Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The Klinghoffer Opera at Lincoln Center- Where is everybody?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Clarissa

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 6:32 pm
Barbara wrote:
Ah, I just love it when people cannot respond substantively, and therefore resort to personal attacks on me. I guess your whole point here is that YOU get to say whatever you want, and if anyone DARE respond to you, then, well, they are trying to stop you from having your say.

If you think its productive for you to keep posting that you really don't have any idea what the opera is about, but how dare people protest against it, that's just pure evil, knock yourself out. But its not a very convincing point.
Personal attack on you? You must be joking. And who says I don't know what it's about? I know what it's about. And go ahead and protest if you think eight opera performances is the most pressing issue in the world. Do whatever makes you happy. Lots of people are aware of it thanks to these protests. It might mean that your efforts are backfiring but that's not my problem.

Here's what I know:

1) nobody in this thread or on Imamother has seen it.
2) the Met is an important part of NY culture and one opera won't change that. Within weeks it will be gone.
3) Peter Gelb is a decent guy who doesn't deserve all of the personal attacks but he'll be fine.
4) the Met may never stage it again. Who knows.
5) Adams will write other operas.
6) Jews will continue to say awful things to one another.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 6:46 pm
I just realized the amother who wrote those wacky things about me wearing red is the OP of the thread. Oy. The Internet is something.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:04 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Forgot to say that I've love anybody who's seen the opera to weigh in. Like I said, I don't know if it's anti-Semitic (as opposed to an opera about bad people doing bad things and saying the bad things they'd say) or not, and I'd love to hear from anybody who's seen it. I don't know anybody who has in real life.

OK, I wasn't going to comment till I read the whole thread but a few things:
- I will be fascinated to see if anyone here has seen it Wink
- I truly don't understand why so many of the amothers went amother
- to elaborate on my first post, I had such a negative impression of it, but couldn't tell you exactly what in the play was antisemitic, just that it was supposed to condone terrorism. I couldn't fathom why anyone would want to see this so could only assume that maybe by some chance it was overblown? Seemed remote but the only way I could figure you wanting to see it.
- It was first performed all those years ago? Really? Same script? How long did it go for? Any reason it stopped then?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics