artists painted the women, and you know that all the "Marys" are exemplars of what beauty was to most men, right up until about this century. Those women are warm, white and fleshy, have proportionately larger bottoms then tops, have fresh faces, and are examples of beautiful, real women... as seen and imagined by real men! The lean, hard, top-heavy bodies of modern day beauty is a recent thing. Female beauty has long been defined as "soft", "warm", etc (don't want to get too steamy now...).
Dh was starting to wonder about my fascination with the nudes at the MET till I explained to him that there was no prurient intent, rather just the sheer happiness of internalizing that current standards of female beauty are unrealistic and that for the vast majority of time, I and most of you would be deemed as very attractive!

ok but the nudes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art don't have cellulite or varicose veins (not saying have either of those, just sayin'). I still get mad at the nude statues or paintings or whatever because guess what? humans as they age don't have the perfect skin anymore (and some never had it to begin with) so it is still an "idealized" (or idolized?) body image that is not so realistic.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:01 am
I can eat all that I want and I will fluctuate between a size 2 and 4 on top, and size 6 and 8 on bottem. I am trying to eat healthier for nursing purposes and hate when people comment that I'm soooo skinny.... why am I dieting? I'm not- I am making healthy life style choices while also indulging in ice cream ect. Yes I order a regular bake with cream cheese from the bagel shop. Is it my fault that I don't gain weight very quickly? I am extremely appreciative of my metabolism.
I also look like a size 2- but I will never be a healthy size 2. Without any fleah, my bone structure is size 4 on top and 6 on bottom.

malkacooks

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:10 am
I think the bottom line is the pendulum swings both ways, there are pp that will say a small size 2 is not healthy or normal and those that try to justify it. And then there are those that will say a size 12+ is not healthy or normal and try to justify that too. My husband's grandmother (who was overweight) used to always mock skinny women saying they should eat a little more cake etc. and bemoan the fact that why dont women look healthy anymore like when she grew up. But honestly no one told her to her face that she was never "healthy" and heath wise she could loose 40 or so pounds herself....

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:13 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If you're a size 2 why do you need to lose more weight?

Like I said I fluctuate from 0-6 depending on the store but in general I am a size 2-4.
I watch what I eat because I have health issues.
I exercise because unlike many people think, exercise is for health and fitness not only for losing weight.
I obsess over my exercise, stomach muscles and such because I need to lose inches. I may be a size 2 but it doesn't come with unlimited access anymore not since I had kids.
I like to look skinny and to have a flat stomach like I used to and whilst I know it may not be a possiblity I definitely try to work towards it.

Besides it is important to have a goal in something in life Wink
Page 10 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics