Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
What to do with cheap sheitel without skin top?
Previous  1  2

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 10:15 pm
There was a video on YouTube showing a woman making a part in a wig without one. I can try to find it later tonight. Basically, she tweezed hairs (at the knot) where she wanted the part - slightly wider at the hairline and a bit more narrow going back. Then she put in a piece of flesh colored fabric underneath the parted area. I have been meaning to try it with one of mine, but haven't had the time yet. There are also videos showing how to make babyhairs on the hairline to make it look more realistic without showing your real hairline. These videos are not of frum women, but women who wear wigs for fashion reasons and want them to look more realistic.

silbergirl

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 6:03 am
Do you have videos Yael? Smile I do not want to make it totally invisible, in fact, people with a trained eye can always spot a wig. (even my sister did right away with my best wig and she is not around any other frum ppl normally). I just want to look well put together so that not every non jew I deal with at work spots it right away. Which in those days is a honest security concern in Europe. And I like looking well put together overall...

And the real fancy shmancy wigs are out of my league anyway, financially. Tongue Out

rosenbal

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 9:00 am
What about bangs? Someone mentioned it also. I have a nicer wig but got bangs recently because I didn't want to always be worried about my hairline at work (secular) and it looks so natural and is so easy. Its the front if s sug that looks most wiggy often. Maybe combining bangs with Yael's suggestion?

Kitten

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 4:11 pm
I don't see the problem with not having a skin part. Not every sheitel has one and many people who don't cover their hair don't actually have their scalp showing. As other posters suggested, you can change the style and have bangs which will look more natural, or have less of a mature look.

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 4:38 pm
Here's the link to the video I was talking about:

Making a part in a wig.

Also, here is the link to the video for making lace front wigs look more realistic.

Making baby hairs on lace front wigs.

Good luck!

tzniutfashion

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 1:16 pm
silbergirl wrote:
OT: could anyone explain to me why a tichel is considered more modest by some authorities than a sheitel? A simple sheitel style is imho much less eye catching than most tichels. Just look at the creations Wrapunzel and Leelach sell. I think they are way more attention seeking than any plain, short or medium length brown or blackish wig, silk top or not.

A normal sheitel does not necessarily draw the attention to the wearers facial features while a tichel definitely always does, especially when it is colorful. So where is the plus in modesty? Because the hair looks more covered?

If you do your research, you will find that most Poskim prohibit the wearing of wigs. Those who dit gave their heter (Magen Avraham and Mishna Berura) on 2 conditions -- wiggy and short. Most of today's sheitels do not qualify as wiggy and short. The one you have now probably works.

If you had watched the video you will learn more from the sources, as it comes from a Rabbanit well-versed in halacha both Ashkenaz and Sephard.

Not all tichels cover the hair properly either. If your hair covering doesn't cover your hair properly, then it's moot to wear it. Tichel Size and coverage is very important. Wigs have their own issues that are out-of-control, much more so than tichels. Many women start out wearing wigs and gradually switch to tichels after they learn more about it and feel more dignified as a Bas Melech in its entirety.

A general advice on tznius is 'don't copy the ways of the non jews', a hard one to keep as we are still in exile constantly bombarded by what they do that are catchy, but has to serve as a constant reminder.

tzniutfashion

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 1:35 pm
silbergirl wrote:
Do you have videos Yael? Smile I do not want to make it totally invisible, in fact, people with a trained eye can always spot a wig. (even my sister did right away with my best wig and she is not around any other frum ppl normally). I just want to look well put together so that not every non jew I deal with at work spots it right away. Which in those days is a honest security concern in Europe. And I like looking well put together overall...

And the real fancy shmancy wigs are out of my league anyway, financially. Tongue Out

A lot of non jews wear wigs. I can spot some of them easily when they look unnatural and out of place, but I don't go looking for them. I don't think non jews go looking for it on Jews either.

The wig market is predominantly for the non jews, only a tiny fraction is for the Jews, but what this tiny fraction of Jews wear has a 100% impact on the worlds above and below. That's why the wigs of today are so problematic.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:09 pm
There are synthetic wigs, lots of them, that I classify as "CH," meaning you could wear them in Crown Heights and be just fine.

silbergirl

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 6:15 am
I took it to the Sheitelmacher and she said it should be worn with a band. She said she could convert it into a band fall but it looked anyway like someone had worn it with a band before. She said there is enough time to make a band fall out of it when it is getting older and loses hair in front anyway, so no need to do it now.
I wear it with a wide band now without hair showing and its pretty nice.

Thanks for all the input!

ronbonboo

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:58 pm
The halacha is that I know my hair is covored, my husband knows my hair is covored and hashem knows that my hair is covored. Hair covering is a mitzvas aseh, and not a mitzvas saseh and therefor the idea of maaras ayin ie I can't tell if it's real or not doesn't apply. And just 1 more snidbit. The bais hamikdash was destroyed bc of sinas chinam and not the women's head coverings. You will never hear a man say I love to stroke your wig, but many will say they love to stroke their wife's hair. And lastly today at the baseball game I took off the baseball hat revealing my fall. I adjusted it it so my hair line didn't show and even though there is no skin top I looked so cute.

ROFL

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:47 pm
Silver girl. Some people are holier than thou, please ignore them! I don't know what you can do with your shetal,but I love you in those green peppers , very Wicked like! Have a good day !
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels