Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Building a house. What would you love to have?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:38 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I don't know what a big dining room is, but our table opens to 13 feet, and we can fit 20 people around it. Our dinning room is big enough that everyone can fit and there is room to walk around the table without people having to move in.
I wanted his and her sinks, but our contractor didn't put in new sinks. One day :-) we have our own closets. What is a present closet? Our play room is not next to our kitchen, and I prefer it that way. We have a reading room upstairs. It's a converted crawl space. There are some comfy bean bag chairs, and lots of books!!! It's our quiet space :-) no table in there, it's just for reading. A study room sounds too intense for me, but if that works for you, enjoy!!

I'm talking about a long, narrow dining room with only a table inside and beautiful artwork on an available wall (I'm from a family of art collectors...), and only built ins if you insist on china or silverware. A present closet is a closet for storing pre-wrapped gifts for house warming, weddings, baby presents, etc. You know when you pass Sharper's Image and just see a great deal on something: you buy 20, wrap them, and store them in a closet along with cards that you see and like. The closet has different dimensions so that the boxes can fit in. There is also usually a special shelve with wrapping paper rods. Some people really will not see the need for it, but I'd prefer a present closet over a linen closet... Play room not near the kitchen sounds great! That bean bag room sounds really fabulous!!!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:39 pm
Fire place

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
Fire place
Built in Shabbos switches Very Happy

What is a shabbos switch? Can it be built in?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:49 pm
I only saw a ad I don't know anything about it. Shabbos switch

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:51 pm
Years ago I put in a round timer into a electric switch from Home Depot it never works friends who have timers they never work . Crying

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:01 pm
I would like a sprinkler system inside .
And fire escapes
And outdoor water sprinklers underground on timers all around the house .a nice fence all around the house

clowny

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:05 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
What is a shabbos switch? Can it be built in?

We have a Shabbos switch. It's a switch that u switch on and all lights that u want off all Shabbos, goes off. And all lights that u want on all shabbos, goes on. It also gets locked meaning that if you accidentally switch on/off the switch in a particular room that the Shabbos switch controls, it won't go on/off.
For example. The Shabbos switch put the bathroom light on on. You can then not shut it off in the bathroom. You first have to turn the Shabbos switch off. And the same goes for the bedroom lights that the Shabbos switch turned off.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:16 pm
I would like scounces coming out of the wall. (Candelabra)

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:18 pm
I would like wall to wall mirrors
Mirrors covering every wall

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:21 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I'm talking about a long, narrow dining room with only a table inside and beautiful artwork on an available wall (I'm from a family of art collectors...), and only built ins if you insist on china or silverware. A present closet is a closet for storing pre-wrapped gifts for house warming, weddings, baby presents, etc. You know when you pass Sharper's Image and just see a great deal on something: you buy 20, wrap them, and store them in a closet along with cards that you see and like. The closet has different dimensions so that the boxes can fit in. There is also usually a special shelve with wrapping paper rods. Some people really will not see the need for it, but I'd prefer a present closet over a linen closet... Play room not near the kitchen sounds great! That bean bag room sounds really fabulous!!!

that type of dining room is not so practical for a frum family, or modern life in general. My friend moved into a beautiful new house with a dining room exactly like that plus a large eat in kitchen. 10 years later she tore down the wall between the two rooms. Seems she doesn't like eating in a room like that, and they mostly ate in the kitchen, even with guests. Awesome if you have a team of maids serving and cleaning up, not so much if you are the maid. No one wants to leave the room to serve the soup in the middle of an exciting conversation.

Do you have kids? Why in the world would you want a play room far from the kitchen?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:31 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
In kitchen, a separate hot-water spigot that makes boiling water. Useful for tea and in cooking.

Remember that a mudroom has a raw brick floor. It's right where you come in. It's where you leave your boots, in boot-trays to catch the melted snow. You will need a seat there to put on your boots. And storage.

I am also building a home from scratch. I was going to put in the hot-water spigot until I found out how much it cost (over $500) and I dropped it as we are not daily coffee/tea drinkers. If we were, I would've kept it.

Why does a mudroom have to have a raw brick floor? Mine will be ceramic tile.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:
Years ago I put in a round timer into a electric switch from Home Depot it never works friends who have timers they never work . Crying

I've had built in timers for almost 35 years and they always worked great.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:35 pm
Raisin wrote:
that type of dining room is not so practical for a frum family, or modern life in general. My friend moved into a beautiful new house with a dining room exactly like that plus a large eat in kitchen. 10 years later she tore down the wall between the two rooms. Seems she doesn't like eating in a room like that, and they mostly ate in the kitchen, even with guests. Awesome if you have a team of maids serving and cleaning up, not so much if you are the maid. No one wants to leave the room to serve the soup in the middle of an exciting conversation.

Do you have kids? Why in the world would you want a play room far from the kitchen?

I believe that the benefits of such a dining room far outweigh the inconvenience. Furthermore, many people actually like to "get away" to remove the soup bowl and find it less of a bother than children playing in an oversized dining room where their playing only is a natural result of the set up of the room. Not everyone. You know that I do not yet have children and that I'm divorced. Many people with children have play rooms far from the dining room, including the poster I was responding to. To me a dining room is a room to eat in. Period. It's not a room to play in, to dance in, to sit around and shmooz in. It's a room where kids can sit down and eat like well behaved individuals or can asked to be excused to play in a playroom in a separate part of a home. I don't believe in forcing people to sit, but I do believe in a dining experience and not participating if it's not what you're up for. It's unfair to have a playroom near a dining room because children should not be pressured into keeping it extra quiet because those dining may hear. And BTW, I do like an eat in kitchen: that serves an entirely different purpose than a dining room IMO. Some people don't go for formal set ups, and I do, and while I know that when I have children I will be unable to force that same love of formality on them, it does not mean that it cannot exist in a non pressuring way in my home. Each person has to recognizing their own shortcomings when it comes to even designing a home, and yes, that's why I would not have my playroom near my dining room....

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:36 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I am also building a home from scratch. I was going to put in the hot-water spigot until I found out how much it cost (over $500) and I dropped it as we are not daily coffee/tea drinkers. If we were, I would've kept it.

I like kitchens with brick floors....... There we go.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:37 pm
OOTBubby wrote:

I'm not a hot drink person but other family members are. But I'd love a hot water spigot. I need hot water several times a day for cooking so it would be very useful. It would also free up counter space taken up by our electric kettle.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:40 pm
Two entries -- one formal, one with a mudroom. Large coat closet in formal entry.

Living room (more formal) with fireplace, and family room, with large TV, comfy chairs and couches, games, and pool table. This will also provide a private space for teens to hang out, but still allow adults to hang out in living room.

Eat in kitchen with tons of cabinets with pull-out drawers and the biggest refrigerator/freezer you've seen. Plenty of shelves for cookbooks, and nooks for frequently-used appliances. Walk-in pantry with chest freezer. Second Pesach pantry, where everything can be stored from year to year, with a counter-height refrigerator to store things before the holiday. I don't need a separate kitchen, or consider it necessary. Two deep sinks, two ovens/ranges. Granite counters. Deck off kitchen for bbq and beautiful days; not to mention sukkah.

Laundry off of kitchen. Its too noisy to be near the bedrooms.

Formal dining room large enough to host a lot of friends. Washing sink. China cabinet to store china, linens and silver; buffet.

First floor guest bathroom.

Large bedrooms with lots of closet space.

En suite master bathroom with deep tub with Jacuzzi, and separate shower.

Balcony off of master bath, but not off of kids' rooms.

Kids' rooms with hall baths.

Large linen closet in the hall, not in the bathrooms. While I love bathroom storage (and would have plenty), I like my towels not to be near the steam from the shower, not to mention the commode. And a second linen closet for storage of extra toiletries, and for suitcases.

Second, smaller upstairs TV room/playroom/hobby room.

A reading loft that can double as extra guest space.

Basement level guest suite with its own bath.

Last edited by Barbara on Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:44 pm
this is weird but I alaways dreamed that if I build my own home or renovate one I wud make a bathroom in the hallway for kids that has a few sinks and cabinet space and then 5 doors: 2 doors to two rooms that open into two large square corner baths each which a shower and then also and the other 3 doors open to toilets. no one will be using up bathrooms or creating fights.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:45 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why you wouldn't want the accouterments of dining -- china, silverware, linens -- to be in the dining room.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:48 pm
Barbara wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why you wouldn't want the accouterments of dining -- china, silverware, linens -- to be in the dining room.

Because I'd want China stored properly in a special China room either in a basement or wherever, and brought up into the kitchen for when it will need to be served. There are built in China Cabinets and silverware drawers. Those would be nice to have in a dining room, but only as built ins and not as a separate furniture piece. Extra furniture is a waste of money and space IMO. It makes me dizzy. So I need very clean, precisely measured out rooms with distinct purposes.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:52 pm
I'd also leave half of the basement unfinished for the kids to just do whatever they want. Paint on the walls, imaginary play, etc. and the other half of the basement would be for storage only: wine cellar (temperature controlled), china storage, tables and chairs storage, etc.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics