Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Its that time of year !!!Dairy recipes needed!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

boysmom4

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:50 am
Cheese Canoles (Canolies)

Totally heaven and so easy to make! Look professional without too much effort.
You can decorate as you wish. I personally like to dip the ends in melted milky chocolate and then into caramelized nuts for that extra crunch!

SERVING/YIELD-40
PREP TIME-20 min
INGREDIENTS
1 9% Tnuva Soft Cheese (G'vinah Levana)
1 (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 (8 oz) whip
Cigars
Chocolate

1.Combine the 9% and cream cheese. Mix in the sugar and vanilla sugar.
2.Whip up the whip and and combine with the mixture.
3.Fill the cigars and decorate to your liking.
Eat and enjoy!

yenny

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 1:44 pm
Amarante,where do I find crystalized ginger?

etky

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 2:25 pm
blimy2 wrote:

You can decorate as you wish. I personally like to dip the ends in melted milky chocolate and then into caramelized nuts for that extra crunch!

SERVING/YIELD-40
PREP TIME-20 min
INGREDIENTS
1 (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 (8 oz) whip
Cigars
Chocolate

Eat and enjoy!

Thanks! I think this must be very similar to what one of my neighbors gave this year for mishloach manot except hers were frozen. Tasted like ice cream. In any case they were delicious and gorgeous. Be"h I'm definitely going to make this for Shavuot for my non-cheesecake eaters.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:07 pm
This is a nice savory cheesecake,.

Savory Smoked Salmon Cheesecake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Bakepedia
Yield: 15

Ingredients:

Crust:
1/4 cup finely ground Pretzel Crisps, in Everything flavor, or dried breadcrumbs
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Cheesecake:

2, 8-ounce packages (1 pound) cream cheese, at room temperature, , cut into pieces
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
6 ounces smoked salmon, chopped fine
Decoration and Serving:
1 ounce smoked salmon in a large piece
Long pieces of chives
1 English or hothouse cucumber, sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
Extra Pretzel Crisps or crackers

Directions:

For the Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 6-inch by 3-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Wrap the outside with aluminum foil to protect from the water bath.

Blend together the ground pretzels, parmesan and butter in a small bowl. Press the mixture into the bottom of your cake pan making an even layer. Set aside.

For the Cheesecake: Beat the cream cheese in your mixer using the flat paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the chives, parsley, zest, salt and pepper. Stir in sour cream by hand then fold in the chopped salmon.

Pour batter into pan and smooth top with small offset spatula. Place cake pan in a larger pan filled with 1-inch hot water. Bake for approximately 30 to 40 minutes. It should be set around the edges, but still creamy in the middle with a slight wobble. Remove cake from water bath and cool completely on a rack, then refrigerate at least overnight. May be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep well covered with plastic wrap while storing in refrigerator.

For Decoration and Serving: Unmold cheesecake and place on display platter. To make a rose out of the salmon, simply take a strip of it and roll it in a simple spiral. Loosen some of the rings towards the outside of the spiral, and voila, a simplified rose. Place it on top with some chives bundled together and tied in a loose knot. The cake may be refrigerated overnight at this point, if desired, or served immediately.

When ready to serve, offer with pretzels/crackers and sliced cucumbers alongside.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:08 pm
I've never made this one but Alton Brown's recipes are generally excellent in my experience.

Savory Cheesecake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Alton Brown
Yield: 8

Ingredients:

24 ounces cream cheese
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
4 ounces sour cream
2 large eggs
6 ounces smoked trout, diced
1/3 cup chopped chives

Crust:
3 ounces melted butter
1 egg white
1 1/2 cups crushed bagel chips

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, egg white, and the bagel chips. Press them into the bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan. Bake for 8 minutes to crisp up. Remove from oven and cool. Reduce the heat to 250 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, blend the cream cheese, cornstarch, salt, and sour cream. Once combined, add the eggs. Fold in trout and chives. Pour the batter over the cooled crust. Bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven for an additional hour without opening the door. Cool on a rack for at least 4 hours. Carefully unmold. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:10 pm
This is an Icebox Cake - a non-baked cheesecake. It freezes well.

Oreo Cookbook Icebox Cheesecake

Recipe By: Cook's Country

Ingredients:

Oreo Cookie Crust

30 Oreo cookies, broken into rough pieces
7 tbls unsalted butter, softened

Cheesecake Filling

1 cup milk
4 egg yolks
1/4 flour
8 ounces white chocolate, chopped (or 1 1/3 cups white chocolate chips)
2 lbs. cream cheese, cut into 1" chunks and softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tsps vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 Oreo cookies, broken into rough pieces

Directions:

Process cookies and butter in food processor until finely ground. Press cookie mixture evenly into the bottom and sides of 9" springform pan. Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour.

Heat 3/4 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Meahwhile, whisk yolks, flour and remaining milk in a bowl until smooth. Slowly whisk hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until very thick and glossy, 1 to 2 minutes.

Off heat, whisk in white chocolate until melted. Transfer pudding to bowl, press plastic wrap directly on surface, and refrigerate until cold and set, at least one hour.

With electric mixer on medium-high speed (or in a bowl with a heavy whisk) beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and mix in chilled pudding until just combined, about 30 seconds. Pour one-quarter of cream cheese mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle one-third of cookies over surface. repeat process twice, then top with remaining filling. Refrigerate until set, at least six hours.

Notes:

Can be made up to two days ahead or frozen

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:16 pm
My friend made this and gave me the recipe. It's from a cookbook called Fields of Green which was written by the chef of the famous vegetarian restaurant in San Francisco. It's quite a procedure but the result - as eaten by me :-) was fabulous. You can prepare the components ahead of time like the mushroom stock and then assemble.

Lasagne with Mushroom-port Sauce

Recipe By: Fields of Green

Ingredients:

Mushroom Sauce:

Mushroom Stock (recipe follows)
1/2 ounce dried porcini, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1/2 medium-size yellow onion, diced, about 1 cup
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup Ficklin or good domestic port
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup unbleached white flour

Mushroom Stock (Makes 7 to 8 cups):
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 leek top, chopped and washed
4 garlic cloves, in their skin, crushed with the side of a knife blade
1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 lb. white mushrooms, sliced
2 small carrots, chopped
6 parsley sprigs, coarsely chopped
3 fresh thyme sprigs
2 fresh marjoram or oregano sprigs
2 fresh sage leaves
2 bay leaves
9 cups cold water

The Mushroom and Leeks:

2 tablespoons light olive oil
2 large leeks, white parts only, cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced, and washed, about 4 cups
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb. white mushrooms, thickly sliced, about 5 cups
1/4 cup Ficklin or other good domestic port
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs: thyme, marjoram, and parsley

Ricotta Custard:

1 lb. ricotta cheese, about 2 cups
2 eggs, beaten
1 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated, about 1/3 cup
3 pinches of freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Herb Bechamel

2 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons unbleached white flour
Several fresh herb sprigs and leaves, bundled together: parsley, sage, thyme, and marjoram
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Assembling the Lasagne:

3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated, about 1 cup
1/4 lb. Gruyere cheese, grated, about 1½ cups
1 lb. fresh pasta sheets

Directions:

Mushroom Stock

Pour just enough water into the stockpot to start the onion cooking. Add the onion, leek top, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, and salt. Give the vegetables a stir, then cover the pot and cook gently over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cover with 9 cups cold water. Bring the stock to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Pour the stock through a strainer, pressing as much liquid as you can from the vegetables, then discard them.

Mushroom Sauce

Make the stock and boil it over high heat until it is reduced to 3 cups. Keep it warm over low heat.

Strain the soaked porcini through a fine-mesh strainer, saving the soaking liquid. (If the soaking liquid is sandy, pour it through cheesecloth or pour off the liquid, avoiding the sand.) Finely chop the porcini, discarding any pieces that are gritty or hard.
Heat the olive oil in a medium-size saucepan; add the onion, the salt, and a few pinches of pepper. Saute the onion over medium heat until it begins to release its juices, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and the porcini. Saute until the onion is soft, 2 to 3 minutes, then add the port and the porcini liquid; simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, until the pan is nearly dry. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
In the same saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook the resulting roux over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly to keep it from scorching. Whisk ½ cup mushroom stock into the roux to make a paste, then whisk in another ½ cup to thin it. Gradually add the remaining stock, and when all of the stock has been incorporated add the onion, making sure to include all of the pan juices. Cook the sauce over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until it thickens slightly. It should be very flavorful.

Mushrooms & Leeks

Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a wide skillet; add the leeks, ½ teaspoon salt, a few pinches of pepper, and the dried thyme. Saute over medium heat for 2 minutes, add half the garlic, cover the pan, and steam the leeks until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Sear the mushrooms in 2 batches over high heat using ½ tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper for each batch. As the mushrooms cook, they will release their juices; then the juices will evaporate, and the mushrooms will begin to sear. At this point they will begin to stick to the pan, but don’t stir them. Cook over high heat until they’re golden, then stir once and continue to sear for 1 to 2 minutes. Add half the remaining garlic, stir again, then add 1/8 cup port to deglaze. Add the mushrooms to the leeks. Sear the second batch and add it to the leeks.
Reserve 1 tablespoon chopped herbs and combine the rest with the mushrooms and leeks.

Ricotta Custard

Place the ricotta in a mixing bowl and stir in the eggs; add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Herb Bechamel

Heat the milk in a saucepan. Melt the butter in a separate pan, add the flour, and cook the resulting roux over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. When the milk is scalded, pour it into the roux a little at a time, whisking continuously. Add the bundled herbs, the salt, and the pepper. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove the herbs just before assembling the lasagne.

Assembling The Lasagna

Set aside 1/3 cup of the Parmesan to sprinkle on top of the lasagne during baking and toss the rest of the cheeses together.
When you’re ready to assemble the lasagne, preheat the oven to 350F, and have a 9-by 13-inch baking dish ready. Spread 1 cup of the mushroom sauce on the bottom and cover it with one layer of pasta. Pour another cup of sauce over the pasta, followed by all of the leeks and mushrooms. Sprinkle with half of the mixed cheeses and add another layer of pasta. Spread the Ricotta Custard evenly over the pasta and cover with another layer of pasta. Add the last cup of sauce, the remaining cheese, and the final layer of pasta. Pour the béchamel over the lasagne, spreading it evenly to cover the corners.
Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved cheese and bake, uncovered, until the béchamel has set, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the reserved fresh herbs.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 11:32 am
yenny wrote:
Amarante,where do I find crystalized ginger?

Depending on where you live, a place that sells a good assortment of nuts and spices should have.

You can order from ohnuts.com. I have some other good recipes that use crystalized ginger as I love the flavor of ginger cakes and ginger cookies.

http://www.ohnuts.com/buy.cfm/.....lized

Amarante

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 11:36 am
This recipe was actually from Pesach but I didn't find it until after. Did anyone in Israel have the Ben & Jerry ice cream during this Pesach.

I haven't made this but I think the consistency is going to be more of a frozen mousse than a true "ice cream" since there is no "churning. Not that there is anything wrong with that - to quote Jerry Seinfeld. Very Happy

Charoset Ice Cream

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

For the charoset:
1 medium apple, peeled and cored, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons golden raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon date syrup
1 tablespoon cane sugar
2 tablespoons sweet red wine, such as Manischewitz
For the ice cream:
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions:

To prepare the charoset, toss the diced apples, chopped walnuts, pecans, raisins and golden raisins, cinnamon, honey, date syrup, sugar, and wine together in a bowl. This can and should be made a day in advance. Refrigerate until needed.

To make the ice cream, whisk together the condensed milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form using a stand mixer or hand mixer. In batches, fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture, until fully combined.

Pour half of the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe container (I used a loaf pan and sealed it with plastic wrap and tinfoil), then add the charoset mixture (reserving 1/4 cup for serving). Pour the rest of the cream over the charoset. Using a knife, swirl Charoset into the ice cream layers. Seal well and freeze for at least 6 hours.

Serve with a spoonful of the extra Charoset. For best flavor and texture, eat within two weeks.

Notes:

Have you heard about the latest Ben & Jerry's ice cream craze? They created a special Passover charoset ice cream, and it has us all pining to try this newest flavor. The catch is that it's only sold in Israel! Apparently people have been even calling the Vermont factory, trying to get their hands on a rare, exclusive-to-Israel pint.

This was obviously an opportunity. With the Atlantic lying between us, I decided to take on the challenge and make my own recipe. The great thing about this creamy, cinnamon-spiked ice cream, full of apples and raisins and spices, is that it's completely low tech — no ice cream machine needed — which makes it suitable for any kitchen. Charoset ice cream can be yours!

You can use left-over charoset from the seder, or make the traditional Ashkenazi version I share in the recipe below. (It's different in flavor and texture than the Medjool Date and Apple Charoset I shared with you last year.) This style of charoset is made with apple chunks, walnuts, and sweet-wine soaked raisins.

This no-churn method is unsophisticated in the equipment you need, but it doesn't compromise on flavor: it still offers a creamy vanilla base, loaded with cinnamon and spiced charoset in every bite.

etky

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 1:39 pm
Amarante wrote:
This recipe was actually from Pesach but I didn't find it until after. Did anyone in Israel have the Ben & Jerry ice cream during this Pesach.

I haven't made this but I think the consistency is going to be more of a frozen mousse than a true "ice cream" since there is no "churning. Not that there is anything wrong with that - to quote Jerry Seinfeld. Very Happy

Charoset Ice Cream

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

For the charoset:
1 medium apple, peeled and cored, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons golden raisins
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon date syrup
1 tablespoon cane sugar
2 tablespoons sweet red wine, such as Manischewitz
For the ice cream:
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions:

To prepare the charoset, toss the diced apples, chopped walnuts, pecans, raisins and golden raisins, cinnamon, honey, date syrup, sugar, and wine together in a bowl. This can and should be made a day in advance. Refrigerate until needed.

To make the ice cream, whisk together the condensed milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form using a stand mixer or hand mixer. In batches, fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture, until fully combined.

Pour half of the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe container (I used a loaf pan and sealed it with plastic wrap and tinfoil), then add the charoset mixture (reserving 1/4 cup for serving). Pour the rest of the cream over the charoset. Using a knife, swirl Charoset into the ice cream layers. Seal well and freeze for at least 6 hours.

Serve with a spoonful of the extra Charoset. For best flavor and texture, eat within two weeks.

Notes:

Have you heard about the latest Ben & Jerry's ice cream craze? They created a special Passover charoset ice cream, and it has us all pining to try this newest flavor. The catch is that it's only sold in Israel! Apparently people have been even calling the Vermont factory, trying to get their hands on a rare, exclusive-to-Israel pint.

This was obviously an opportunity. With the Atlantic lying between us, I decided to take on the challenge and make my own recipe. The great thing about this creamy, cinnamon-spiked ice cream, full of apples and raisins and spices, is that it's completely low tech — no ice cream machine needed — which makes it suitable for any kitchen. Charoset ice cream can be yours!

You can use left-over charoset from the seder, or make the traditional Ashkenazi version I share in the recipe below. (It's different in flavor and texture than the Medjool Date and Apple Charoset I shared with you last year.) This style of charoset is made with apple chunks, walnuts, and sweet-wine soaked raisins.

This no-churn method is unsophisticated in the equipment you need, but it doesn't compromise on flavor: it still offers a creamy vanilla base, loaded with cinnamon and spiced charoset in every bite.

No. I found the idea of charoset flavored ice cream revolting actually.... and it was more expensive than the other flavors. Confused

Amarante

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 5:03 pm
etky wrote:
No. I found the idea of charoset flavored ice cream revolting actually.... and it was more expensive than the other flavors. Confused
LOL I hadn't heard about it but the articles I googled made it seem like it was a big mitsia and people were petitioning Ben & Jerry's in the US to put out the flavor. LOL LOL

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 9:04 pm
blimy2 wrote:

SERVING/YIELD-40
PREP TIME-20 min
INGREDIENTS
1 (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 (8 oz) whip
Cigars
Chocolate

Eat and enjoy!

can these be made in advance and frozen? or how long in fridge?
and what exactly are cigars? store-bought?

etky

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 3:11 pm
Amarante wrote:
LOL I hadn't heard about it but the articles I googled made it seem like it was a big mitsia and people were petitioning Ben & Jerry's in the US to put out the flavor. LOL LOL

I don't know, the thought of the wine of the charoset with the ice cream just put me off. OTOH I guess that they probably played up the apples, nuts and cinnamon flavors and maybe didn't even introduce the wine notes at all. Actually I don't like apple or cinnamon flavors in ice cream either (nuts are yum though) so it's just altogether not my cup of tea. Maybe it was popular. I don't seem to recall seeing any leftover containers after Pessach....

Amarante

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 8:33 pm
amother wrote:
can these be made in advance and frozen? or how long in fridge?
and what exactly are cigars? store-bought?

I don't know cigars. But cannolis are tubes of fried dough which are then filled with the filling.

I would imagine that cigars are like that but skinnier than cannolis which are fairly thick.

I don't think you could fill them ahead of time because the outer shell would become soggy. I have never seen frozen cannolis put together. Even the kits they sell have the shells separate and the filling to be done before serving because a soggy cannoli - or any kind of soggy fried pastry is pretty terrible.

You can make cannoli shells but they are a hassle because you have to fry the dough and then quickly wrap it around something before it hardens. Even my Italian friends who are excellent cooks don't make the shells themselves. There's really not much to their taste - they are kind of bland but it's their crispiness that is a counterpart to the extremely rich creamy filling.

tweety1

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 8:36 pm
Cigars are tubes of fried dough. More like in the egg roll family. Cannolis are sweet and baked. To be found in bakeries.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 8:40 pm
Cannolis aren't baked. They are also fried cylinders of thin dough open at each end. They are filled with a creamy generally cheese based filling.

etky

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 1:29 am
Oh, I took cigars to be those largish hollow wafer rolls- sometimes with some chocolate on the outside, that you buy packaged to fill yourself. In any case, that's what I'm going to be using for the recipe upthread.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:20 am
etky wrote:
Oh, I took cigars to be those largish hollow wafer rolls- sometimes with some chocolate on the outside, that you buy packaged to fill yourself. In any case, that's what I'm going to be using for the recipe upthread.

Sounds like those are more the consistency and taste of a "wafer" ice cream cone or a sugar wafer cookie. That would work of course it is still a tube that is somewhat crispy that is filled and the end result would be delicious.

However, an authentic cannoli is made with fried dough that becomes extremely crisp. It is even crisper than a fried egg roll dough. My Bubbe used to make a fried dough cookie that looked like a bow that was the same consistency. I was blown away when I saw that Martha Stewart had the same cookie which HER grandmother made but then I realized that the "peasants" of Poland would have had a lot of the same foods. And fried dough as a dessert would be cheap and relatively easy as compared to baking cakes and cookies which needed an oven. I don't know if there were actually a lot of "ovens" in people's homes. My paternal grandmother said that people would take their cholent to the baker on Friday night and then pick it up on Shabbos since there was no way to bake it at home.

etky

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:37 am
Amarante wrote:
Sounds like those are more the consistency and taste of a "wafer" ice cream cone or a sugar wafer cookie. That would work of course it is still a tube that is somewhat crispy that is filled and the end result would be delicious.

However, an authentic cannoli is made with fried dough that becomes extremely crisp. It is even crisper than a fried egg roll dough. My Bubbe used to make a fried dough cookie that looked like a bow that was the same consistency. I was blown away when I saw that Martha Stewart had the same cookie which HER grandmother made but then I realized that the "peasants" of Poland would have had a lot of the same foods. And fried dough as a dessert would be cheap and relatively easy as compared to baking cakes and cookies which needed an oven. I don't know if there were actually a lot of "ovens" in people's homes. My paternal grandmother said that people would take their cholent to the baker on Friday night and then pick it up on Shabbos since there was no way to bake it at home.

Sounds like a fried kichel, LOL. Or rather like bow-shaped taiglach w/o the honey glaze.
Interesting about the home ovens. It's a good question for a social historian.
I always thought though that the reason they put the cholent in the baker's oven was because it was a such a large and heavy duty oven that retained its heat even when it was switched off for Shabbat - something that smaller domestic ovens couldn't do.

etky

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:39 am
Amarante wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what they are. I've seen them on the shelves at the supermarket but never thought to buy them until I tasted my neighbot's Mishloach Manot, which was divine. I'm sure there are other things that would work well as filling too...
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics