Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moved to chicago - where to buy everything?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 3:01 pm
I just moved here - west rogers park and don't know where to get everything - food and clothing
I need now for my 7 yr. old daughter
winter coat
boots
clothing

food
fruits and vegetables
chicken/meat

everything...
please let me know the best places to shop
thank you

(anon because people might know who I am)

amother

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 4:15 pm
There's a Nordstrom in old orchard mall (lots of other stores there as well, Bloomingdales, gap, j crew, etc) you can shop in jewel on Howard has kosher dept There's Hungarian kosher which is biggest only kosher store and kol tuv on Devon. Welcome to Chicago!

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 12:04 pm
How much are you willing to spend?

For your daughter's clothes, there's Lincolnwood Town Center within walking distance. It's a decent mall, nothing crazy expensive. Kohls and Carsons should definitely have a coat for her. If you want cheaper without going too far, there's a Marshalls near McCormick and (I think) Main, and there's a TJ Maxx near McCormick and Church.

For food there's Kol Tuv on Devon near Sacramento and Richmond, Kol Touhy on Touhy, the Jewel on Howard next door to Target, and there's Hungarian, but that's a little far if you're still new to the city and trying to get used to the neighborhoods.

Good luck!

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 7:13 pm
Please contact the Chicago Center (PM me if you need the number) for a welcome basket and an Acheinu Directory (guide to the city).

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 7:49 pm
dont want to spend to much
What are the malls around that has a bunch of kids shops?

cbsmommy

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:06 pm
Lincolnwood town center has your standard Old Navy, The Children's Place, Justice, Kohls, and Carsons. It's on Touhy and McCormick across from XSport Fitness and the giant construction zone that will hopefully soon be a Marianos.

The 290 Pace bus stops in the parking lot of Lincolnwood Town Center.

Food-wise - do you have a car? If yes, everything is fairly close. If not, decide what is closest/easiest for you.

Fresh Fruits/Veggies:
The two cheapest places with the biggest selection that I've priced out are Jerry's (Oakton and Milwaukee in Niles) and Fresh Farms (on Touhy across from Village Crossing in Niles). I just bought a huge bag of avocados at Jerry's for $2. Fresh farms also has a ridiculously nice selection of organic produce.

Otherwise, there is Ted's (free parking lot at the croation center) on Devon between Francisco and Mozart. I find that their quality is fantastic. Their prices vacillate between really good pricing and "eh".

CitiFresh - Devon and Kedzie, tiny parking lot on-site, otherwise at Great Chicago across the street. I tend to avoid going there because the aisles give me claustrophobia.

Lincolnwood Produce - Touhy and Lincoln. Large lot, large fruit and veggies selection. Their prices aren't always great, but they're usually not horrifyingly bad.

Fresh Farms - Devon and Rockwell. Smaller selection of produce. Parking = hit/miss. I tend to hit the Fresh Farms in Niles instead, but the prices aren't bad.

Kosher Meat:
Hungarian - Oakton and Crawford in Skokie. Fresh butcher. Prepared fresh foods available. Giant wine selection. Lots of cheese/dairy products.

Romanian: Touhy and Clark. Tell them you just moved to Chicago. Ask to taste all of their deli. Then buy yourself a full salami. Your taste buds will thank me afterwards.

On Touhy opposite Lowes (before Crawford) is a giant Walmart that is open 24/7 and has a decently large kosher meat/dairy section. No fresh butcher, but they are new and still attempting to compete with already existing stores.

On Howard and Kedzie is a large Jewel. They have a fresh bakery, sushi, deli, butcher, and fish. Don't go for the first time on a Thursday night unless you are prepared to run into all of the people that you didn't realize you'd already met.

Welcome to the Windy City!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:01 pm
Thanks for all that. Really great info
I checked out linclnwood shopping centre - very nice. lots of shops
will check out the other shops eventually

just looking to make something for supper
can you get frozen pie crusts here?

thanks

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:02 pm
You can get almost any kosher product here. I don't think you've indicated if you've got a car or not, but the kosher stores (Kol Tuv on Devon and Hungarian in Skokie) would have as would Jewel on Howard, and probably other places too.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:04 pm
yes I do have a car
thanks for that

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:

thanks

This reminded me of a great story:

I was in Kol Tuv last year during the visit from the Skverer Rebbe, sh"lita, and his chassidim. One of the chassidim was in the store, talking on his cell phone. He wafted back and forth between Yiddish and English, so I didn't catch all the nuances, but he was apparently on the phone with his wife. Some product that she had difficulty finding in the New Square area was available in abundance in Kol Tuv -- apparently in different varieties or flavors, some of which she didn't realize existed.

The husband apparently received his marching orders, and he started to stock up before returning home. The last bit of the conversation was in English, as the man remarked, "Maybe now we know to come to Chicago to shop!"

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:24 pm
amother wrote:

thanks

Yes.
You can buy the standard dairy pillsbury crusts or the usual pareve kosher brands.
You can even get dairy free, soy free, gluten free pie crusts here.
(Whole Foods, Jewel, Kol Tuv, and Hungarian all carry those in case anyone needed gluten free information).
But snarkiness aside, every kosher serving store (with the exception of walmart) has at least 1 type of kosher frozen pie crust.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:53 am
Where can I buy not expensive girls tznius skirts?
Thanks

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:16 am
For littte girls or big girls; what ages/sizes?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:29 am
My daughter is 7 - size 7-8

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:04 am
If you are particular to have her knees covered, then your best bet is 13th Avenue Collection (store in someone's basement). If you need their contact info, let me know. If you don't care about the knees, then the non-Jewish stores like Children's Place, Gap, etc. should do.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:26 am
OOTBubby wrote:
If you are particular to have her knees covered, then your best bet is 13th Avenue Collection (store in someone's basement). If you need their contact info, let me know. If you don't care about the knees, then the non-Jewish stores like Children's Place, Gap, etc. should do.

Yes I do care about her knees being covered. Could you please give me her contsct info.what are the prices like?

Thank you

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:
Yes I do care about her knees being covered. Could you please give me her contsct info.what are the prices like?

Thank you

Please PM me for the info (I can't PM you since your anon) -- since it's in a private home I'd prefer not to post it publicly.

I don't know the prices -- I am actually long out of shopping for that age, but my DD who has a daughter that age says the prices are reasonable. I'm sure you can call and ask about the price range.

BTW, I mentioned before, and I don't know if you've done it, but you should contact the Chicago Center for a welcome basked and a copy of the Acheinu Directory which contains listings of most of the businesses (including this one) that you'll need.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:10 pm
Google has yielded this:
http://www.jewishinchicago.com......html

There's a name to call.

At the lower left of that screen are some links to food and shops.

http://www.jewishinchicago.com.....s.php

You might find this newsletter useful:

http://www.jewishinchicago.com/newsletter.php

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:12 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Google has yielded this:
http://www.jewishinchicago.com......html

There's a name to call.

Yes, that is the contact for the Acheinu Directory; I would have no problem providing that. I just didn't want to post the number of the store in a person's home here.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:14 pm
Oh yes, of course. I wasn't thinking about that. It's just someone she can call in general.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating