Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
The "I'm so absentminded, I..." thread
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:17 am
My 2 typical stories that happen all the time...
1. Rush to do laundry and come back after work and realize I never turned on the machine!
2. Making supper and wondering why the food doesnt smell good... But I never turned on the oven!

When ds was abt 2 I was making some food on the electric grill and I put the food on the grill and went to do other stuff, ds started yelling "plug in"! Oops.

Just remembered from yes ago, was in a pizza shop and music was playing and I totally lost myself and started humming and singing along, and the bochur in front of me turned around and gave me this strange look, oops! I was a high school girl and mortified when I realized I was actually letting sound out of my mouth.

workaholicmama

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:49 am
Few stories come to mind😃
Wanted to be a good mama and made double batch of cookie dough, after rolling, shaping, etc 8 cookie pans I taste the first baked cookie only to realized that didn't put any sugar.
Grabbed a cup of (boiling😞) water before candle lighting, had burned tongue over shabbos.. ..
Left challa dough to rise and chulent on flame when went to office on Friday for "just one hour" came home 3 hrs later to challa dough on floor, chulent all over stove....
Forgot to call mil in Israel to wish good shabbos, she called me when was abt to light to hear my voice first time this week....

June

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 4:05 am
this is a classic: from the start of Shemittah, DH and I agreed to be machmir that nochri produce (produce grown in EY by non-Jews) has kedushah. so it's hard enough for my absent-minded brain to remember to check the labels while shopping: chu"l or shishit (which aren't a problem at all) and nochri (which some hold have kedushah and most hold not).

I bought a bag of carrots and decided to make carrot cake. halfway through grating my carrots, I remembered that they were nochri, and I would have a heck of a job cleaning my food processor from all the little bits of kedushah carrots that can't go in the regular trash. then when the cake was actually done, I neurotically kept reminding DH not to drop even a crumb (because once shemittah produce is cooked/baked, everything it's cooked with also takes on kedushah status)

after the cake was eaten (to the last crumb!) and the food processor finally cleaned (it took a couple of hours!) I went shopping again, and needed to buy more carrots.... and what did the sign say? Shishit! embarrassed

champion

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 6:38 am
took the cordless mouse from my computer home with me at the ed of a very long work day

rowo

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 8:36 am
I know I bought a carton of eggs but I seriously can't find them ...
It was quite annoying when I wanted eggs for lunch Sad

yalimommy

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 8:51 am
Chopped up 2 onions and a pepper for a stir-fry, and instead of putting them into the hot oil in the prepared wok, I scraped them straight into the garbage.
Put a bag of carrots in the washing machine instead of in the fridge.
(Mind you, I WAS 9 months pregnant at the time, but still...)
I definitely will have more to add to this thread.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:16 am
On Friday I opened the trunk of my car and almost hit my head in it.
Today it was opening and I almost walked into it.
Last night I closed it and forgot to move so it almost closed in my head.
We just moved and don't have a combination to our new house yet, but we have one for the old house. I went to the old house for something and started looking for the key to open the door....

Butterfly

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:30 am
eema of 3 wrote:
On Friday I opened the trunk of my car and almost hit my head in it.
Today it was opening and I almost walked into it.
Last night I closed it and forgot to move so it almost closed in my head.
We just moved and don't have a combination to our new house yet, but we have one for the old house. I went to the old house for something and started looking for the key to open the door....

I suggest you wear a helmet until things get settled with the moving and all.... Wink

Good luck in your new apartment! Smile

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:54 am
When dd was teething, before her first tooth came in, she was very sick for two weeks straight. Sick as I'm, high fever, congested sinus and lungs, bad virus (according to cbc).... would ONLY sleep ON me in a specific position.... oh and she was extremely low in iron. Poor baby

At one point I was just in a daze.

These are two of the MANY things I did in ONE shopping trip to do some errands.

Walked into a pharmacy to ask for a breast pump. Try to imagine this. Line if at least a few men, lady in the back asks loudly, do you carry breast pumps? embarrassed embarrassed
Amd it took me all the way home to figure out WHY evryone was looking down and blushing. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Vitamin store after being told that they ONLY carry vitamins, nothing else and I can try to pharmacy next door. Me in a whiny voice, but I was already there and they dont haven are you sure you don't carry that?

Walking into a store, go thru all the aisles, try to remember WHAT did I want.... oh well. Aha moment I need _____. Go back in. NOW WHAT DID I NEED?

walk a few blocks in the wrong direction and wonder why I'm not getting to the street I live on....

Over tired lady, takes the city bus. I know I need to get off in three stops. Relaxes w closed eyes (I was THAT desperate irresponsible) three stops later I was more than a mile away... I took the SELECT bus.

Ask the guy if he can break up my $100 in 10 singles.

There were more....
I told my husband we are NOT having more children. And here I am pregnant amd MORE absentminded than ever.... I just hope I'll have it easier this time....

acemom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 11:07 am
Tzutzie wrote:
When dd was teething, before her first tooth came in, she was very sick for two weeks straight. Sick as I'm, high fever, congested sinus and lungs, bad virus (according to cbc).... would ONLY sleep ON me in a specific position.... oh and she was extremely low in iron. Poor baby

At one point I was just in a daze.

These are two of the MANY things I did in ONE shopping trip to do some errands.

Walked into a pharmacy to ask for a breast pump. Try to imagine this. Line if at least a few men, lady in the back asks loudly, do you carry breast pumps? embarrassed embarrassed
Amd it took me all the way home to figure out WHY evryone was looking down and blushing. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Vitamin store after being told that they ONLY carry vitamins, nothing else and I can try to pharmacy next door. Me in a whiny voice, but I was already there and they dont haven are you sure you don't carry that?

Walking into a store, go thru all the aisles, try to remember WHAT did I want.... oh well. Aha moment I need _____. Go back in. NOW WHAT DID I NEED?

walk a few blocks in the wrong direction and wonder why I'm not getting to the street I live on....

Over tired lady, takes the city bus. I know I need to get off in three stops. Relaxes w closed eyes (I was THAT desperate irresponsible) three stops later I was more than a mile away... I took the SELECT bus.

Ask the guy if he can break up my $100 in 10 singles.

There were more....
I told my husband we are NOT having more children. And here I am pregnant amd MORE absentminded than ever.... I just hope I'll have it easier this time....

You made me laugh out loud!

(Your location is close to mine-Hey neighbor!)

happy chick

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 11:31 am
after a loong day of work, kids, etc, it was finally bathtime. after undressing 2 yo ds, I put his pants in the garbage and his (very stinky) diaper in the hamper Puke

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 11:43 am
Yeah well I think that's just silly for everyone to blush about breast pumps. They're a fact of life. Grow up and deal with it. You weren't asking for lingerie. You weren't offering a demonstration. Goodness. You did nothing wrong here.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 11:52 am
seeker wrote:
Yeah well I think that's just silly for everyone to blush about breast pumps. They're a fact of life. Grow up and deal with it. You weren't asking for lingerie. You weren't offering a demonstration. Goodness. You did nothing wrong here.

Lingerie is a fact of life, too... Just saying.

I totally get why she would be embarrassed in retrospect.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:09 pm
Just to clarify, I meant that the men should grow up and deal with it. Not Tzutzie, who clearly was already an adult dealing with her needs. Also I assume that she made her request in a normal manner and it was just the fact that the pharmacist went yelling about it that made everyone sheepish, so it really wasn't her absentmindedness here.

Breast pumps and lingerie are not AT ALL in the same category of life necessities. If they aren't in separate levels of blushworthiness, then they should be. One is a device for feeding babies. One is, well, for something else.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:17 pm
seeker wrote:
Just to clarify, I meant that the men should grow up and deal with it. Not Tzutzie, who clearly was already an adult dealing with her needs. Also I assume that she made her request in a normal manner and it was just the fact that the pharmacist went yelling about it that made everyone sheepish, so it really wasn't her absentmindedness here.

Breast pumps and lingerie are not AT ALL in the same category of life necessities. If they aren't in separate levels of blushworthiness, then they should be. One is a device for feeding babies. One is, well, for something else.

Seeker, you have a point. In a normal situation, an adult woman asking for a breast pump is nothing odd.
I was at the end of the line and I was talking loudly. Asking for ANYTHING in that matter is odd and not polite. Asking like that for a breastpump, well, I think that's blush worthy....
And did I mention, that when I was told to look in the last isle, I got there wondering WHAT did I need? I think I ended up buying some nappy bags or something....

Eta, I reread my post. I wasn't clear. "I" was the lady in the back of the line... embarrassed

Butterfly

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:22 pm
Tzutzie wrote:

There were more....

Of course ur pregnant, silly. You thought you took the prescribed birth controll pills, when instead you mistakenly took the benadryl tablets... Gosherino!!

Beingreal

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:39 pm
How about the time I came to school wearing two different shoes or putting on the wrong size diaper on my kids?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:42 pm
Beingreal wrote:
How about the time I came to school wearing two different shoes or putting on the wrong size diaper on my kids?

Oh the diaper thing? Having more than one child in diapers comes with automatic membership in this club...

Size 6 for a 6 month old? The size 2 for the 2 yr old? Totally. Btdt.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:48 pm
Beingreal wrote:

Oh dear! That was one.of my nightmares. I was sooo glad when I woke up that I was in bed. I would see myself in a nightshirt in school too. Just awful.
But bh I have never done that.

DH once went to cheder with a shluf kappel (if u know what that is Tongue Out ) a boy noticed it when he took his hat off. He ran back home to change and still got back before class. LOL

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 3:30 pm
Last pregnancy I turned onto a roundabout in the wrong direction!

I think that was my best yet, but this pregnancy I have forgotten everything and anything...
One OB appointment I showed up 40 minutes late thinking I was early. Another time I kept telling DH my appointment is at 12:30, that's what was written in the calendar, planned my whole schedule around it, then looked at the letter and it was at 11:20am. Completely slept through an appointment for one of my other kids.
I do a lot of private teaching, twice in the last three weeks I have completely forgotten about a lesson only to wonder who's at the door and then open it to find a girl waiting for her lesson.
Ran out of serving bowls yesterday lunch, had 2 meat and a parev, so planned to put the salad in the parev bowl and the other stuff in the meat ones, only to start ladling meaty cholent into the parev bowl ten seconds later. Oh well.
In middle of teaching my 12th grade class and looked at one of my slides on the slide show, and all of a sudden went completely blank - couldn't remember what the point of the slide was or how it fit into the lesson....
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics