Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Kallah wearing white ...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:21 pm
Shell and tights, check. Matching.

Sarong around waist, to the floor, check.

Matching shawl around shoulders, held in place in the front with a brooch, check.

Hair pinned up.

Length of the same fabric as the sarong and shawl, bunched at the top and anchored very firmly in the hair with hairpins, and dragging behind her, length at least to the waist, check. If you double it a bit before anchoring it, with a shorter length on top of a longer one, the shorter one can serve as face veil for bedeken. Then, it is flung back over the head.

Comfortable sneakers, check

Go.

If hemming the cut fabric edges is boring, even with a sewing machine hemmer attachment, just get some fabric glue, and bend the edges under with that, perhaps on a table or an ironing board.

Get quite a few of these, perhaps:

http://www.onlinefabricstore.n.....n=pla

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:22 pm
asmileaday wrote:
The rebbishe wear light pink or light green or any tinge of coloring in the fabric - just not white. They hold that wearing white is chikas hagoy.

I still never saw that and I have been to rebbishe chasunas.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:25 pm
I know some lubavitchers who wear light pink or some other pastel color, because of chukas hagoy. But its more common to go for cream. (In fact, I did for that reason, although I may have chosen cream anyway since I like it)

In any case leave the choice up to your daughter.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
I still never saw that and I have been to rebbishe chasunas.

I have seen it.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:27 pm
Wearing white is not a halacha and not even a Jewish custom. In the Western world, I believe the custom was started by Queen Victoria, before whose time brides wore elaborate gowns of any color they pleased. White does tie in well to the idea that the wedding day is like a personal Yom Kippur for the couple, hence his white kittel. The colored sash thing has been around for at least a few years-But if your dd wants to wear a pleated skirt of purple with pink polka dots and a purple-and-pink dotted veil , more power to her.

Kitten

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:28 pm
Raisin wrote:
I know some lubavitchers who wear light pink or some other pastel color. But its more common to go for cream.

Cream is white, isn't it? I wore cream and I considered it a type of white, like it's not white but it is.

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:41 pm
greenfire wrote:
the dresses were nice & all that ... but what if she offends the groom by not being herself - Idea

The groom already loves her. Do his parents?

Honestly, I think that she should wear whatever it is that makes her feel special and beautiful. But if its going to cause major issues, compromise.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:41 pm
White satin for a bride is mentioned at the end of Emma by Jane Austen, at the turn of the eighteenth to the nineteenth century.

White was very, very in at that time for women; wearing white on an ordinary day is mentioned in Northanger Abbey by the same author.

Before that, Elizabeth I favored white sometimes, black and white a lot, with gold, but she wore lots of different things. And of course never got married.

Main thing is to look terrific. But in a long skirt with covered arms. And something done with the head, even if a few flowers in the hair.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:45 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
White satin for a bride is mentioned at the end of Emma by Jane Austen, at the turn of the eighteenth to the nineteenth century.

White was very, very in at that time for women; wearing white on an ordinary day is mentioned in Northanger Abbey by the same author.

Before that, Elizabeth I favored white sometimes, black and white a lot, with gold, but she wore lots of different things. And of course never got married.

Main thing is to look terrific. But in a long skirt with covered arms. And something done with the head, even if a few flowers in the hair.

I just wore the cheap sheitel that I had bought online, no veil, no flowers and no hairdresser.

zohar

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:12 pm
Check out what man repeller wore. traditional, with edge.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:28 pm
I know someone who bought a gown on Mormon website because she lives OOT and they have more modest styles. She asked me for advice and as I was looking at different gowns, I noticed the designs where more simple. Would a tznius version of a dress like this still be too girly? http://www.totallymodest.com/d.....title

spring13

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:28 pm
The gown doesn't have to be fluffy or elaborate at all. Israeli wedding dresses tend to be more streamlined than American ones.

I wore purple Converse sneakers at my wedding: I figured it was MY favorite color, why should everyone else get to wear it? Maybe something like that will help her feel more like herself.

Or she could wear something like this LOL

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:30 pm
My sister wore crocs at her wedding.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:32 pm
She could wear a white suit with a long skirt.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:34 pm
I went to a wedding where the kallah had a beautiful dark beige gown (it was almost taupe)...

The Super Rebbish Chassidishe Kallahs sometimes wear a color over the gown: pink or blues, but that's not what I think you're going for.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:56 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

In Austen's time, debutantes wore white, presumably to enhance the image of innocence and purity. Nice for seventeen-year-olds whose coloring could tolerate it, not so nice for more seasoned single women or women whose coloring made them look consumptive in white. Brides could but did not necessarily wear white, and in fact many may have preferred not to, as an elaborate white gown screamed "debutante" and a bride was about to become a married woman, permitted to wear colors. Once married, women could wear whatever color they chose, although screaming red would not have been considered quite respectable. We speak, of course, of evening wear among the upper classes. Pastels for daytime wear were perfectly acceptable for single young ladies. Lower socioeconomic groups had their own dress codes, perhaps equally rigid and certainly more restricted by economic realities. Obviously, wearing white is impractical for a woman who works, has to scrub her own laundry, and/or owns only a few dresses. As my dear mother used to tell me "White is for rich girls."

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 6:02 pm
Barbara wrote:
No, she doesn't have to wear a fluffy white dress.

But if its going to offend her future in-laws, I say that she should consider a short dress

http://www.davidsbridal.com//P.....10052

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Pr.....r-100

Or even a long one

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Pr.....r-100

through the ceremony, then change into whatever it is that makes her comfortable.

Great ideas

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 6:03 pm
spring13 wrote:
I wore purple Converse sneakers at my wedding: I figured it was MY favorite color, why should everyone else get to wear it? Maybe something like that will help her feel more like herself.

that's her plan ... only not purple Tongue Out

miami85

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 6:06 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
Very chassidish wear light pink or light blue. Wearing white as a bride is a fairly new "minhag" for both Jews and non Jews

Really? I thought the kallah wears white like the man wears a kittel and like we wear white on yom kippur to show that we are pure before Hashem because we are atoning for our sins?

I've known that "white" doesn't have to be pure white, many wedding dresses are shades of ivory, off white and even almost champagne.

Wedding gowns come in so many styles that I'm sure even a "tomboy" can find a style that will work for her.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:19 pm
Oh yes.

Austen's white wearer was glanced at as doing something very nice, but not universal, or it wouldn't have been mentioned at all.

It is indeed harder to wear spanking white when no longer all that young.

Cream is indeed easier after 25. It is a shade of white. There are a lot of shades of white besides spanking white. They are all white. Ecru, champagne, eggshell, ivory, all that.

The Mormon idea is interesting.

Light In the Box has Victorian morning dresses.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics