Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Poll: 57% disapprove of Obama handling of ISIS
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Are you among the 57% who disapprove of how Obama is handling the threat posed by ISIS?
Yes, I am not happy with the Obama is handling the issue.  
 63%  [ 31 ]
No, I am happy with the Obama is handling the issue.  
 16%  [ 8 ]
Polls are inaccurate. The number of those who disapprove is way higher.  
 16%  [ 8 ]
Polls are inaccurate. The number of those who disapprove is way lower.  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 8:19 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Yea Ted Cruz is proposing that any US citizen joining ISIS be stripped of their citizenship, tried for treason and banished. This proposed new law would have the same impact on any American who chose to fight for a foreign country.

That would be problematic, however, if American Jews could not join the IDF because currently some do. Israel is an ally however, and ISIS is the enemy.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 8:23 pm
southernbubby wrote:
That would be problematic, however, if American Jews could not join the IDF because currently some do. Israel is an ally however, and ISIS is the enemy.

Tell that to Ted Cruz, right wing America and the TP are unaware that US citizens can serve in the IDF.

marina

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 8:29 pm
I think we should have had many more targeted air strikes and we should have troops on the ground. And, as I said before, in a long thread that got totally out of hand, I'm willing to send my children and risk their lives for that.

ISIS, morally, easily exceeds Nazism in my mind and we cannot stand idly by.

I am an Obama supporter generally, but I agree that this administration moved too slowly in the beginning. I think they were hoping, as we were, that this would just go away.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 8:36 pm
Southernbubby, considering how America feels about capital punishment, I don't think your idea's likely to happen. And I don't think it's a good one. Because it wouldn't be applied just to this form of treason but to anyone who might be convicted of some form of treason and I can't countenance that. (Not that I'm comfortable with it being applied to members of ISIS or wannabees.)

blini

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 8:40 pm
Barbara wrote:
And can you share with us the bold and decisive military actions that Canada has been taking against ISIS?

Is Stephen Harper similarly "unaware, misguide or deliberately misrepresenting" the threat posed by ISIS by not sending in ground troops, or taking other bold action?

I see I have offended you, Barbara. Perhaps I should've qualified my remarks by offering mea culpas about my impotent nation before I offered an on-topic opinion. Carry on.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 8:57 pm
marina wrote:
I think we should have had many more targeted air strikes and we should have troops on the ground. And, as I said before, in a long thread that got totally out of hand, I'm willing to send my children and risk their lives for that.

ISIS, morally, easily exceeds Nazism in my mind and we cannot stand idly by.

I am an Obama supporter generally, but I agree that this administration moved too slowly in the beginning. I think they were hoping, as we were, that this would just go away.

We don't realize how much risk our children are already in. Do we really think we are safe here?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:00 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Southernbubby, considering how America feels about capital punishment, I don't think your idea's likely to happen. And I don't think it's a good one. Because it wouldn't be applied just to this form of treason but to anyone who might be convicted of some form of treason and I can't countenance that. (Not that I'm comfortable with it being applied to members of ISIS or wannabees.)

in 1953, wasn't there a Jewish couple named Rosenberg that was executed for treason?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.....nberg

Jonathan Pollard has spent his life in prison due to a treason conviction.

ISIS is so dangerous that society should pull out all the stops to squash them.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:03 pm
southernbubby wrote:
in 1953, wasn't there a Jewish couple named Rosenberg that was executed for treason?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.....nberg

Jonathan Pollard has spent his life in prison due to a treason conviction.

ISIS is so dangerous that society should pull out all the stops to squash them.

Well, since you mentioned Yehonatan ben Malka, I don't want to see him on death row.
I think Eddie Slovak was the last person executed for treason, yes?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:10 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Well, since you mentioned Yehonatan ben Malka, I don't want to see him on death row.
I think Eddie Slovak was the last person executed for treason, yes?

I don't know when treason executions ended and I only mentioned Yonatan ben Malka because it was a treason conviction. No I don't want him to be executed, chas v'sholem but then he didn't join ISIS. ISIS is a threat to democracy.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:12 pm
Slovik was executed for desertion, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for espionage.

I'm thinking we last executed for treason in the late '40s.

ETA: Pollard is in prison for espionage and will be released sometime this year before he's handed over to Israel.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:20 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Slovik was executed for desertion, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for espionage.

what? Rosenbergs were executed in '53

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:21 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

ETA: Pollard is in prison for espionage and will be released sometime this year before he's handed over to Israel.

when he goes to Israel every Jew will celebrate!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:22 pm
southernbubby wrote:
what? Rosenbergs were executed in '53
Do you have a question? I stated they were executed. They were not charged nor were they executed for treason. They were convicted of espionage not treason.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:28 pm
If countries take a stand and execute those who join ISIS the way that ISIS members execute journalists, Jews, Christians, children and anyone else that they deem worthy of execution, they might be able to squelch ISIS. Putting them in jail means that they will take hostages to get them released.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:31 pm
southernbubby wrote:
If countries take a stand and execute those who join ISIS the way that ISIS members execute journalists, Jews, Christians, children and anyone else that they deem worthy of execution, they might be able to squelch ISIS. Putting them in jail means that they will take hostages to get them released.

I notice you didn't answer my question above.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:44 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I notice you didn't answer my question above.

what the.... I was busy and then I noticed on the email a lot of imamother stuff and answered something else.

Here is a list of those convicted by country of treason:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.....eason

You are right that Rosenberg was not on the list. There was someone sentenced to death in '52 but then he was sent out of the country.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:05 pm
So Southern Bubby you do realize if all the cats get herded up into a World Court/League of Nations scenario as you propose, it would be still up to the US to change their law? Do you have any idea how long that would take?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:20 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
So Southern Bubby you do realize if all the cats get herded up into a World Court/League of Nations scenario as you propose, it would be still up to the US to change their law? Do you have any idea how long that would take?

Too long, too many people will be dead by then. When ISIS shows up here, that is when the laws will change.

bluebird

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:21 pm
I disapprove of how the entire world is handling this, not just the US. Especially Arab and/or Muslim nations in the area.

Multiple nations are (finally) taking on Boko Haram.

"Nations taking part in Flintlock include Algeria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Tunisia."
http://www.newsweek.com/chad-a.....o_d=1

Where are Iran (no friend to Shia-hating ISIS), Turkey, Jordan, Saudia Arabia? Are the waiting for the world to look like http://www.breitbart.com/natio.....hina/ ?

ETA: Actually, the Kurds have been doing pretty well.

Last edited by bluebird on Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:28 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Too long, too many people will be dead by then. When ISIS shows up here, that is when the laws will change.

Well we always have the Patriot Act.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics