Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you give your kids a brocha friday night?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 5:58 pm
I don't usually. DH gives EYK and when a child is going away. I was thinking only when they left to EY but could be when they started the zman away from home too. (Usually because I prod him... not sure if he would think of it).

Well this past EYK DS called and it was getting late and DH wasn't around, so I gave instead.

I am not sure why I am so shy about giving myself.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 7:07 pm
Dh's family only do on erev YK, if they remember, often not.

My father and mother both give all children every Friday night, or by phone on erev shabbos if not local, and grandchildren if they are visiting. They also give children in law if they are there for the meal, so my dh has had many many more brachot from both my mother and father than from his own parents. What

It is very sweet how all my tall brothers and bils bend over to my little mother as she hovers her hand over their hats. And remembering how we all used to line up in age order every Friday night, first in front of my father, then join the queue for my mother at the other end of the room.

mille

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:02 pm
We don't have kids yet, but I intend on doing this on friday nights one day!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:20 pm
DH's family didn't, so he doesn't want to. My father actually didn't, either, but he benched us every erev YK.

Interestingly enough, I am now married six years and living away from my parents. Whenever we come to town or my parents come to us, my father benches me and my kids (--he is the emotional type).

As a daughter, I love it. I feel loved and cared for.

I think I will start benching my kids after I bench licht.

heidi

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 12:57 am
I still get a brocha from my father when we are together for Shabbos. Recently my mother decided to start giving us brachos Friday night, (well after we were all married). I don't like it. I can't pinpoint why, but it just feels weird.
DH bentches all the children Friday night (or over the phone before Shabbos). I do it only if he's not in town for Shabbos. Erev YK I still get a brocha from my father, even if it's over the phone, and I tear up every single year.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics