Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Building a house. What would you love to have?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

gande

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 10:54 pm
My dream is to build a house!!

Some of the stuff I think would be cool except for the things mentioned above.

1-an intercome system
2-Two extra small bedrooms for the kids who dont let the others in the room fall asleep
3-A small room for yourself to unwind and enjoy your hobbies.
4-a gated off corner for a vegetable garden, outdoors

Miri7

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 12:51 am
The things I love about my house that I would highly recommend : laundry on same floor as bedrooms (all of our are on the same level and noise hasn't been a problem for us). Radiant heat in the floors - this has been fantastic for our asthmatic family members (no forced air and dust and allergens getting blown about). Mudroom with long bench, cubbies below and a loooong row of coat hooks. Bookshelves in kitchen for cookbooks.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:07 am
UQT wrote:
OOTBubby, keep the bedrooms away from the boiler room! My in-laws have a ranch as you described and it's really hard to sleep with the constant noise of the boiler going on and off in the basement right near your head. It's their one regret - they should've built the boiler room near the playroom part of the basement.
:arrow:

Insulate well so they don't hear the noise. I am the poster who had insulation between her bedroom and the dining room. I couldn't hear the construction in the dining room from my bedroom when they were sawing and nailing the molding.

No one mentioned sun tunnels. These are great for bringing in natural light.

We also built a show stopping entranceway. Also we have glass balconies with a floating rail above it going across out kitchen. We have a staircase with treads and no risers.

We have a nice large open space library and two giant storage areas with 8 rows of shelves in one area plus all around the perimeter. That space is 1200 feet. The other area is half the size and only. Has storage on the perimeter. The inside of the room has tables for my projects.

We also have. Separate coast closets for family and guests. We have a closet just for shoes and one just for hats. We have another for my pocketbooks and one for sheitals.

mazal555

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:33 am
amother wrote:
Thanx everyone! Keep those suggestions coming!
This is what I'm planning on doing so far:
Main floor: Study, large living room and dining room, big kitchen with possibly pesach kitchen, den, mudroom next to 2nd entrance. garage entrance. 1 or 2 bathrooms. I would love a beautiful entrance wih a curved stairs. Lots of closets.
2nd floor: 5/6 bedrooms. laundry room. Master bedroom with huge walk in closet. Master bathroom with his and hers sinks, awesome shower and separate tub.
Attic: Will put in framweork but wont finish it.
Basement: Apartment for tenants, and a playroom

I would love to hear some storage solutions to maximize on space.

Don't make the living room and dining room 1 room or you will have to clean both when you serve a meal in the dining room. And don't make too big a kitchen or you will be taking a lot of unnecessary steps when you cook.

ez-pass

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:53 am
I just built my house and moved in a month ago. Pls pm me if ubhave any questions u may have.

imaima

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:56 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I believe that the benefits of such a dining room far outweigh the inconvenience. Furthermore, many people actually like to "get away" to remove the soup bowl and find it less of a bother than children playing in an oversized dining room where their playing only is a natural result of the set up of the room. Not everyone. You know that I do not yet have children and that I'm divorced. Many people with children have play rooms far from the dining room, including the poster I was responding to. To me a dining room is a room to eat in. Period. It's not a room to play in, to dance in, to sit around and shmooz in. It's a room where kids can sit down and eat like well behaved individuals or can asked to be excused to play in a playroom in a separate part of a home. I don't believe in forcing people to sit, but I do believe in a dining experience and not participating if it's not what you're up for. It's unfair to have a playroom near a dining room because children should not be pressured into keeping it extra quiet because those dining may hear. And BTW, I do like an eat in kitchen: that serves an entirely different purpose than a dining room IMO. Some people don't go for formal set ups, and I do, and while I know that when I have children I will be unable to force that same love of formality on them, it does not mean that it cannot exist in a non pressuring way in my home. Each person has to recognizing their own shortcomings when it comes to even designing a home, and yes, that's why I would not have my playroom near my dining room....

Yes, but if you need to keep an eye on your kids, then you will have to make an uncomfortable choice whether to watch them or to eat. By setting up the house this way, ( and if you are a bubby who knows her daughters will have to watch yound einkelach), you need to realizr that you are basically excluding your guests from the meal by not giving them a chance to keep the kids near them.

ez-pass

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 2:03 am
Some suggestions.
1- put toilet in master bathroom in separate room in bathroom.
2- make either closet or niche in master bathroom for towels
3- make living room/dining room one room because them u can open up room if have extra guests/parties etc.
4- put in third kitchen sink for pareve
5- if u not finishing off basement noe have the builder bring the plumbing to spot u want it otherwise it is major work later on.
6. Make sure to do big egress windows in basement if u will ever have anyone sleep down there.
7. The style now is 4" spots...honestly 6" just as nice.
all I can think if now but pls pm me with any questions.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:38 am
American windows!! (If you live in Israel you'll know why).

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 6:20 am
Barbara wrote:
To each his own, I suppose.

I think that beautiful furniture is every bit as worthy or admiration as artwork.

And since we use our china and silver (well, antique silver plate) at least twice a month, I'd hate to be lugging it up and down from a basement.

well, duh, the maid does it.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 7:06 am
amother wrote:
:arrow:

Insulate well so they don't hear the noise. I am the poster who had insulation between her bedroom and the dining room. I couldn't hear the construction in the dining room from my bedroom when they were sawing and nailing the molding.

No one mentioned sun tunnels. These are great for bringing in natural light.

We also built a show stopping entranceway. Also we have glass balconies with a floating rail above it going across out kitchen. We have a staircase with treads and no risers.

We have a nice large open space library and two giant storage areas with 8 rows of shelves in one area plus all around the perimeter. That space is 1200 feet. The other area is half the size and only. Has storage on the perimeter. The inside of the room has tables for my projects.

We also have. Separate coast closets for family and guests. We have a closet just for shoes and one just for hats. We have another for my pocketbooks and one for sheitals.

Same amother

A must have is great toilets. We got these toilets that vent really well and they smell clean in between cleaning. They are expensive. I can now tell the difference between them and regular toilets when I go to someone's house. I couldn't give them up now.

We also have a really quiet exhaust continuous exhaust in the bathroom. You can't hear it unless you flip the switch for a regular exhaust.

Insulate with foam and call in an energy consultant. My husband is a builder and the consultant saved us enough that he payed for himself with rebates and tax savings the first year.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 7:22 am
Had a few other suggestions:

Bedrooms far from living room
Kids rooms far from parents room
Toilets far from living room

If you build a house: nothing noisy about your head in bedroom

Bruria

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 7:56 am
Indoor heated pool

Ice skating rink

Big porch

Indoor garden

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 9:19 am
I don't know what kind of insulation amother is referring to, but if you have small children or really any children for that matter, please do NOT sound proof your bedroom!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 9:43 am
kiwi strawberry wrote:
Bubby, can I come to your place for yomtov too?

Sure, if you can handle something around 30+ little kids running around!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 9:45 am
UQT wrote:
OOTBubby, keep the bedrooms away from the boiler room! My in-laws have a ranch as you described and it's really hard to sleep with the constant noise of the boiler going on and off in the basement right near your head. It's their one regret - they should've built the boiler room near the playroom part of the basement.

Yes, we're doing that. The laundry room, 2 bathrooms and playroom separate the mechanicals from the bedrooms.

Barbara

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 9:46 am
I think we've all hit you with our fantasies. Let's talk reality, though:

1. If you have a lot of kids, a mudroom is probably nice, but I wouldn't call it a necessity, at least not for me. But if I were doing it, I wouldn't do a raw brick floor, which would need to be hosed down to get rid of mud and dirt.

2. Invest in a large kitchen. Most people consider it the heart of their homes. Its not the place to save money.

3. While others can stint on dining rooms, I don't think most religious Jewish families can, since they're used for Shabbat, and we tend to entertain more frequently. Make sure you have access to easy storage for dining room items -- china, silverware, linens.

4. Remember that there are kids. Or probably will be kids. Or grandkids. The 3 year old isn't likely to be able to sit through a long Shabbat lunch. You're going to want him somewhere you can keep an eye on him without skipping the main course.

5. I've said it before, I'll say it again -- Americans love their bathrooms. Be sure there are plenty, along with a guest bathroom on the main level. Far enough from the dining room that its not embarrassing for the person using it; close enough that no one decides just to go on into the family bathrooms.

6. Closets, closets, closets, and storage closets.

7. Look to the future. Sure, right now you have 4 kids under 7. That means that in the not too distant future, you'll have a slew of teens. Think about the space they'll need as well, and how areas can be converted.

8. Think about your lifestyle. Do you need a place to exercise? Lots of shelves? A hobby room is great if you have hobbies that need it, but not if your hobby is baking!

9. Plan for Pesach and Succot. Make sure there's a place for a succah that is easily accessible from the kitchen. No one wants to carry a pot of soup down a set of steep stairs. I personally don't understand the concept of a "Passover kitchen," but if it floats your boat, consider it. But no matter what, create an easily accessible place to store Passover things.

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 11:04 am
Like someone said upthread, radiant heating. It is soooo nice to wake up and put your feet down on warm floors when you wake up. Your heating bills will be less too as the floor heat rises and you won't have to heat as much.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 11:26 am
I would have a good security system
A camera by the front door
And cameras all over the house
And you can watch it in the kitchen

mirror

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 11:37 am
Sanguine wrote:
American windows!! (If you live in Israel you'll know why).

Why?

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 12:14 pm
if I were you I would spend a lot of time looking at house plans and see what layout looks good and makes sense for your family.

When I had to redecorate my house some years ago I got a bunch of interior magazines and leafed through them for ideas. Now, of course, you can just look online. .
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics