Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Business Idea - Make kids lunches?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:24 pm
As I'm sitting here exhausted casting longing glances at my pillow, I am thinking how nice would it be to have someone else make a nice healthy nutritious lunch for my kids, so I could wash my face and get enough sleep to face an 8 hour workday tomorrow.
Kind of like baking challah from your home and selling it?
Might not fly but I would be curious to hear if anyone thinks about trying it.

proudmother1

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:29 pm
Nice.

But would they make lunch according my nutrition standards?
And to my sons picky standards?

And how could it be worth it to them if I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it?

If these conditions aren't a must, you can pick up some ready-made sandwiches in the supermarket or bagel shop.

Sweet dreams.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:32 pm
Lol!
op here. Ok, I guess I better go make the lunches instead of surfing the net. But still, maybe someone will give it a go!

proudmother1

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:35 pm
While you're at it, can you make some for my son too?

But it must be chicken nuggets, and it must be warm. Not hot, not a little hot, not too cool. Just warm.

Thanks.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:36 pm
you'd run into the same food handling issues you have with baking challah from home--- how do you make it legal without a commercial kitchen with inspections etc. And doing it illegally is---- illegal. Then for the Jewish community you have the added kashrus issue---- you'd only sell to those who know you because those who don't know you aren't going to trust your kashrus unless you have a hecksher and getting a hecksher wouldn't be cost feasible with this type of a business.

I'm about to go spend 30 seconds to pack sliced apples, hummus, applesauce, granola bars, and bottled water for my kiddos--- ok maybe 2 minutes. Not worth hiring out for $$$ in my opinion. My kids don't need fancy salads for lunch-- they get salads at dinner.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 7:15 am
Many people cook from their home without a whole hoopla. I don't think it's so hard. But maybe some countries make it hard on people. I don't know. Kashrus wise you'd need a hechsher for some, others not if they would eat from your home. If my school stopped providing a hot meaty lunch I would happily buy from you.

animeme

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 7:50 am
TwinsMommy, I am jealous that you can make the exact same lunch for more than one child. And that all of said children will eat foods that require minimum prep from you. I bless you that this should continue. I make salads often for dd because most other things I send don't get eaten.

I can't see outsourcing mine either because there are a lot of moods involved, but I can totally see the draw.

Also, where do you get granola bars that don't have a "may contain nuts" label? I'm looking for some because my school doesn't allow that.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:04 am
One of my kids schools allows all nuts and the other just disallows peanuts. If a granola bar has crushed almonds its fine. Thank you for the Bracha. I am truly lucky that my kids aren't picky eaters. My biggest problem is that I can never pack bread since I don't trust them to wash and bentsch at public school.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:06 am
And yes... America has a lot of legal "hoopla". Smile

sky

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:15 am
Someone once had such a business in Lakewood. They delivered lunch to playgroup.
I think they even were able to apply as a vendor to the gov't so families who fall in the free lunch category got it for free (I think it said that in the advertisement) and they had a hechsher. I would think the delivery would be a bigger pain then anything else. (I haven't seen them advertise so I'm guessing it didn't work out).

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:41 am
I wouldn't want to steal op's idea without permission, especially if we live in the same area, so I am asking theoretically for now, would people seriously pay to have fresh, nutritious, hot lunches delivered to their children during the day?
I do have access to a legal commercial kitchen with a hechsher so I have 1 foot in the right direction.

flmommy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 1:32 pm
I would if it was $5 or less per meal

skymile

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 2:27 pm
what's wrong with dinner leftovers? that's what I usually have form myself. if I would have to pack a lunch that's what I would give. chicken, pasta, stir fry, etc... what's the big deal?

self-actualization

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:47 pm
My kids' schools offer hot lunch for $50 for the month - if there are 16 lunch days in a month then it's roughly $3 a day.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
As I'm sitting here exhausted casting longing glances at my pillow, I am thinking how nice would it be to have someone else make a nice healthy nutritious lunch for my kids, so I could wash my face and get enough sleep to face an 8 hour workday tomorrow.
Kind of like baking challah from your home and selling it?
Might not fly but I would be curious to hear if anyone thinks about trying it.
How old are your kids and how many lunches are you preparing?
Are they old enough for you to throw them a ziploc bag with 2 slices of bread, a mini store bought container of tuna with a store bought bag of sliced apples and/or an individual store bought bag of baby carrots?
http://www.rocklandkosher.com/......aspx
http://www.mottsfresh.com/appl.....s.asp
http://www.grimmway.com/carrot.....acks/

bnm

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:03 pm
my son's school doesn't allow fleishigs which is what 95 percent of his lunch was last year. I can't send supper leftovers anymore, he just started eating fish and dairy products, so he takes tuna 3/5 days and the other days I send a mish mosh of yogurt, hard boiled eggs, peanutbutter sandwich, sliced cheese, once sent a piece of potato kugel. he LOVES chicken nuggets so I just bought a pack of fish sticks and I hope he likes that too. snacks are ready bagged pretzles or chips, wafers etc, daughter's healthy snack is grapes in a ziplock bag.

skymile

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:36 am
bnm wrote:
my son's school doesn't allow fleishigs which is what 95 percent of his lunch was last year. I can't send supper leftovers anymore, he just started eating fish and dairy products, so he takes tuna 3/5 days and the other days I send a mish mosh of yogurt, hard boiled eggs, peanutbutter sandwich, sliced cheese, once sent a piece of potato kugel. he LOVES chicken nuggets so I just bought a pack of fish sticks and I hope he likes that too. snacks are ready bagged pretzles or chips, wafers etc, daughter's healthy snack is grapes in a ziplock bag.

last night I tried for the first time breaded cauliflower from B'gan. was SO good! tasted very similar to chicken nuggets.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:55 am
Amother I'm in Israel and I don't buy it, but there is someone who will deliver hot lunch to school kids. I think if you have access to a commercial kitchen and there are schools near you that don't provide lunch it's worthwhile to look into it. B'hatzlacha!

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 12:54 pm
that's rough when your school doesn't have lunches ...

I would think that having a full breakfast would make up for more simple lunches

like yogurt/granola/fruit
tuna sandwich
cold cuts
cold pizza
bagels & cream cheese

another thought is have your kids learn to make their own lunches ... the time teaching them will be a time saver for all - plus they won't be able to complain you gave them something they don't like

curlytop

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:05 pm
sky wrote:
Someone once had such a business in Lakewood. They delivered lunch to playgroup.
I think they even were able to apply as a vendor to the gov't so families who fall in the free lunch category got it for free (I think it said that in the advertisement) and they had a hechsher. I would think the delivery would be a bigger pain then anything else. (I haven't seen them advertise so I'm guessing it didn't work out).

Yea I remember that ad.
I guess it doesnt make as much money as they expected.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics