Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Terrible fire in Brooklyn
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

sneakermom

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 8:43 pm
Oy. Oy. Oy.
No words

mirror

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 9:10 pm
May the mother and daughter have a refuah shelaima.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 9:15 pm
How awful.

Please have smoke alarms all over and be careful. A hot plate is not meant for many hours' use. Only a warming tray.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 9:17 pm
Baruch Dayan Emet

tigerwife

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 9:23 pm
Bde. No words Sad Sad Sad

chani8

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 9:37 pm
Not just smoke detectors, buy fire extinguishers, too. Have an escape route figured out. I must talk this over with my family and make sure we've got a plan.

People are blaming this on Shobbos. We leave on a gas blech, electric heaters and a crock pot. Are we nuts to leave all these things on for Shobbos? But we leave a lot of things on during the week, too. Phones, computers, heaters.

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 9:39 pm
They're less likely to explode, no?

I don't leave anything like that on over shabbos. Precisely for this fear.

cholenteater

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 9:44 pm
Oy... Teary Eyed Teary Eyed

Laiya

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 9:56 pm
Barbara wrote:
BDE. This is simply an unspeakable tragedy.

As we mourn and try to learn from this, I want to quote a comment I saw on Facebook:
Quote:

I am a firefighter and taught fire safety. I promise all of you when that heat hits your body and smoke chokes your lungs the basic nature of survival will kick in. No matter how much you love your children. Instead of judging this lost I beg all of you to purchase smoke detectors for every room in your house, change the batteries 3x a year, and teach all how to get out of the house during a fire. Children have a tendency to hide during a fire. That's the wrong thing to do. Get out and stay out

This is a heartbreaking, unspeakable tragedy.
BD"E

What I'm not sure I understand is, what is meant when people talk about having an "escape plan"? How would people on the 2nd floor escape? Going downstairs to the front door doesn't sound like the best idea, as the fire is more intense there (if it started on the 1st floor). Jumping out the 2nd floor window maybe? Many people have child-proof locks on upstairs windows; how should the children be taught to escape?

mille

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:02 pm
chani8 wrote:
Not just smoke detectors, buy fire extinguishers, too. Have an escape route figured out. I must talk this over with my family and make sure we've got a plan.

People are blaming this on Shobbos. We leave on a gas blech, electric heaters and a crock pot. Are we nuts to leave all these things on for Shobbos? But we leave a lot of things on during the week, too. Phones, computers, heaters.

I am absolutely NOT placing blame on the family that this happened to, but to anyone who is now worried as a result of this horrible tragedy, I suggest fire extinguishers, too. They do expire after at time, so I think it would be good for those of us with fire extinguishers to just check and make sure they are still good. Everyone should have them in an easily accessible place, or two!

SorGold

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:10 pm
Laiya wrote:
This is a heartbreaking, unspeakable tragedy.
BD"E

What I'm not sure I understand is, what is meant when people talk about having an "escape plan"? How would people on the 2nd floor escape? Going downstairs to the front door doesn't sound like the best idea, as the fire is more intense there (if it started on the 1st floor). Jumping out the 2nd floor window maybe? Many people have child-proof locks on upstairs windows; how should the children be taught to escape?

Fire escapes?

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:12 pm
to lose one child would be unthinkable ... to lose 7 SEVEN ... beyond tragic Hashem yerachaim ~ how is any mother supposed to live after this ?!?!?!

kb

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:16 pm
I think it's impossible to be safe in all situations. We have to do our best, but we are really in Hashem's hands (and have to remind ourselves about that).

Example: seatbelts are very important, but I've heard stories of car fires where the child was stuck in a car seat and could not get out.

You can have child proof windows, or you can teach your children how to climb out a window. You can't have it both ways.

We have to do everything we can to keep our families safe, and also realize we are in the hands of our Father in heaven who is taking care of us. We don't understand why He does everything... no words. It is a terrible tragedy.

kb

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:17 pm
sequoia wrote:

There have been fires that started from laptops.

jstbeingme

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:23 pm
sequoia wrote:

So how do you have warm food shabbos day?

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:23 pm
Some appliances are designed for long time use and some are not. Don't exceed the intended use.

Any extension cords must be the heavy-duty kind, they are thick and grey. Not using any is better.

No curtains or paper near heat.

Heat proof surfaces such as stone or glass on tables, under any appliance.

If you have a tray for tea light candles, it should have little feet. Then, air circulates underneath it.

Stick your candles down well inside the candlestick, so they aren't loose.

There are hook-on rope ladders for upper stories of houses.

It is good to rehearse leaving with everybody, and, to agree on a meeting place.

Don't have toys and shoes in the pathway out, or on the stairs. There should be a clear pathway out. People can trip over stuff even if it is put off at one side.

Everybody should know "stop drop and roll".

We eat dinner from a warming tray, then a cold lunch on Shabbos day. We have a large hot water urn that is meant to be left on a long time, with plenty of water in it, so it doesn't burn out from being dry.

Maybe that's not customary, to have a cold Shabbos lunch.

Smoke alarms are essential, all over the place. Including the attic and basement. And the carbon monoxide kind.

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 10:57 pm
I don't. See Dolly above.

mfb

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 11:02 pm
What dolly said.
Though I do have a crockpot on for cholent. Also please check the wires on appliances constantly, if they stary fraying the appliance must be replaced!!!

ValleyMom

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 11:19 pm
BDE
Life is so fragile.

imasinger

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 11:20 pm
There are things you can buy for exiting a 2nd floor. We have a chain ladder thing in my closet. It is made to hang out the window and can be climbed down in a fire emergency if the stairs are not safe.

Children should learn stop drop and roll, and to stay with an adult when possible. All should learn about shutting doors, etc.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics