Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Where were you on 9/11?
1  2  3  Next

imamazing

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:08 am
None of us will ever forget where we were and what we were doing when we first heard abt the terror attacks on 9/11... Even though its been 13 years...

So, where were you on 9/11?

Last edited by imamazing on Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:18 am
OK a bit freaky but here it is.

We were just home from a trip to America with my dad. I begged him can we also go to NY!! he didn't feel it, another time he said you'll go. He told me in the airport that security was low and many arabs there including pilots and had a bad feeling from it-before you ask, not his type to say that.

I first saw internet down, phone down... went to ask neighbour if it's the same by him, and he told me you didn't see on tv????? I turned it on and.... Crying Crying Crying Crying

bcimhappy

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:28 am
It was my first day of high school. We had just come up to our classes after davening. When the principal called us down to the assembly room again because there was an attack on the world trade center. There was so much chaos because so many of our fathers/mothers/uncles ect worked downtown. Including my father. So my sister and I ran frantically to the pay phones outside to call.
Thank gd he was running late bc it was my little brothers first day of kindergarten.
May all the victims blood be avenged.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:31 am
I was a high school student traveling on a public bus to school. (Had a long commute from which manhattan was visible.) Suddenly we saw thick heavy smoke in the manhattan skyline. Tons of papers flying in the air-we thought at first the papers were an advertisement gig unrelated to the smoke. Nobody had internet on the go in those days. We were all speculating what it could be. Somebody said a bomb. When we got school we found out what actually happened. I was stranded in the neighborhood of my school until night when busses were finally running again. Back home everything outdoors was covered with dust. The wind blew the debris all the way to Boro Park.
I'll never forget that ride on the bus watching the heavy smoke fill the skyline.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:36 am
I was in eleventh grade. We were all crying and screaming. Trying to figure out what was going. Trying to call our parents because so many of them worked in the city.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:37 am
I was in college somewhere in NYC (not Stern, so I wasn't so close). I didn't have an early class, so I was still sleeping. My roommate woke me up with the news. It was a crazy day. Classes were cancelled, but it was hard to find out anything. When we still thought there would be survivors and many wounded, a bunch of us went to donate blood. The lines were so long that they turned us away.

I was freaking out because my father was supposed to be flying home from a business trip to Europe and I didn't know what planes had crashed. Phone lines were either down or overwhelmed, so I couldn't even get through to my mother to find out what was going on. I was finally able to contact my brother through AOL IM. It turned out that my father got stuck in Europe through R"H because planes were grounded for a while. B"H for Jewish hospitality around the world.

I have such vivid memories of that day. Crazy.

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:38 am
Same as Mommy2b2c
11th grade
Very scared because family members worked in the city (my sister worked in Building 4 of World Trade Cent- she was there during the attacks but fled Manhattan and was B"H fine B"H)

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:42 am
I was just pulling into the parking lot of my workplace when a newsflash came up on the radio informing everyone that the first plane had hit....I parked and went into the office, met my supervisor and told her what I had just heard. In disbelief, she turned an overhead TV on and everyone gathered round......no one worked that day. I saw coworkers get down on their knees and pray. I pulled out my Tehillim. Everyone talked to Hashem, in whatever way.

Our manager had gone into NY to a client site. He later told us that he and one of the VP's at NYL were walking down Broadway when they saw a plane flying really low overhead. He was like "watch it" and then saw it head straight into the tower downtown, in front of their eyes.

Both my father and FIL worked downtown, and it took them some time to get home.

My BIL was a member of the East Side Hatzalah at the time, but my sister had given birth to my niece that week, and he was not one of the responders. He soon heard that all his close friends were trapped....B"H they all got out. It was terribly frightening.

Another BIL's good friend lost his life in the tower. He had seen him at a Bar Mitzvah the night before. H"YD.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:48 am
Watched the towers from my kitchen window in boro park. They looked like two tall chimneys. I saw them fall. Papers and ash flying in the wind. Landing on the ground. Went outside and got covered with soot. Watched tv by a relative and saw the planes crashing into the buildings again and again.

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:05 am
I was on a bus, heading to work, when the first plane hit. There was a man, in his 20s, listening to the radio on headphones, and I remember him saying, loud enough for everyone around him to hear, "A plane just hit the World Trade Center." I assumed it was a small plane, a tragic accident. Until he said it again, "A second plane hit the World Trade Center." My first thought was that he was psychotic, crazy. It couldn't be real.

I went to my office, called my husband, went on the internet. Then we dragged a TV we used for watching video to an outside office, where we watched the Towers fall.

Believe it or not, I received work-related calls that morning. I remember telling one person, "don't you know what's going on? do you think this really matters now?"

After the second Tower fell, my husband called to say that they were running all of the buses out of the City, then stopping transit for the day, so I ran to get a bus home. It was packed. If you lost your footing, you couldn't have fallen. The driver just let people on until no more would fit. I saw people walking home, on the highways. They looked like zombies, vacant-eyed. Shocked.

Remember, none of us knew what was next. We thought there would be truck bombs. Suicide bombs. That nothing and nowhere was safe. When I got off the bus, I found a friend sitting on the curb, crying. Her brother was at the WTC. She couldn't reach him. (BH, he was safe.)

Without being told, our sitter had gone to school to pick up DS. His lead teacher had a daughter at Stuyvesant. She tried to hold herself together for the kids, but I don't know she did it. When I got home, the sitter was on the couch with the TV on, just hugging DS. I always bought toys on sale, saved them for Chanukah, for birthdays. I gave DS most of them that day. I thought the world was ending. I thought he might as well enjoy a few more trains before we all died.

The rest of the day was eerie. We could see the smoke, but we could also see a park where children were playing. How could children still play?

We were so lucky. We're all OK. We didn't lose anyone, although we have many friends who did. But still, its never far from our minds.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:11 am
At school, in the library, checking my email.

syrima

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:15 am
I was living in Manhattan , and very pregnant.
Now this year, we are making a bar mitzvah.
it is so sad to see the children who were so young when their parents died who are now all grown up.
So many gaping holes in so many lives.
And the war against evil is far from won.

momoftwo2

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:25 am
I was getting ready for my first day of high school when my mom came crying that one tower is burning. I couldn't understand her hysteria was sure the fire Dept can take care of that. As I was standing on our porch waiting to see what will happen to the fire, a plain flew by overhead very low. I watched it heading straight into the second tower. Don't know what was louder, the explosion or my screams.

UQT

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:31 am
I was a miserable American newlywed in Israel trying to adjust. I was davening at the Kosel when I heard. On the way back the Americans were dominating the bus conversation, assuring the Israeli's that their sister in laws in Cleveland are definitely OK and that the Twin Towers is higher than anything they can imagine (Ah, 15 floors?, over 100, iy efshar!).

busydev

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:42 am
I was in 8th grade and not in NY.
By morning announcements the principal said there would be no outdoor recess today cause of planes and we were all very confused. A couple hours into the day I had to go home because my mother needed me to babysit while she had a dr's appt and thats when I found out. while I was gone they told my class what had happened.

Hug to all who were there and who lost loved ones.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:43 am
I was outside school with my sister and my father sped into the parking lot with his radio blaring everyone came running out from all over and my father was shaking.
I remember my friend wanted me to go with her shopping and my mother wouldn't let she just sat on her bed listening to the news over and over again.

My dh said he remembers hearing about it in class and when they went outside to play the ground was covered in soot and papers (he lived in Brooklyn). He also said no one was using their AC because it wasn't working properly and his parents had to buy several new ones afterwards.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:56 am
I was in 9th grade. I lived on the West Coast, and my parents assumed that school would be cancelled since we'd had time to hear about the attacks in the morning.

We didn't have a tv, so we went to our neighbors to see the news.

In the afternoon, we got a call that school was still in session, so I got dropped off at school. I was late for math class and my teacher still gave me 5 points off for tardiness.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:08 am
I was home, in NY, when my fil in Argentina called asking about my dh. He said he heard what happened and can't get through to him. My dh worked near the twin towers at the time. I thought he was exaggerating, but soon after my dh called me. B'h, he made it home safe and sound with soot all over him. He walked across the brooklyn bridge with hundreds of other people.

mandr

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:56 pm
I was in ninth grade, during Tefila, when the assistant principal rushed in and announced, "Girls, they're bombing Manhattan!" which freaked everyone out. Later there was an actual bomb threat made in a few schools in Monsey. They made us sit outside on the grass in the backyard. My father picked us up and took us home. We got home and went straight to my uncle to watch the news.

My DH was learning in Williamsburg at the time and he watched it happen while on a porch.

I remember calling my father and getting, "Please hold while the Nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is located."

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:58 pm
I was getting ready to go on a school trip [that was cancelled].
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics