Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moved to chicago - where to buy everything?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:24 pm
OP, I moved to Chicago about a year ago. People told me to get the Acheinu... but I never ended up getting one because there were so many more important things on my mind than getting a phone book.

After a few months, a welcoming package was sent to us anyway, and I can't tell you how amazing a help it is!!

But I do understand if you don't end up picking one up right away. If that's the case, and you have a smart phone, you can download an app called SMART LIST and then there is a white pages and yellow pages directory specific to the Jewish Chicago community right there. It's pretty user-friendly, and you can find most things you need there too.

Good luck! And welcome to the snow... It'll end about August sometime Wink

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
OP, I moved to Chicago about a year ago. People told me to get the Acheinu... but I never ended up getting one because there were so many more important things on my mind than getting a phone book.

After a few months, a welcoming package was sent to us anyway, and I can't tell you how amazing a help it is!!

But I do understand if you don't end up picking one up right away. If that's the case, and you have a smart phone, you can download an app called SMART LIST and then there is a white pages and yellow pages directory specific to the Jewish Chicago community right there. It's pretty user-friendly, and you can find most things you need there too.

Good luck! And welcome to the snow... It'll end about August sometime Wink

Yes, Smart List contains much of the Acheinu; all of the white pages, but only some of the yellow pages (larger ads only).

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:29 pm
Chicagoans: is there a food delivery website that serves Chicago?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:31 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Chicagoans: is there a food delivery website that serves Chicago?

Peapod does and most of the local stores deliver. I'm sure there are other websites too, I'm just not up on that. Pretty much anything serving major cities would be here.

kb

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:32 pm
And Kol Tuv offers free delivery.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:36 pm
A bunch of friends have been talking about instacart lately.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:50 pm
I am feeling concern for the Chicago mother who needs skirts fast for her daughter, and wants a modest skirt length. I am sure she will be fine but I am thinking.

There must be a mail-order source for a simple girl's skirt in a longer length in one style, one fabric, all colors. There just must.

Aimed straight at the Orthodox Jews of all stripes. There are enough of them. They have a lot of children. There just must.

It could become famous in all communities as Our Skirt. It can even be called whatever the Hebrew is for "Our Skirt" or "Our Garment".

Maybe a tough minded, close-knit, gang of a few sisters, with access to local skilled sewers, could have them made locally, then having UPS or USPS come to their house, to pick up the packages. It would be hard work, but it would be a living.

KISS: keep it simple. One simple style, only. One washable fabric. Lots of colors. Lots of sizes. Unusual sizes, very tall, very thin, that kind of thing.

Elastic waist for the young, wrap tie for the older, no zippers, no pockets.

The sisters could contract it with a local manufacturer as their line. He could get the fabric in, and the pieces made. Shipping and marketing could be handled by the sisters.

This might hurt the Jewish stores, perhaps. Or the skirt could be sold through them.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

kb

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:52 pm
http://www.junees.com/junee-jr.html

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:57 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I am feeling concern for the Chicago mother who needs skirts fast for her daughter, and wants a modest skirt length. I am sure she will be fine but I am thinking.

There must be a mail-order source for a simple girl's skirt in a longer length in one style, one fabric, all colors. There just must.

Aimed straight at the Orthodox Jews of all stripes. There are enough of them. They have a lot of children. There just must.

It could become famous in all communities as Our Skirt. It can even be called whatever the Hebrew is for "Our Skirt" or "Our Garment".

Maybe a tough minded, close-knit, gang of a few sisters, with access to local skilled sewers, could have them made locally, then having UPS or USPS come to their house, to pick up the packages. It would be hard work, but it would be a living.

I have the impression there are a lot of skilled sewers in the American South but they are probably all over the place if you look.

It could be run out of one of the big Western States, too. Really, anywhere it is easy to get mail service.

KISS: keep it simple. One simple style, only. One washable fabric. Lots of colors. Lots of sizes. Unusual sizes, very tall, very thin, that kind of thing.

Elastic waist for the young, wrap tie for the older, no zippers, no pockets.

The sisters could contract it with a local manufacturer as their line. He could get the fabric in, and the pieces made. Shipping and marketing could be handled by the sisters.

This might hurt the Jewish stores, perhaps. Or the skirt could be sold through them.

Not being in a big city you may have missed the point. These girls do not want all one style. They wear uniform skirts or jumpers for school. These are for weekends, after school, Shabbos and they do not want to all be wearing the same thing.

busydev

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:03 pm
itz you on devon also has childrens clothing. its not by appt I think its open till 6 on weekdays- located next door to kol tuv.

I also want to second (third, fourth fifth) getting an acheinu and welcome packet. it has info about everything. whenever anyone asks me for chicago info I always look there.... and ive lived here all my life.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:05 pm
[quote="busydev"]itz you on devon also has childrens clothing. its not by appt I think its open till 6 on weekdays- located next door to kol tuv.

I also want to second (third, fourth fifth) getting an acheinu and welcome packet. it has info about everything. whenever anyone asks me for chicago info I always look there.... and ive lived here all my life.[/quote

I was told (again, no first hand knowledge) that the girl's skirts at 13th Avenue Collection are cheaper than those at Itz You, but it certainly doesn't hurt to check it out there.

busydev

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:12 pm
theres cheaper and theres not expensive. I wouldnt call Itz you an expensive store (as a rule) but yes 13th ave is likely at least a little cheaper. both places are most likely more then the same thing in a NY store generally.

(then again I havent personally bought little girls clothing recently and when I was involved 13 ave wasnt around yet)

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:30 pm
A skirt is a skirt. Especially on a little girl.

If there are a million colors and prints, they will accept it in one style.

If they also come in fleece, they will be warm. And fleece feels good, it is fuzzy- wuzzy, comforting.

If some have big hem ruffles and some don't, that will be enough variety.

I don't think pleats, buckles or pockets are important to little girls. Or anybody else.

Black fleece with a large hem ruffle, hmm. Sassy and warm. Hmm.

Fleece isn't hard to sew, either.

I don't hate zippers, but I don't know how to put them in, so I am for elastic and ties.

Variety is in hair-bows and tops.

kb

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:41 pm
Dolly, if everyone has the same skirt, you'll see the same post... New in Chicago. Where can I find a variety of appropriate bows for my daughter??!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:51 pm
Fine.

Start with one. Progress to more variety after you have got it going.

A basic modest skirt, in a lot of colors, easily available to any Jew anywhere, would be a good start.

There is too much of time and energy spent on trying to find a decent skirt to put on our girls. It's not like we have nothing else to do.

And lots of Jews live where there aren't lots of children's clothing stores.

There are Jews who don't have cars. Getting to a mall isn't all that easy for them.

And lots of busy mothers haven't got time to go to stores for something as simple as an uncomplicated skirt.

I have nothing against Lands End, or people like that, LL Bean, whoever, having their skirts come in Regular Length and, even for two dollars more, in Longer Length.

But they don't. It hasn't occurred to them. They don't get us.

It seems as if we are horribly under-served in this one little area, and it's a niche someone could profitably, and very usefully, fill.

I have nothing against existing skirts except their length. But that's an important part of our culture.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:55 pm
Dolly, there are many online retailers selling appropriate skirts, both Jewish owned and otherwise. People who are used to shopping in brick and mortars and no longer have that option (not op anyway, since this is not an issue in Chicago) can easily find them online, this isn't hidden info.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:58 pm
Ah. I missed your point about hair bows.

That's easy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1.....T0AeA

Or this:

http://www.theribbonretreat.com/

These flowers glue to your clip and cost fifty cents:

http://www.theribbonretreat.co......aspx

So we can wear a simple skirt.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:25 pm
mha3484 wrote:
A bunch of friends have been talking about instacart lately.

I have never used it but this is Instacart. It does cover Chicago.

https://www.google.com/#q=instacart

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:56 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Dolly, there are many online retailers selling appropriate skirts, both Jewish owned and otherwise. People who are used to shopping in brick and mortars and no longer have that option (not op anyway, since this is not an issue in Chicago) can easily find them online, this isn't hidden info.

Interesting. Can you mention any names?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:05 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Interesting. Can you mention any names?

Junee jr
Double header
Kosher casual

Those are Jewish owned sites. Anyone who shops for kids online knows all the standard non Jewish owned sites.

I don't have any girls that age so I'm honestly not that familiar with all the options, but those alone have many to choose from.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating