Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Master List of Elementary Schools in Lakewood
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:36 pm
I cant believe how many schools Lakewood has! It's so dizzying. I remember when there were only 2 girl's schools for thte whole lakewood!!! (25 years ago).
nyway isnt there a Lakewood directory, wouldnt there be a listing of schools there?

jemappelle

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 12:20 am
well two schools- Meoros for girls and Even Yisroel for boys probably opened after the 2014 directory was printed lol!!

amother

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:07 am
can I ask about some girls' schools here, or does that have to be on a new thread? what distinguishes each from the others? dd will need a primary for next year and I did a lot of research, but didn't hear of some!

I wanted to know what crowd the following schools cater to:
(specifically where they fall on a 'fanciness', 'yeshivishness' and 'academics', and how accommodating they would be of a child with sensory issues)

Tiferes Bais Yaakov
Ohel Esther
Kesher Beis Yaakov
Chein Beis Yaakov
Meoros
Bnos Penina
Bnos Esther Malka
Shiras Chaim
Bnos Bina
Bnos Bracha
Bnos Devorah

thanks!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 10:53 am
Schools that just opened up will not have much of a reputation regarding academics. not much difference between primaries in the different schools - they are all teaching Kriah.

Also - don't take my opinion as definitive.

Tiferes Bais Yaakov - normal academics. neither way up nor low. considered a yeshivish school.
Ohel Esther - only has younger grades. don't know.
Kesher Beis Yaakov never heard of it
Chein Beis Yaakov only younger grades. yeshivish.
Meoros - too new for an opinion.
Bnos Penina - I've heard it's a very warm school, but the academics are not way up there.
Bnos Esther Malka - more trendy crowd, excellent Hanhallah. young grades, so I don't know about the academics. Considering that the principal came from Bnos Yaakov, the academics are likely to be very on par, maybe even high up there.
Shiras Chaim - super yeshivish crowd. don't know about academics, it's also fairly new.
Bnos Bina - chassidish. Chassidish-style academics, yiddish, etc...
Bnos Bracha - less yeshivish, and lower academics. Girls that transferred to BF required tutoring.
Bnos Devorah - yeshivish on the American style spectrum. normal academics.

debsey

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 11:22 am
Chayalle wrote:
Schools that just opened up will not have much of a reputation regarding academics. not much difference between primaries in the different schools - they are all teaching Kriah.

Also - don't take my opinion as definitive.

Tiferes Bais Yaakov - normal academics. neither way up nor low. considered a yeshivish school.
Ohel Esther - only has younger grades. don't know.
Kesher Beis Yaakov never heard of it
Chein Beis Yaakov only younger grades. yeshivish.
Meoros - too new for an opinion.
Bnos Penina - I've heard it's a very warm school, but the academics are not way up there.
Bnos Esther Malka - more trendy crowd, excellent Hanhallah. young grades, so I don't know about the academics. Considering that the principal came from Bnos Yaakov, the academics are likely to be very on par, maybe even high up there.
Shiras Chaim - super yeshivish crowd. don't know about academics, it's also fairly new.
Bnos Bina - chassidish. Chassidish-style academics, yiddish, etc...
Bnos Bracha - less yeshivish, and lower academics. Girls that transferred to BF required tutoring.
Bnos Devorah - yeshivish on the American style spectrum. normal academics.

From a family member who sends to Bnos Ester Malka- While Mrs. Schorr came from Bnos Yaakov, and cares about academics, with a very good curriculum, the plan is for lower pressure in terms of academics. I think she's going to be copying Mrs. Twerski's warmth and individual focus, but not necessarily all the rigor. My family member's kid is really young, though, so let's see what happens as the years go on.
I think the smartest thing Bnos Yaakov did is teach the girls Goldhar - they are so prepared for High school.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 11:49 am
What's goldhar?

My daughter goes to Bnos Yaakov.

debsey

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
What's goldhar?

My daughter goes to Bnos Yaakov.

Goldhar is a note taking method where they learn to organize information using these "spokes and wheels" graphic organizers. The Bnos Yakov girls are super prepped for high school because of it.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:38 pm
How do schools open so quickly? how do they find teachers, principals, a board, buildings, etc in such a rapid clip? it's mind boggling. I think in williamsburg a total of five schools have opened in the past 15 years. Then again, we're not growing at the same rate as Lakewood Very Happy

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:47 pm
MB I think when Chasidim with a work ethic do things they do it professionally
In Lakewood the schools like everything elsehere
Is done yeshivish
I don't mean that in a positive way

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 2:45 pm
debsey wrote:
Goldhar is a note taking method where they learn to organize information using these "spokes and wheels" graphic organizers. The Bnos Yakov girls are super prepped for high school because of it.

My hs DD told me about it. She's seen it in her Bnos Yaakov friends' notes and she says it's really cool. Smile

OTOH she says some girls get to hs burnt out from the pressure. So it's great that BEM plans to minimize that.

I have a close relative who sends to BEM and she is just thrilled with the school.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:27 am
We got a letter / application for a new yeshiva opening up next year - Talmud Torah D'Lakewood by someone Kalmanowitz
A Stern? Schechter? called us that he's opening a new yeshiva. He used to be in Kaminetz, and was looking for a yeshivish crowd.
(I have absolutely no idea how they new that we have a son that will be going to school next year. We aren't machers or connected people or know who these people are. I got the application from TT after I got an application from a different school, so maybe the schools gave the names of all their applicants? The phone call was before we had called around anywhere. Big Brother is watching)

My husband also saw signs in BMG that Stolin is opening a yeshiva, and something else that looked like a heimish crowd is also opening up.

That's 4 new yeshivos for next year! B"EZH all children will have a place next year in a yeshiva that is good for them and they will be matzliach! (Personally, I'm still confused as ever with wear to apply)

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:45 am
Chayalle wrote:

My daughter goes to BEM and we are thrilled. While there are a handful of "trendy" parents, my daughters class is actually super simple and more on the yeshivish spectrum. Overall you will find the same general mix here as in the other Lakewood litfish schools- mostly middle of the road in or were in kollel parents who are more simple, a handful of trendy and a handful of super yeshivish.
The principals and teachers are outstandingly warm, involved and wonderful.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter goes to BEM and we are thrilled. While there are a handful of "trendy" parents, my daughters class is actually super simple and more on the yeshivish spectrum. Overall you will find the same general mix here as in the other Lakewood litfish schools- mostly middle of the road in or were in kollel parents who are more simple, a handful of trendy and a handful of super yeshivish.
The principals and teachers are outstandingly warm, involved and wonderful.

I stand corrected re: BEM crowd. And concur regarding the Hanhalah.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
We got a letter / application for a new yeshiva opening up next year - Talmud Torah D'Lakewood by someone Kalmanowitz
A Stern? Schechter? called us that he's opening a new yeshiva. He used to be in Kaminetz, and was looking for a yeshivish crowd.
(I have absolutely no idea how they new that we have a son that will be going to school next year. We aren't machers or connected people or know who these people are. I got the application from TT after I got an application from a different school, so maybe the schools gave the names of all their applicants? The phone call was before we had called around anywhere. Big Brother is watching)

My husband also saw signs in BMG that Stolin is opening a yeshiva, and something else that looked like a heimish crowd is also opening up.

That's 4 new yeshivos for next year! B"EZH all children will have a place next year in a yeshiva that is good for them and they will be matzliach! (Personally, I'm still confused as ever with wear to apply)

Re: the bolded. Last year after my son had been accepted to a school BH I got a phone call from the Vaad asking about him. I had not contacted the Vaad and I have no clue how they knew I had a son entering school!

I'm glad new yeshivos are opening and I hope that all kids (girls and boys) who are entering school are able to go the schools that are best for them and their families.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:40 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Re: the bolded. Last year after my son had been accepted to a school BH I got a phone call from the Vaad asking about him. I had not contacted the Vaad and I have no clue how they knew I had a son entering school!

So who is keeping track of this? Curiouser and curiouser.
I'm not complaining and all that, and these new schools are obviously run by great mechanchim who can realize who is a really great little boy and proactively send him an application!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:48 pm
This thread has been so helpful. Can anyone clarify for me the names of the two schools for girls owned by Perlstein, as well as principal's names? I know one is Shiras Chaim. Also, I am trying to figure out the type of school in terms of how yeshivish and how academic. If anyone could answer, I would appreciate it!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
This thread has been so helpful. Can anyone clarify for me the names of the two schools for girls owned by Perlstein, as well as principal's names? I know one is Shiras Chaim. Also, I am trying to figure out the type of school in terms of how yeshivish and how academic. If anyone could answer, I would appreciate it!

Shiras Chaim and Moreshes. I believe the principal of SC is Mrs. Versicherter (sp?). Don't know about Moreshes. SC is considered more rw yeshivish, though I have heard Moreshes is not at all not-yeshivish, if that makes any sense.

All of this is just what I've heard and not definitive at all.

Last edited by Chayalle on Mon, Nov 17 2014, 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 2:44 pm
Quote:
I believe the principal of SC is Mrs. Fesicheter (sp?).
Versicherter

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 2:46 pm
Corrected.

ETA: wasn't life simpler when schools did not have to be classified as all-the-way yeshivish, in-between yeshivish, less-yeshivish, more-yeshivish, etc.....

Can you tell I'm a computer programmer? I'm working with programming support for funds that are Conservative, Moderately Conservative, Moderate, Moderately Aggressive, and Aggressive. With new classifications coming in....

oh for the simpler days.......

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 2:59 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Shiras Chaim and Moreshes. I believe the principal of SC is Mrs. Versicherter (sp?). Don't know about Moreshes. SC is considered more rw yeshivish, though I have heard Moreshes is not at all not-yeshivish, if that makes any sense.

All of this is just what I've heard and not definitive at all.

It is sad that I know EXACTLY what you mean and exactly which box they unwrap their students from! I love Lakewood. I love being frum. I uphold the values of yeshivishkeit.....but anyone ever worry that Lakewood is so big, it's getting REALLY, REALLY small??

debsey
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics