Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is everyone really a size 2
  Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next

what size are you
 33%  [ 77 ]
 66%  [ 151 ]
Total Votes : 228

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:39 pm
aleph wrote:
Then there is the whole issue of "size inflation."

My dd wears a size 2. Now I NEVER wore a size 2, but I was very slender in my teens and 20s, and was certain that we shared a pretty similar figure....

Well, I pulled out all my old size 7/8's (yeah, I kept them... a girl can dream, can't she?), and lo and behold! They fit her perfectly, just like her size 2's. What do you know.... Marketing at its best. Rolling Eyes

I wear an "8". I also have some of my grandmother's cashmere sweaters, circa 60s/70s, and the sizes in them range from 12-14.

Last edited by vintagebknyc on Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
somehow it always seems that everyone is sooo thin. I probably just look at the pple that are so thin and not the normal, average pple.

Obviously. Your poll proves it. In the World According to You, there are no people above a size 10, which is as big as a person can get. Beyond that, they're not people, I guess.

Queen Latifah and Oprah beg to differ.

Last edited by zaq on Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Emotional

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:42 pm
reportrmom wrote:
If some of us are a bit rounder, and larger than a size ten, are we not worth even giving a voice or a vote to?

I wish I was as thin as a size ten. Haven't been that in nearly 20 years.

CLEARLY you got that way by not eating low-fat. Anyone above a size 4 is a slovenly failure, clearly lacking in self-control. Chatterbox Chatterbox Chatterbox

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:43 pm
On further reflection (hee hee. See my reflection? I'm a very thin penguin ... I eat a lot of fish!)

Let's be dan OP lekaf zchus. She was creating the poll & hit submit too soon. She didn't mean it. She was going to create a choice for 14/16/18 and even 20/22/24. I am sure.

Last edited by penguin on Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:44 pm
penguin wrote:
On further reflection (hee hee. See my reflection? I'm so thin..)
let's be dan OP lekaf zchus. She was creating the poll & hit submit too soon. She didn't mean it. She was going to create a choice for 14/16/18 and even 20/22/24. I am sure.

And you're a saint.

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:45 pm
Quote:
And you're a saint.
Thank you, but I am not. But it's Elul, so I'm trying harder.

Emotional

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:46 pm
zaq wrote:
And you're a saint.

Nuh uh. I'M a saint. Angel
And skinny too (size18-20...)

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:51 pm

AND you only eat l'shem shomayim!

rachel91

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:55 pm
I was not skinny as a girl, but after my second baby I lost alot of weight and was a size 6-8( 5'7), now I'm a size 6-8-10 embarrassed sometimes, but then I don't buy the item, if I don't fit into a size 8 Crying, but I usually do.

I'm trying to loose abit more weight now, I would love to be a steady 4-6.
And yes, you might think my post seems strange, but that is what I want, noone forces me, or criticizes me and if I feel, that I want to loose more weight, despite all the 'why? you are so skinny blabla's', then this is my decision.

And I'm not putting down anyone bigger than size 8 or 10, everybody has to be comfortable in their own body.

Emotional

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:58 pm
penguin wrote:

AND you only eat l'shem shomayim!

Of COURSE.......!!!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:01 pm
I'm a size 2. I think it's more common for frum girls to be small size since we are often petite. I'm 5"2. Very different from a size 2 at 5"8.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:04 pm
I am a size 6. I used to be a zero but I gained a lot of weight in the last few few years. I am average height.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:04 pm
Yup! I am a size 2! I am kidding. I actually can never be less than an 8-10 based the way my body is built. I am not complaining.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:15 pm
Everyone I know is a size 0 or 2, has 5 or more kids, works at a respectable job and also keeps their home spotless, and cooks 4 course dinners every night.

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:25 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Everyone I know is a size 0 or 2, has 5 or more kids, works at a respectable job and also keeps their home spotless, and cooks 4 course dinners every night.

Then I guess we've never met Wink

mille

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:48 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if women's clothing was sized like men's? My husband goes to Target or Kohls, and just has to look for the 42x30 pants. This isn't some fancy bespoke tailor! Maybe if you're exceptionally tall or thin or short or fat you'll have trouble, but for everyone in the middle of the bell curve, clothes come in easy increments.

And then my husband wonders why it takes me forever to go shopping... well, because who the frell knows what a size "Medium" or a size "10" actually is? Will it fit me in the bust? Will it fit me in the hips? Will it fit my waist but not my hips? I have to eyeball the shirt/dress/skirt, but also take a size up and down to the dressing room with me... and even then, who knows?!?!

So I say, size is just a number, and it's not even always the same number!

This is just what I was thinking! My measurements would put me as (generally) a size 6 in the bust, a size 0-2 in the waist, and a size 4 in the hips. I'm also short, but I don't have some of the typical petite features (I don't have narrow shoulders or a short torso). So what does that make me?! Do I average it out? Pick the biggest measurement (because that's practically what I need to buy, then alter the rest)?

I so wish we had sizes like men's sizes! I know not many women here can relate, but shopping for women's jeans is an utter pain! I just find one brand that fits me in one specific size and never branch out! If my pants could be, say, 24x26 like men's pants, that would be great!

For anyone with similar problems, particular in the busty front, there's a clothing brand in the UK called Pepperberry (made by the awesome store/brand Bravissimo) which includes room for boobs in the clothes! 3 or 4 levels of bustiness, and then you buy your street size to fit the rest. It's awesome! Kind of expensive, but nice to not have to alter things!

This is a bit of a tangent from the OP, but I think others covered it ("no, that's not true"/"you didn't include all the sizes") Smile

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:56 pm
mille wrote:
This is just what I was thinking! My measurements would put me as (generally) a size 6 in the bust, a size 0-2 in the waist, and a size 4 in the hips. I'm also short, but I don't have some of the typical petite features (I don't have narrow shoulders or a short torso). So what does that make me?! Do I average it out? Pick the biggest measurement (because that's practically what I need to buy, then alter the rest)?

I so wish we had sizes like men's sizes! I know not many women here can relate, but shopping for women's jeans is an utter pain! I just find one brand that fits me in one specific size and never branch out! If my pants could be, say, 24x26 like men's pants, that would be great!

For anyone with similar problems, particular in the busty front, there's a clothing brand in the UK called Pepperberry (made by the awesome store/brand Bravissimo) which includes room for boobs in the clothes! 3 or 4 levels of bustiness, and then you buy your street size to fit the rest. It's awesome! Kind of expensive, but nice to not have to alter things!

This is a bit of a tangent from the OP, but I think others covered it ("no, that's not true"/"you didn't include all the sizes") Smile

european sizes are like that no?

it goes by hip measurements

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:08 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if women's clothing was sized like men's? My husband goes to Target or Kohls, and just has to look for the 42x30 pants. This isn't some fancy bespoke tailor! Maybe if you're exceptionally tall or thin or short or fat you'll have trouble, but for everyone in the middle of the bell curve, clothes come in easy increments.

And then my husband wonders why it takes me forever to go shopping... well, because who the frell knows what a size "Medium" or a size "10" actually is? Will it fit me in the bust? Will it fit me in the hips? Will it fit my waist but not my hips? I have to eyeball the shirt/dress/skirt, but also take a size up and down to the dressing room with me... and even then, who knows?!?!

So I say, size is just a number, and it's not even always the same number!

Its not like that for men anymore. I just took DS shopping. Sometimes he's a small. Sometimes he's a medium. Sometimes it all swims on him and he can't wear it at all. He wears a 32 waist in one brand, and a 29 in another (even though the sales clerk told us that style ran small!). Sometimes he needs a 15 collar; sometimes a 15-1/2. And don't get me started on buying him a blazer.

fmt4

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:10 pm
I'm also 5"2 and a size two. I find it really hard to find anything in my size in any stores except for the European ones. Lord and Taylor told me that they often don't stock dresses under size 4. So that seems to imply that most people are NOT size 0 and 2. Also, many stores have vanity sizing. For example, at j crew or Anne Taylor I can be a double zero sometimes, whereas at h and m I'm a 4.

mommyofd1

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:17 pm
fmt4 wrote:
I'm also 5"2 and a size two. I find it really hard to find anything in my size in any stores except for the European ones. Lord and Taylor told me that they often don't stock dresses under size 4. So that seems to imply that most people are NOT size 0 and 2. Also, many stores have vanity sizing. For example, at j crew or Anne Taylor I can be a double zero sometimes, whereas at h and m I'm a 4.

Same here! In jewish stores I can be a 00 skirt size and in an H and m I could fit into a 6! One time I even got a size 8 top in h and m when I'm usually about a 4. btw I'm under 5' and petite. Sorry OP for going off topic.
Page 2 of 13   Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next Recent Topics