Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Kallah teacher
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:53 am
I also paid $500.00 and thought that it was cheap. I guess that it depends on the area/community/etc.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:59 am
I think I paid $250 6 years ago in Monsey. But that was less than her full fee (I think she said she usually charged $350) - money was very tight (my DH and I paid for our own, very small, wedding and I was unemployed at the time). She said I could pay what I could - but I agree with those who say that it's worth so much - it's VERY important information and I spent a LOT of hours in her home one on one.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
Uhm no. Don't people pay for gowns, flowers, makeup, music, halls, caterers etc etc
Well as a kallah teacher I dedicate between 10 and 12 classes per student totalling an average of about 25 hours. I expect to be compensated like you pay for any other service.(or class)

Not everyone does tons of classes. It can vary from 1 to 4 in many circles. And again official ones are not always allowed to take money.
If you have people who will pay and you're allowed, be paid!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:11 pm
abound wrote:
In Jerusalem you can pay between 1700nis to 3500 nis
I was in jerusalem. didnt pay anything. so interesting.

abound

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:18 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I was in jerusalem. didnt pay anything. so interesting.

If you get it through the Rabanut I think it is free, but the regular ones pay.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:28 pm
abound wrote:
If you get it through the Rabanut I think it is free, but the regular ones pay.
nope. it wasnt through the rabbanut. a friend knew a kallah teacher and she didnt take payment.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
Uhm no. Don't people pay for gowns, flowers, makeup, music, halls, caterers etc etc
Well as a kallah teacher I dedicate between 10 and 12 classes per student totalling an average of about 25 hours. I expect to be compensated like you pay for any other service.(or class)
I was just surprised at the amount. of course some women charge. just not all and I thought 500 was a lot.
but I learned something new. thats all.

abemom2

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 1:16 pm
While it seems like a lot, it's from the cheapest wedding expenses. And also, most kallahs do call back after the wedding with questions etc...

silbergirl

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 1:34 pm
Mine did it for the mitzva. Amazing woman. I had like 8 classes or so.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 4:02 pm
People are often asking me to become a kalla teacher, but in the community where I live they work for free, and as much as I am passionate about the mitzva of taharat hamishpacha, financially things are tight, and for me to give up 8-15 hours of class time plus unlimited phone time plus prep time etc... For no payment whatso ever makes no sense. No one would ever expect another person to give them that much time for free.
IYH one day when I am comfortable financially and don't need to work to cover the bills maybe it will be something to consider.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 4:08 pm
Mine were free. They were run by a local community group that actively fund-raises throughout the year. They run programs for not only Kallahs but all married women in all stages. They do great work.

chips1

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 4:53 pm
I paid $700 in Brooklyn. I know people who take more than that. It's a little over the top...

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 5:52 pm
mine charged $800 but she was so nice. I didn't know that she charged me relatively a lot. Their job aint easy... so I think its fair

syrima

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 5:58 pm
$350 for 8 classes, Manhattan.

Metukah

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 6:32 pm
Here in England, the Kallah teachers are 'not allowed' to charge. (Doulas also don't get paid). I think that's not such a great idea. People who have a lot to offer and would be great teachers, don't do it cos they need to make a living. It's a shame.
My sil got married in Jerusalem 4 years ago, she paid 5000 NIS; that's over $1300. I believe it was worth every penny.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:07 pm
the going rate in Boro Park and Flatbush now is 1000.00. I feel that teachers are taking advantage of people who have no choice but to spend the money. Especially when they are getting married and they have so many other necessary expenses. Sure charge something but over 100 an hour for something that was prepared once and given over again and again????

londonn16

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:16 pm
In London Doulas and Kallah teachers don't officially do it for payment as many other services that our community offer but we do give them a generous gift certificate or something similar, I gave my daughters kallah teacher £500

Metukah

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:55 pm
londonn16 wrote:
In London Doulas and Kallah teachers don't officially do it for payment as many other services that our community offer but we do give them a generous gift certificate or something similar, I gave my daughters kallah teacher £500

It's not that they don't officially charge, they are not allowed to charge. My kallah teacher asked me to give a dontion to a certain ladies mikva. I also gave her a beautiful gift/mm. (As for my doula, I gave her a large gift voucher).

londonn16

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 7:58 pm
There's no rule whether they are allowed to ask for payment, it's accepted that they are paid without being asked, I know the Doulas are not allowed to get paid

Metukah

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:11 pm
londonn16 wrote:
There's no rule whether they are allowed to ask for payment, it's accepted that they are paid without being asked, I know the Doulas are not allowed to get paid

Actually there is a rule and they are not allowed to ask for payment. There are people who are trying to change it as they feel people who have more to offer would become kallah teachers if they could charge.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics