Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Attention Food Editors - some suggestions
Previous  1  2  3

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 2:48 pm
debsey wrote:
Of course! All my Bubbe's pesach recipes call for "a glesseleh" of this or that. By "glesselah" she meant those short, thick glass yahrtzeit glasses. Those things were PRACTICALLY indescructable, and I still have a few.
my bubbe used the same short thick yartzeit glasses

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 2:56 pm
I can foresee a new shidduch question: did your bubbes use glass jars or yahrtzeit glasses? If yahrtzeit glasses 26 or 72 hours? If jars, what were originally in the jars.
You can't be too careful.

Liebs

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 3:25 pm
debsey wrote:
The "mustard" is the most frustrating. That stuff is GROSS! I buy the smallest size, and end up using about 3 TBSP for recipes. I throw the rest away. I wish there was an alternative.

me too!
they should make small packets.
let's call attention to food distributors/manufacturers.

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 3:38 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I can foresee a new shidduch question: did your bubbes use glass jars or yahrtzeit glasses? If yahrtzeit glasses 26 or 72 hours? If jars, what were originally in the jars.
You can't be too careful.

And did she call it "ah Glesseleh?" all the BEST bubbies did. Not this Americanized "yartzeit glass" language.....so "nisht heimish"
Also, when she cooked, did she say "a bisseleh zaltz..." "An eifen " (a handful) etc.
I still make my potato kugel with "an eifen" of salt and a bisseleh of pepper.

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 3:42 pm
Liebs wrote:
me too!
they should make small packets.
let's call attention to food distributors/manufacturers.

I agree. Then again, there's so much the food manufacturers do and don't do that would be resolved if they just talked to actual customers.
Like all the food packaging with words all over it! Ever do surgery on a wrapper to try not to break the words? You're frum - you know it's probably mostly for shabbos party - DON'T PUT WORDS ON THE WRAPPER!

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 6:24 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I grew up with Blueberry Shtoonekes in NJ. My dad was Polish and it was his specialty. Thanks for the memories. I found 5lbs of blueberries in the bottom of my chest freezer. They are next weeks baking project.

Wow - you are the first person I've ever met who heard of these. And your family called them Shtoonekes? (obviously who knows how it is spelled LOL ). I was beginning to think I had imagined it and the word was made up. But if your family called them that, they were obviously a real item baked by some Polish Jewish families.

I wonder if it was just a regional recipe from certain areas of Poland or maybe blueberries were a very rare item in most of Poland.

The Shtoonekes would definitely be my Madeleine if I were ever lucky enough to have one again Very Happy

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 7:11 pm
Amarante wrote:
Wow - you are the first person I've ever met who heard of these. And your family called them Shtoonekes? (obviously who knows how it is spelled LOL ). I was beginning to think I had imagined it and the word was made up. But if your family called them that, they were obviously a real item baked by some Polish Jewish families.

I wonder if it was just a regional recipe from certain areas of Poland or maybe blueberries were a very rare item in most of Poland.

The Shtoonekes would definitely be my Madeleine if I were ever lucky enough to have one again Very Happy

There are blueberries in Poland and Russia. Cubans have a similar version that was made with pineapple and morphed into blueberries here in the US. Their dough is just a bit lighter.

cbg

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 7:55 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Is it possible to have a Pesach bowl and a Pesach blade, and then use the same base of the food processor?

Sometimes you can get an extra bowl and blade from the company. The phone number may be on the instructions. Or the website. Or even eBay has them, if you use the right serial number, maybe.

If you think that would do. I am no expert.

That's what I did with my expensive vitamix

cbg

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 8:01 pm
debsey wrote:
But what can you use instead of the "mustard" in the recipes that call for it?

Never tried it, but maybe tumeric mixed with water and salt until it becomes a paste.
Not sure if it will work

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 8:51 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
There are blueberries in Poland and Russia. Cubans have a similar version that was made with pineapple and morphed into blueberries here in the US. Their dough is just a bit lighter.

Sorry I was a bit confusing. I realize almost every culture has some form of fruit baked in a dough like a turnover. Smile

I just had NEVER heard anyone else refer to it as a Shtooneke in terms of it appearing to be a specific name for the variation baked by Polish Jews. LOL Very Happy
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics