Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff - Is your child safe?
Previous  1  2

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:29 am
Maya wrote:
The original thread spoke mostly of stranger danger, but my issue is slightly different.

My nine year old's two friends on the block are allowed to ride their bikes in the street without supervision. We are in Monsey but not on a cul de sac, and while not a main through street, it's still busy enough to worry me about him getting hit by a car. So far my kid is only allowed to ride his bike together with his father at his side, but that makes him the outcast when the other two kids go riding.

I'm torn about whether to give up on my standards of safety so he can have fun with his friends, or stick to my guns? What would you do?

He's getting to the age where you won't be able to just say "No." Your husband should now be focusing on "rules of the road" always having a reflector with you when you ride (just in case it gets dark) having an emergency plan if something goes wrong (tire goes flat, bike breaks, you fall and hurt yourself) etc.

Obviously, helmets are not an optional choice!

Your husband should be really teaching and reinforcing these lessons so he is also starting to learn how to be a safe, responsible bike rider.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:44 am
pickle321 wrote:
Just FYI I believe it is illegal in ny to ride a bike on the sidewalk

That only applies to older children and adults.

Quote:
ยง 4-07 (c)(3) - Restrictions on crossing sidewalks
No driving bikes on sidewalks unless sign allows or wheels are less than 26 inches in
diameter and rider is twelve years or younger.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:23 pm
A bit off-topic but I think it's important for mothers to caution their kids:

I was crossing the sidewalk from my car to my house after running errands. My house is after a bend, so I took a quick look behind me around the bend then crossed the sidewalk. Unfortunately a boy of about 10-11 suddenly sped on his bike around the bend on the sidewalk and crashed into me, sending me literally flying. I BH wasn't seriously injured but was in a lot of pain for a couple of weeks. Having just given birth weeks before didn't help either! BH I had just put the baby in the house a minute before and was coming back from getting stuff from the car, I shudder to think what could have happened if I had been holding her at the time.

Please make sure your kids (besides for being aware of all the dangers) are aware of other people who are on the sidewalk! And when biking around a bend or somewhere else with limited visibility, slow down! Someone may be right there!

Thanks!

pickle321

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:24 pm
MrsDash wrote:

Thank you I didn't realize that.

Maya

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:26 pm
debsey wrote:
He's getting to the age where you won't be able to just say "No." Your husband should now be focusing on "rules of the road" always having a reflector with you when you ride (just in case it gets dark) having an emergency plan if something goes wrong (tire goes flat, bike breaks, you fall and hurt yourself) etc.

Obviously, helmets are not an optional choice!

Your husband should be really teaching and reinforcing these lessons so he is also starting to learn how to be a safe, responsible bike rider.

Excellent points. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics