Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Spin off: The esthetics of light switches.
1  2  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:37 pm
I've never given this much thought. I happen to like the flat toggle panels since they are easy to clean. I've just learned they may not be fashionable enough for The Hovel. Can you folks post some fashionable light switches for me to see some examples.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:39 pm
is this another thing I'm supposed to notice and thinking about? uh oh.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:41 pm
I also thought the comment was amusing. Of all the things....and the switch in discussion is really pretty neutral/basic looking

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:45 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
is this another thing I'm supposed to notice and thinking about? uh oh.

Only when it applies to the homes of other people. Worry not about your own light switches Very Happy

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:50 pm
Basalte Switches (absolutely beautiful and come in a variety of styles - Sentido, Mona, etc.)
Yellow Light Switch (Has a touch panel that shows you all lights in different rooms or multiple areas)
The Swarovski dot light - also a flat panel with a hidden swarovski
Then there are hidden light switches (hidden in an art piece for example or a piece of furniture)
There are missing light switches (they don't exist and everything can be handled through your ipad or the like)

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:53 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Only when it applies to the homes of other people. Worry not about your own light switches Very Happy

I actually would never notice it in someone else's home. I just like clean lines so a standard light switch would really disrupt that. I'm sure that those imamothers who know me IRL are laughing at your comment because it could not be more displaced, but it's cute none the less.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:53 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

so I'm supposed to judge the switches others have? because my sister has those wide ones and I don't like them one bit.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:54 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
so I'm supposed to judge the switches others have? because my sister has those wide ones and I don't like them one bit.

No. You're not.
Everyone should get the switch they please either because they like the look, or don't care, or because it's affordable or whatever.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:57 pm
So many posters, so many opinions...

The Basalte switches are so ugly! Really modern/high tech looking. Not my taste at all...and visitors would be clueless how to use them

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:59 pm
MamaBear wrote:
So many posters, so many opinions...

The Basalte switches are so ugly! Really modern/high tech looking. Not my taste at all

Also not my exact taste, but their pretty standard and not necessarily modern. They are extremely practical and can be made to design (so if you like country or Victorian styles, you can of course incorporate that).

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:59 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I actually would never notice it in someone else's home. I just like clean lines so a standard light switch would really disrupt that. I'm sure that those imamothers who know me IRL are laughing at your comment because it could not be more displaced, but it's cute none the less.

My comments and this thread are all in good humor. I've never really considered the esthetics of light switches. I will say back in the days of flip switches I often crafted switch plates for friends as gifts.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:00 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
My comments and this thread are all in good humor. I've never really considered the esthetics of light switches. I will say back in the days of flip switches I often crafted switch plates for friends as gifts.

now switch plates, that's a discussion I can offer a lot toward

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:01 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
now switch plates, that's a discussion I can offer a lot toward

Spin off please! I have lots of opinions on them as well.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:02 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Spin off please! I have lots of opinions on them as well.

first, never tacky plastic. I can teach you how to wall-paper them to match your rooms. me, I like brushed nickel.

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:04 pm
What is a switch plate?

I've never seen those type of fancy light switches in anyones home. Maybe in a very modern hotel.

Sometimes, I use ugly things because they are practical. The shabbos lamp is pretty hideous but I love its usefulness. However, light switches do not bother me, and I don't think the ones in scrabbles links are any prettier then the regular type.

Last edited by Raisin on Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:06 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
first, never tacky plastic. I can teach you how to wall-paper them to match your rooms. me, I like brushed nickel.

When I had homes with wallpaper they were always covered to match. My favorite (which I've moved around for years) is a switch plate now in my bedroom. It's got Keith Richards on it.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:12 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
When I had homes with wallpaper they were always covered to match. My favorite (which I've moved around for years) is a switch plate now in my bedroom. It's got Keith Richards on it.

now I feel boring.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:31 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
now I feel boring.

Maybe this one could work for you?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini.....f.jpg

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 5:34 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

I spray paint the cheap plastic ones with rustoleum oil rubbed bronze. Looks much nicer.

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 5:46 pm
Now I'm feeling less than... I have those tacky plastic switch covers and never before realized I'm commitingsa crime.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics