Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Need Entryway Ideas
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:05 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Can you post a picture? That might help us visualize it.

I'd love to, but I'm waiting for my SD card reader to arrive, as my desktop doesn't recognize my camera via usb Sad

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:07 pm
librarygirl wrote:
How about replacing the sliding doors with regular doors and putting kids hooks on the back of the doors? They don't have to navigate the closet and you can move the existing rod back if necessary to make room for their puffy coats.

Is it really easy to take the space from the sliding doors to put 2 regular ones? (I don't know the sizing involved)

penguin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:08 pm
Do you own or rent? That makes a pretty big difference in terms of what is a worthwhile investment. But I would tend to agree with changing the doors to regular doors.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
If the closet is really so deep and unreachable then maybe you can use that section of the closet to store pesach dishes or something else you hardly use and put the hooks in the living room

Well that was my original question! If I'm putting hooks outside the closet, where should they go? (I posted a potterybarn floor layout link there)
On the wall next to the closet more out in the open, or in the small corner in the living room area?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:10 pm
BTW, closet is 27" from back wall to where the door frame begins.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:12 pm
Buy some of those command hooks to experiment with location for hooks.

Actually, is the sliding door solid? If so, put hooks right on the front door so the other one can still slide back.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:16 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm not really picturing how to turn the closet configuration sideways? Extend what wall?

ok, a sliding door means the entrance to the closet is the width of two doors. I propose you remove the sliding doors. that gives you an opening that is the width of two doors. then I propose you extend the wall next to the closet to close that opening to the width of one door. this will add a front wall to your closet. install a door in the opening that is left. now that you have that front wall, you can turn the closet rod to run from front to back, on the side. you can also install upper shelves running from front to back, and one running along the back of the closet. you have the wall opposite the rod to install a few hooks. you can add cubbies, etc. underneath the rod.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:17 pm
I really would love to convert this closet into a mudroom, but I have a feeling that will be pretty expensive, won't it?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:42 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I really would love to convert this closet into a mudroom, but I have a feeling that will be pretty expensive, won't it?

get some free estimates and find out.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:43 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
BTW, closet is 27" from back wall to where the door frame begins.

Actually, that's standard depth for a coat closet. How wide is the closet inside? How wide is the door opening? Are the doors centered?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:49 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
ok, a sliding door means the entrance to the closet is the width of two doors. I propose you remove the sliding doors. that gives you an opening that is the width of two doors. then I propose you extend the wall next to the closet to close that opening to the width of one door. this will add a front wall to your closet. install a door in the opening that is left. now that you have that front wall, you can turn the closet rod to run from front to back, on the side. you can also install upper shelves running from front to back, and one running along the back of the closet. you have the wall opposite the rod to install a few hooks. you can add cubbies, etc. underneath the rod.

Extending a wall turns it from a DIY project to a professional project which is not in the budget right now Sad
I do like the idea of turning a closet rod to go the 27" deep vs the length of it....I really like this idea: http://www.ourfifthhouse.com/2......html and if the hanging stuff is behind the existing wall, it might not be so messy, I'm not sure.

Another thought that popped into my head is instead of having the 2 existing sliding doors, have one long one that slides into the wall. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but it will help give us enough access to the closet.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:53 pm
you can turn the rod without messing with the doors. suspend one from the ceiling:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.co.....64115

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:02 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Actually, that's standard depth for a coat closet. How wide is the closet inside? How wide is the door opening? Are the doors centered?

Yeah I just read that. I guess it's deep for what we're used to!

76.5 total width if I measured correctly, not centered at all. 22" until the beginning of the doorframe, doorframe is about 52".

I'm almost done hacking a way to post pictures. (Found a microsd adapter to use in the camera, and then a usb microsd adapter which didn't work, so found another which I think did!)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:25 pm
penguin wrote:
Do you own or rent? That makes a pretty big difference in terms of what is a worthwhile investment. But I would tend to agree with changing the doors to regular doors.

Own, or I wouldn't even think of doing anything drastic.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:32 pm
http://s1347.photobucket.com/u.....ryway

I can still use the excuse of having moved in last week to forgive the mess, so I'll take advantage of that while I can Wink

Not shown is the inside of the closet behind the wall, but I think this should be sufficient to see what the area I'm working with is.

Thank you all for your input so far!

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:32 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Yeah I just read that. I guess it's deep for what we're used to!

76.5 total width if I measured correctly, not centered at all. 22" until the beginning of the doorframe, doorframe is about 52".

I'm almost done hacking a way to post pictures. (Found a microsd adapter to use in the camera, and then a usb microsd adapter which didn't work, so found another which I think did!)

OK. Your 76" total width is much more frontage than you get hanging rods sideways (27" times 2 = 54").

How about cubbie type storage combined with a little rod hanging space along the closet back wall and put hooks on the entry wall beyond the closet? If you're ambitious you could completely open up the closet space the full width. You could put cabinet doors on some of the upper storage cubbies.

If you keep the opening as is, you can "L" the cubbies because the corner with the wall in front will be hard to access. You'll have to work around the mail slot. I'd tend to leave it open (no doors) for best kid access, But French doors, a curtain, or possibly some kind of cordless cellular shade are all possibilities here.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:40 pm
Do you think it's better to have the hooks on the wall next to the closet, or in the corner next to the window? For some reason, I feel like that corner could be its own little area and end up looking less messy than extending the entryway along the length of the wall in a completely open area....I may be wrong though.

penguin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:46 pm
B'mechilas kvod your husband, I don't see why you can't teach the kids to reach in and use hooks on the side of the closet. You'll need to train them to do it wherever the hooks are. A nice chart with a prize...

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 2:00 pm
Both spots are near the front door and to the closet cubbie area.

Let's go through the sequence:
1) Dump backpack/school stuff in cubbies.
2) Take off mittens, hat, coat, boots. A bench running along the cubbie closet would be helpful here.
3) Put mittens and hat on cubbie shelf or in bin.
3) Hang up coat.
Did I miss anything?

I'm inclined more to the closet wall, pulling the traffic pattern more into the house, but I haven't stood there, and you have. That little alcove might be a good place to park a stroller.

tovli toraspicha

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 2:04 pm
Based on the pics it would probably be more "neat" to have the hooks in the corner instead of "extending" the closet along the wall- but would you kids go to the corner to hang their stuff up? Also if you get a storage bench then maybe they can put their knapsacks in the bench and hang up their coats on the wall above it?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics