Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear instead of a shabbos robe?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

rikki!

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:45 am
nicole81 wrote:
for shabbos, I'd go with fancier maxi like one of these...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/el.....13769
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/el.....=1056
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/el.....=3071
http://www.forever21.com/Produ.....ntID=

The chiffon ones are so pretty! I like both of them but I think the print chiffon would be more flattering than the beaded one- especially if bought online.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:51 am
Watergirl, there are different types of robes. There are short ones, tailored and fitted, that look like fancy dresses you would wear to a wedding. I think what makes them technically robes is the front zipper. There are also maxi ones that look like fancy gowns, with beading, etc. I especially like the velvet ones and do not understand how nowadays it is considered just a robe material.
I agree that the prices are totally insane, so I just have one that I once got on sale before I got married. DH loves it. When I first wore it in front of him, he complimented me and said how nice I wear dresses instead of robes on Shabbos. Maybe that proves your point that some robes are not shabbosdik.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:55 am
I wish robes had front zippers; so many don't any more and it's impossible to nurse in ones without them! I have credit at a certain store for years but can never find anything nursing friendly that also looks halfway decent...

Simple1

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:02 pm
seeker wrote:
I dunno, I find it hard to feel Shabbosdik in a maxi skirt, that's what we used to wear to hang around camp or dorm in my teen days... on weekdays at times when you weren't being seen. How is that Shabbosdik? Is there a particular type/brand/fabric of maxi skirt that is nicer looking?

The tulle maxi skirts are definitely dressy. And they are more comfortable than they look because they have a soft t-shirty lining.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:37 pm
I gave up on robes as soon as the robe store started selling 2 piece robes. I buy maxi skirts and wear them with a nice shabbos top, like a lace top with a contrasting shell peeking through.
something like this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....75481
or this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....78051 with a floral or print maxi skirt.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 3:18 pm
First of all u can wear a nice maxi dress with a huge necklace ( the fake ones that are being sold and it sort of makes it more shabbosdik.
Second- rachel Zoe is super short and wears mostly maxi dresses...so you don't need to be tall to look good in one .

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
First of all u can wear a nice maxi dress with a huge necklace ( the fake ones that are being sold and it sort of makes it more shabbosdik.
Second- rachel Zoe is super short and wears mostly maxi dresses...so you don't need to be tall to look good in one .

when you are super skinny you can wear anything!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
when you are super skinny you can wear anything!

Ok that's true

Barbara

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:

5'8" is "super short"? In that case, I guess I'd better audition to be a munchkin.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
first of all .. I love this thread!!

A shabbos robe is NOT a bathrobe or a morning wrap around robe! Those you would not be seen in public wearing. A shabbos robe is comparable to a gown that you definitely would be seen wearing in public. It is made to give a woman a regal appearance while still offering comfort. Each to his own ... not everyone wants to wear one but we are trying to figure out how to wear something special for shabbos that is not worn during the week and still be comfortable. No one will go down the block wearing a little bathrobe to pick up their kids from a friends house. But many would certainly knock on their neighbors door in a dressy shabbos robe. Go to shul with it? NO! But I also wouldn't go to shul on shabbos in weekday clothing either.

Like a hostess dress? Caftan?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 3:57 pm
No, some clothes do NOT look good without "meat" Wink

That said, you can and should try every item on yourself and see.

Oh, and 150 dollars? I wouldn't spend this on a friend's wedding outfit, either.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 4:06 pm
I found the tulle maxi skirts didn't work with me. The bottom material is very clingy and very clearly shows the exact outline of my behind. The tulle doesn't hide too much. I didn't realize until someone pointed this out to me and I saw it in the mirror. Personally I don't fee comfortable with the style on me.

I've gotten jumpers at Marshalls that work very well in place of a shabbos robe. About 3 years ago I found a velour jumper and cotton jumper and I wear them every Friday night.

Kitten

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 4:16 pm
I second jumper dresses. They are very practical. And if you think they're too long, you can have them shortened because most of them look great in any length, on most people.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 8:49 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I wish robes had front zippers; so many don't any more and it's impossible to nurse in ones without them! I have credit at a certain store for years but can never find anything nursing friendly that also looks halfway decent...

Here in Monsey they sell them with zippers in the side seams starting from under the arms going down both sides until the waist. Alternatively, you can put them in yourself or have a seamstress do it for an extra 20 or so bucks.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 9:01 pm
Well I already have $15 worth of hemming to do, and the prices of the robes already cost $$$$ so I basically just gave up Sad

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 9:54 pm
watergirl wrote:
Sorry ladies, I dont see how a shabbos robe is any different than a long slinky skirt with a nice top - or any more shabbosdik. For the poster who said she wouldnt be normally seen in a slinky skirt - when would you go out in real public in a shabbos robe? You would go to PTA in a shabbos robe? Youd go to the grocery store in a shabbos robe? So why is it more ok to great the shabbos queen in one? The price tag is obscene typically (yes, imo $150 for a robe is obscene), and despite the fancy fabric, ITS A ROBE! I dont understand. Weekdays we wear dressy, stockings, shorter, more fitted skirts and dress shoes. Sheitels. Weddings we wear gowns. Shabbos we wear a robe? I totally understand wanting to be comfortable when lounging around the house. Thats why I wear a slinky, yes the same weekday slinky, with a nice sweater or blouse. I should mention that Im not the dressed up type normally so I wear my slinkys to PTA and to the store and to the Rabbis shiur. And on shabbos (not to shul usually but I have on occasion). And Ive seen the new style jumper robes with a shell under. Not impressed and I dont see how it looks any better than a maxi dress.

I think you are mixing up "appropriate for the setting" with "nice to wear." A person working in an office setting would be very inappropriately dressed if they came in an evening gown. The same gown could get rave compliments if they wore it to a fancy party. You might feel awkward wearing a bright summery flowery dress to a funeral, but it is still a fine dress. So no, I would not go to PTA in a Shabbos robe because that is an inappropriate mismatch. But if it is pretty and I feel pretty wearing it, I would definitely wear it to the Shabbos table, when entertaining company at home on Shabbos, and when visiting a nearby neighbor. I wouldn't wear it on the street because 1. it is very long and I never got around to having it hemmed and 2. it isn't what people around here wear on the streets so I might feel funny. However, people do wear maxi dresses which basically seem very similar to me so I think the look might be coming "in" and my main reason for choosing a maxi dress (if I ever find one I like, it looks promising but I haven't found one that feels "me" yet) would be cost and style (because the robes they are selling in frum stores do not appeal to me much these days.) I think the person who said DH won't let her come to the table in a robe has very specific standards, kol hakavod to her but for me this would be detrimental to my shalom bayis, getting to Shabbos peacefully is hard enough and being able to relax comfortably is an important part of my enjoyment of the day. If I have to also get dressed up in something that is not as easy to lounge in, pantyhose and all, I would be most displeased. DH finds my robe as pretty as I do, I'm comfortable, we're all happy, and yes it feels like Shabbos because I don't wear these robes any other time.

I actually do know someone who wore a beautiful Shabbos robe with a petticoat under it as a wedding gown (not bride, relative). She didn't find a gown she liked and then saw a really pretty robe, I don't think anyone could tell the difference (I only knew because she told me. But she told me before the wedding, during the gown-shopping stage, so I don't know if I would have guessed

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:13 pm
yeah shabbos robes are just a thing of the past not just because they cost 5x more than any dress I would buy - but they're also morbid & black ...

try an inexpensive t-shirt outfit ... or pj's like me

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 12:00 am
My problem is that I was tired of all the black in the Shabbos robes and got excited by the maxi dress idea, but they all seem to be either 1. patterns that are not my taste (found a couple of patterns that I actually liked even though I'm not such a pattern person, but they were no go for other reasons - price, see-through, etc) 2. very black or 3. light colors that would be pointless in a Shabbos robe-replacement because they would perpetually get dirty. For example, I think this is pretty and the price is right, but I could never pull it off: http://www.jcpenney.com/women/.....M.tif

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 12:03 am
seeker wrote:
My problem is that I was tired of all the black in the Shabbos robes and got excited by the maxi dress idea, but they all seem to be either 1. patterns that are not my taste (found a couple of patterns that I actually liked even though I'm not such a pattern person, but they were no go for other reasons - price, see-through, etc) 2. very black or 3. light colors that would be pointless in a Shabbos robe-replacement because they would perpetually get dirty. For example, I think this is pretty and the price is right, but I could never pull it off: http://www.jcpenney.com/women/.....M.tif

I actually like this one ... you should get it !!!

Dini

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 12:17 am
I started wearing a maxi skirt with a top because it was the easiest to nurse in. I find the robes with front zippers expose too much. If you want to use your credit in the robe store just get a 2 piece robe.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics