Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Loving names for children
1  2  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 12:11 pm
What would be loving names for children
ie Chaya can be Chayala
Esther can be Esther Hamalka
Perhaps I can add Tzaddik to my boys...
What else?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 12:23 pm
Please do it from your heart

self-actualization

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 12:24 pm
Add: Ahuva, Leba, Bracha for the girls and Boruch, Natan, Chanan for the boys

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 12:27 pm
My children already have names, I just want to call them lovingly

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 12:36 pm
I call my kids (they're both young girls) sweetheart and my love/lovey. Don't know if that helps.

spring13

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 12:42 pm
You mean nicknames? Endearments? Let them come naturally. You don't need to gush and coo, or force yourself to be cutesy, just to sound like a loving mother - other elements of communication matter more. I call my kids all kinds of weird personal nicknames but they all came up without planning. And honestly, zeeskeit or sweetie or whatever is one thing, but hearing people call their sons "tzaddik" all the time really bothers me. A tzaddik earns the title, and most little boys haven't done that.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 12:48 pm
Everything. At some point I wasn't sure if dd knew her real name ask I started using her real name more.
There are lots of pet names but it just has to FEEL right.
For example: Dd2 - I keep on calling her pitzee or tiny Smile She LOOKS so small (is average). I haven't even noticed till dh made me aware...

It has to come naturally. ...

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:18 pm
It's all in the tone of voice. You can call your dc Meeskeit and it will be a term of endearment if you say it with love or Zeeskeit and it will be a pejorative if you say it with acid on your tongue. Listen to Ruchel. Don't look for artificial terms from other people. Let it just happen naturally. You might gravitate to foods you like: sweet potato, chocolate cookie (I called my ds Haagen-Dazs for a while; this was a huge compliment) rhyme schemes: Sarah-Barah, Sruli-Buli (ok, maybe not) ; added words like Kayla-Cutie, and silly phrases like delicious boy and angel face. But none of this is planned; it all just happens when it feels right. some terms never make it past the first time or two and some stick around so long and are used so unconsciously that your dd has to beg you not to call her "kittenface" when she brings a guy home to meet you. (Hey, kittenface is better than a lot of other things.)

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:33 pm
Yeah, let it come naturally. My father always calls me "sweetheart" and my grandfather used to call me "honey." My aunt calls ALL of us (her kids and her nieces and nephews) "baby" and then immediately apologizes as we're all in our 20s/30s (lol, I don't mind, I think it is endearing).

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:34 pm
But if you are thinking of adding to their actual names, then we need to know what they are. There's also Leah'le, Chavie, Srulik, Yitzy, Avrumele, Shmuli... anything, really.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:39 pm
Please don't call them meeskeit... my MIL calls her kids fatsos as a term of endearment.

Puke

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
Please don't call them meeskeit... my MIL calls her kids fatsos as a term of endearment.

Puke

It was customary among some people in Europe to call children names like Meeskeit as a hedge against ayin hara.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:08 pm
Wait, what does meeskeit mean?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:21 pm
esheschayil wrote:

Ugly!!! We were always called meesekeit! Smile

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:51 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Ugly!!! Smile

Really??? I thought it was the plural of "moose"! (JK)

Ashrei

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:01 pm
I actually call my kids tazaddiks all the time, in the sense of "come here my little tzaddik," and I really do it from the heart because to me they ARE my little tzaddiks!!! I think they understand the context between the way I use it with them and the idea of a mamash Tzaddik. But I also want them to know that they have it in them to be really great! At least that's how their mommy always feels about them.

Otherwise I call them zeeskeit or Love, and my son's pt calls him shepsele which I think is very sweet.

Our baby named Bentziyon we often refer to as "Sir Bentz-a-lot."

Hope this gives you ideas Wink

Miri7

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:11 pm
My FIL says "schatseleh" and "ketseleh" I say "honey" "sweetie" "bubbeleh" "sugar". A good mix of southern and Yiddish.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:21 pm
Here are some endearments I use or have heard people use:

sweetie
sweetheart
boobah (doll)
shayfale (lamb)
shayfie (short for shefale)
princess
prince
boychik
girlie
big boy
big girl
neshama'le
zeeskeit
dear
dearest
darling
beautiful girl
gorgeous girl
gorgeous boy
my love
smooshie-face
pookie

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:27 pm
esheschayil wrote:

Disgusting

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:31 pm
I call my kids "angel baby" or "my beautiful angel baby" or just "baby". Also, "tzaddik" or "tzaddikel" or "moshe hatzaddik" or sweetie or zeeskeit or a number of other things.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics