Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Babies with chronic cough
Previous  1  2

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 7:24 am
What works for us is cutting up a fresh onion every day and placing it near the bed/in room. It doesn't hurt to try.
Refuah shaleima

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 7:33 am
Laughing Bag! wrote:
What works for us is cutting up a fresh onion every day and placing it near the bed/in room. It doesn't hurt to try.
Refuah shaleima

As an homeopathic remedy... or superstition (lol)?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 7:45 am
Laughing Bag! wrote:
Refuah shaleima

Google supports you!

Quote:
Onions

Many people start to cry the minute they begin chopping up an onion. The strong vapor an onion emits when cut could help stop coughing, says Russell. Before you go to bed, cut an onion into quarters and leave it on a plate at your bedside. Although using onions may sound like nothing more than an old wives' tale, Russell says it's quite popular in Spain and France, adding that this home remedy for cough is safe for children and babies.

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 7:45 am
Whichever u want lol. all u need is to have it there and breath in the same room.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 7:51 am
I heard about the onion thing ....personally tried it once with a very sick child and it didn't help. The person who told me about it said that it's brought down in a gemara that bad germs are attracted to an onion. So we hope that the bad germs causing sickness will all go on the onion. My friend said it works for her kids ...who knows??? Can't hurt to try!

About the congestion and coughing .... I had this with one of my children. It started at a few weeks old when I noticed a very strange type of cough (deep). The dr. confirmed that the lungs were not clear and explained that some babies get bronchiolitis and it can take weeks to clear up. There was no anti biotic prescribed. I was given a nebulizer with albuetrol to open the airways. I did not notice that hyperactivity was a side effect.
After weeks of the newborn coughing and being unhappy one dr suggested that perhaps there is a milk allergy or milk sensitivity and this is causing congestion. My baby was on dairy formula. I did not believe this was the cause since we were using a special formula for sensitive stomachs with enzymes broken down. I still went out and bought a can of soy formula and much to my surprise, within a few days my baby cleared up! Even though I am against giving a baby soy I kept this child on soy formula for over a yr. In our case, this made a difference in the congestion and the coughing/wheezing. Suddenly the cough went away, the baby's mood changed and he filled out and developed so nicely. Up until that point, he was rather scrawny looking and not a happy baby.

I want to say that I am impressed and in awe of you that you took in twins. Hashem should pay you back for the great chessed you are doing!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:13 am
OP here. Amother, I'm with you on the formula. They came on Step 1 Materna, which has lactose as a first ingredient, and since they were sick, I just went straight to the soy. Like I said, they're not getting worse, so maybe it helped.

Oh, and one twin is already sleeping with an onion! Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics