Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Why does Shmurah Matzah cost so much?
Previous  1  2

leah233

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 7:50 am
creditcards wrote:
They have tons of chumras they are careful with. They have to make sure it didn't rain on the wheat and....more things. They have to sell everything they produce otherwise they lose money, that's how expensive the staff is.

It rains on the wheat .Otherwise it wouldn't grow.

They watch the wheat (from)when they cut it. Then they keep it in a secure place that no water can come into contact it until they bring it to the mill. No one actually physically stands there watching it to make sure no water comes in contact it.

esuss

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 8:15 am
Miri7 wrote:
Isn't all kosher for pesach matza shmura matza? Meaning that it's been watched since reaping?

It bugs me that hand-made matza is known as "shmura" when it really should just be called "handmade". I buy it just for Seder and get Yehuda for the rest of pesach.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding!!

Not all Pesach matzos is shmura matzos. Read the box very carefully. I don't know which brands of machine matzos is shmura and which not. Some do not say that it is shmura at all and some say that it is watched only from milling. Some say that it is 18 minutes and some are not stopped during process as previous poster wrote.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
Excuse me did you say shmura? If you want mehudar shmura like in satmar for example all the workers are shomer shabbos? Do you want to pay $8/hr for an Israeli boy who is standing by the boiling oven with mesiras nefesh (risking his life) so you can have kosher matzos?

If matza cannot be produced without a minor (or even an adult) risking his life, stop buying it. I don't care if you switch to safer methods of production, switch to machine matza, live on potatoes, or starve for a week.

creditcards

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:43 am
leah233 wrote:
It rains on the wheat .Otherwise it wouldn't grow.

They watch the wheat (from)when they cut it. Then they keep it in a secure place that no water can come into contact it until they bring it to the mill. No one actually physically stands there watching it to make sure no water comes in contact it.

They do watch it from a certain point...from rain....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics