Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Are you for or against this "Normal Barbie"?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:00 am
I don't go for the pimples, tatoos, etc... at all.

I grew up with Barbie - I had tons and my sister and I would set up Barbie "houses" on our front steps, each step being a different "room". Or store - aahh! the memories! We had tons of shoes for the shoe store, and clothes for the clothing store.....

I don't think I ever thought of Barbie as in image. She was just a doll with tons of fun accessories to play with and keep busy.

In my yeshivish community, Barbie herself is taboo and my kids don't have Barbie. Personally, I think it's much ado about not much. But fine, so my DD plays with the target version of American Girl dolls instead. It takes up way more space.

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:00 am
I love that the body shape is normal.

The stretch marks are weird.

Do they make multi-cultural barbies?

I had a kelly sized barbie when I was a kid that had a little wheelchair, and I loved her.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:44 am
chani8 wrote:

Do they make multi-cultural barbies?

Yes, they do. Please see my previous post. They had a series of "around the world" Barbies which are fantastic [and sold out].

Lady Godiva wrote:
I take my children to the beach and they've never asked me about anybody's stretch marks. Maybe they're just not looking. Maybe they don't expect everybody's body to look the same. Or maybe they know not to talk about other people's scars or flaws. What

There is nothing wrong with asking about another person's physical, intellectual, or social differences. Children may ask why someone stutters or why a person looks a certain way. It's important that children understand physical differences because it helps them better understand others socially and offers them more insight to other people. Some people develop that naturally as they age, some people never do, and others question it when they are younger. It reflects poorly on neither the parents nor the child if a child is curious as to why a person has a burn, scar, stretch mark, tattoo, or even awfully beautiful eyes. I have green eyes with a noticeable brown spot inside of one. Kids [and adults as a matter of a fact] ask me about it all the time. I tell them that it's a type of Heterochromia, have them practice saying the word, and explain to them a little bit about pigment. There is nothing wrong with that. It may actually encourage some children intellectually to ask questions about their surroundings, and encourage them to pursue different opportunities in life. Again, there is nothing wrong with not asking, but it is not "better" not to ask. It's best to just accept everyone for who they are with all of everyone's perfections and imperfections.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 12:03 pm
you know that video on the bottom is staged - no way can all the kids say the same thing

I find it just as distasteful as the anorexic perfect barbie - we don't need stretch marks and pimples to feel 'normal'

why can't kids just be left as innocent kids

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 12:24 pm
greenfire wrote:
you know that video on the bottom is staged - no way can all the kids say the same thing

I find it just as distasteful as the anorexic perfect barbie - we don't need stretch marks and pimples to feel 'normal'

why can't kids just be left as innocent kids

Not necessarily staged, they probably just spoke about the doll before and how she is different. They then asked questions like: What do you think of her hair? Does she look like anyone you know? Etc.....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:57 pm
The blemishes don't weird me out, but the sticker part does -- I mean you can see it's a sticker which is just....weird to me.

I am not worried that my girls will think they are supposed to look like dolls, no matter if it's Barbie, American Girl, or Cabbage Patch :/

I don't like Barbie in general because of the look she seems to give out, but on the other hand my girls do have a few polly pockets they dress up for shabbos/use as a vet, etc (we don't do bathing suit ones), so I guess I'm inconsistent.

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 2:05 pm
Barbies are dolls to play with. I am not sure why little girls can't differentiate between dolls and real life. Why do they need to play with ugly dolls. They see lots of ugly people in real life. Playing is fantasy time.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:01 pm
I like the original barbie.

this new one is too contrived.

maybe the proportions are better but I would leave all the stickers and stuff off. its just plain weird.

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:49 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/this-normal-barbie-comes-with-cellulite-stretch-marks-acne-a?bffb

Seriously?

I think he ripped off the design of the Barbie doll. Look at the facial features.

I think that if he wants to be "realistic," he should kill the thigh gap.

The stickers are weird. The stretch mark stickers are really really weird. Is she Teen Mom Lamilly?

There's a real reason why Barbie's waist was so small. Its because of the thickness of the fabric for waistbands. When you add that thickness, Barbie has a more normal waist proportion.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:52 pm
Barbara wrote:
Seriously?

I think he ripped off the design of the Barbie doll. Look at the facial features.

I think that if he wants to be "realistic," he should kill the thigh gap.

The stickers are weird. The stretch mark stickers are really really weird. Is she Teen Mom Lamilly?

There's a real reason why Barbie's waist was so small. Its because of the thickness of the fabric for waistbands. When you add that thickness, Barbie has a more normal waist proportion.

I was waiting for YOU to reply Smile

luppamom

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:26 pm
Obviously they are trying to change the "image" that society worships as Barbie does not and cannot exist in real life. But, I think they lost it on kids who are just having fun dressing Barbie and not thinking so much about this type of thing. They should spend their energies instead on Hollywood. Let them have "real Barbie" movie stars that have stetchmarks, pimples etc. that will make much more of a statement and might actually produce less negative self-image problems.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:52 pm
greenfire wrote:
she's not too bad as barbies go ...

but pretty soon they're going to start making bi-polar barbie, adhd barbie, tatoo barbie, suicide barbie along with track marks and red eyes ...

this is so far my favorite barbie

YOU ROCK GREENIE

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 8:17 pm
While I think the stickers of stretch marks and so forth are unnecessary for little girls (or boys) playing with dolls, this is kind of a neat concept.

I grew up playing with Barbies, and they were just dolls to play with. It was never a political thing. I didn't keep them, and I don't buy them for my daughter. She plays with baby type of dolls.

The idea of Lamily is interesting. As long as she would have some sort of modest outfit, in theory, I wouldn't object to my daughter playing with it.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
YOU ROCK GREENIE

thanx

however I cannot take credit ... I don't own barbies Wink

someone once posted this a long time ago and I just recall liking it & searched the mighty google

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:03 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I grew up with Barbie - I had tons and my sister and I would set up Barbie "houses" on our front steps, each step being a different "room". Or store - aahh! the memories! We had tons of shoes for the shoe store, and clothes for the clothing store.....

I don't think I ever thought of Barbie as in image. She was just a doll with tons of fun accessories to play with and keep busy.

In my yeshivish community, Barbie herself is taboo and my kids don't have Barbie. Personally, I think it's much ado about not much. But fine, so my DD plays with the target version of American Girl dolls instead. It takes up way more space.

Why is Barbie taboo? Are yeshivish girls allowed to have grown up dolls, or is it not ok like pictures of women in magazines?

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:39 pm
I like "normal barbie". It seems more human and less plastic. Hope it's successful.

sheifelah

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:40 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Exactly. My sister and I played Barbies so much growing up. Our favorite pastime. We had a lot of Barbie dolls and sometimes we would continue the same "game" for a week straight. Neither of us had any insecurities because of Barbie's "unrealistic" characteristics. I think it's really weird - to put it nicely, that they're making a Barbie that's plump, has pimples, and cellulite. That's not what Barbie is. She is a doll - Not a person - and who cares that she has unreal proportions ? Make a new doll, fine - but don't call her Barbie. ...

rachel91

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 4:43 am
Sorry, but this 'real' barbie is creepy.
I grew up with barbie as well, I never even gave second thoughts about her figure, but I wouldn't wanna play with an ugly barbie with tattoos, or stretch marks shock .

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:22 am
m in Israel wrote:
Just to be clear -- the doll itself doesn't come with the acne, stretch marks, etc. The main point of the doll is the body proportions are normal (hight compared to waist and hips, etc.), and her features are supposed to look "normal". The acne, etc. are stickers you can buy separately if you want to add them to your doll.

This. If my daughter were really into playing with Barbie-type dolls (she is not), I would be more enthusiastic about buying her one with normal proportions than one with a size 2 body, size 34 DD cups, wearing the equivalent of 6" heels on her size 3 feet, etc.

And I do think that this can cause negative body image issues.

It seems the stickers are just a statement to further point out how Barbie dolls diverge from real women's bodies. I don't think too many little girls will want to give Barbie acne or genital warts or stretch marks. Dolls can be a little idealized without being gross.

cityofgold

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:56 am
Those stickers are weird, weird, weird.
I would prefer dolls that look like...little girls. Not adults, whether or not they have normal proportions.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics