Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Wisconsin GOP limits bulk food purchases on food stamps.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 3:36 pm
Amarante wrote:
Oops recipe posted in wrong thread lol

I don't think that WI put duck breasts on the list yet LOL

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 3:48 pm
http://www.theonion.com/articl.....35922

Amarante

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 3:48 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I don't think that WI put duck breasts on the list yet LOL

In Wisconsin maybe they will start requiring people to hunt for their food a d shoot a duck or deer Very Happy

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 3:58 pm
Amarante wrote:
In Wisconsin maybe they will start requiring people to hunt for their food a d shoot a duck or deer Very Happy

Ann Arbor and Madison will be exempt. LOL

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 7:51 pm
I understand the reason for eliminating bulk food purchases. The reason is often the food is shipped to relatives in another country such as those in the Caribbean. The recipients fill up containers here and ship it home where it can often be sold for nice money. This is done quite frequently in some communities and tax payer money is lining the pockets of those who participate.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 7:54 pm
Squishy wrote:
I understand the reason for eliminating bulk food purchases. The reason is often the food is shipped to relatives in another country such as those in the Caribbean. The recipients fill up containers here and ship it home where it can often be sold for nice money. This is done quite frequently in some communities and tax payer money is lining the pockets of those who participate.

How much food does this account for? Somehow I don't envision WI being the immigration destination for the majority of individuals from the Caribbean.

sequoia

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 7:56 pm
Reason 173489320 why I hate the Midwest.

bluebird

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:04 pm
Let's just make a special gruel for the poor and let them eat nothing but that. We can sell it in special gruel stores so no one has to be inconvenienced by someone who has the wrong size milk carton. Gruel is plenty for those freeloaders.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:11 pm
I can't imagine any economic scheme in which it is cheaper to mail dried beans rather than buy them. Even in Whole Paycheck, dried beans are incredibly cheap and in some ethnic stores I have been in, one can purchase 25 pound sacks for almost nothing.

If there is that much of a profit to be made in shipping dried beans to the Carribean, surely someone could spend $10 for a sack of beans and with the profits buy themselves a juicy steak.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:12 pm
bluebird wrote:
Let's just make a special gruel for the poor and let them eat nothing but that. We can sell it in special gruel stores so no one has to be inconvenienced by someone who has the wrong size milk carton. Gruel is plenty for those freeloaders.

I suddenly hear Monty Python yelling, 'Bring out your dead'.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 8:17 pm

Please Sir I Want Some More

nylon

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:01 pm
The law won't actually pass. The USDA would need to approve this, as I understand it. The refused to allow Bloomberg to restrict soda purchases.

That said, congress could change the SNAP laws. It really is about punishing people for being poor and making sure they know that they are living on charity. It's disgusting. Poor people can't be trusted t budget like the rest of us?

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:13 pm
Amarante wrote:
I can't imagine any economic scheme in which it is cheaper to mail dried beans rather than buy them. Even in Whole Paycheck, dried beans are incredibly cheap and in some ethnic stores I have been in, one can purchase 25 pound sacks for almost nothing.

If there is that much of a profit to be made in shipping dried beans to the Carribean, surely someone could spend $10 for a sack of beans and with the profits buy themselves a juicy steak.

These people were packing up oil drums with staples and slow shipping them on container ships. It was widespread. If I remember correctly it was islands like DR and Haiti where $10 is like a weeks salary.

It is obviously profitable if you pay nothing for your goods and your labor is cheap as is your shipping costs.

I watched an expose on this and in the film there were barrels after barrels and it was organized.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:26 pm
Squishy wrote:
These people were packing up oil drums with staples and slow shipping them on container ships. It was widespread. If I remember correctly it was islands like DR and Haiti where $10 is like a weeks salary.

It is obviously profitable if you pay nothing for your goods and your labor is cheap as is your shipping costs.

I watched an expose on this and in the film there were barrels after barrels and it was organized.

LoL I doubt that this is a WI issue or related to the WI legislation. I did a google earlier and it was mentioned in the NY Post about 3 years ago. It seems the only folks they talked to were individuals in NYC who were shipping legally purchased goods. I'd love to see one documented incident of this happening in WI.

miyodea

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:26 pm
Delete

Last edited by miyodea on Wed, May 06 2015, 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:28 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
How much food does this account for? Somehow I don't envision WI being the immigration destination for the majority of individuals from the Caribbean.
As I said it was a significant amount of food. The frum community is not the only community who can organize widespread fraud.

Where I live, formula given to nursing moms is traded in for diapers. The law makers have a right to decide on public policy considerations. Indeed they have a duty to do so. They could decide that the policy considerations are to cut costs by making it more difficult to bulk ship food. This may keep out those that are applying to the program to make a buck.

I can't think of a single other reason why to not allow bulk purchases.

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:37 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
LoL I doubt that this is a WI issue or related to the WI legislation. I did a google earlier and it was mentioned in the NY Post about 3 years ago. It seems the only folks they talked to were individuals in NYC who were shipping legally purchased goods. I'd love to see one documented incident of this happening in WI.

In the film I saw the food was being "purchased" with food stamps. I can't speak to what is in the WI legislators minds or social problems in WI. Why do you think they would ban bulk purchases? Shell fish is self expla natory since it is considered a luxury item.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:40 pm
Squishy wrote:
As I said it was a significant amount of food. The frum community is not the only community who can organize widespread fraud.

Where I live, formula given to nursing moms is traded in for diapers. The law makers have a right to decide on public policy considerations. Indeed they have a duty to do so. They could decide that the policy considerations are to cut costs by making it more difficult to bulk ship food. This may keep out those that are applying to the program to make a buck.

I can't think of a single other reason why to not allow bulk purchases.

I'm not going to address the strawman that you inserted vis a vis diapers. But I will ask you again, how often are dry foods shipped from WI to the Caribbean? If this is an issue with a population in NY, why does WI care?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:42 pm
Squishy wrote:
In the film I saw the food was being "purchased" with food stamps. I can't speak to what is in the WI legislators minds or social problems in WI. Why do you think they would ban bulk purchases? Shell fish is self expla natory since it is considered a luxury item.

Shell fish is only a luxury item depending on where you shop. You can go into any major Vietnamese grocery story on the west coast and shrimp will be cheaper than Empire chicken.

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 12:05 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'm not going to address the strawman that you inserted vis a vis diapers. But I will ask you again, how often are dry foods shipped from WI to the Caribbean? If this is an issue with a population in NY, why does WI care?

I never looked Wisconsin ' s specific issues. A quick Google shows there are overt a quarter of a million immigrants and they make up 5% on the state's economy. Migrant workers are important to the dairy business. That is significant.

You do realize that legislation is not drawn up in a vacuum. Often legislatures have pattern laws and each state adopts them and modifies accordingly. I don't know how widespread selling food obtained by food stamps is, nor do I even know if it is the reason why WI wants to control the purchase of bulk food, but it seems a plausible reason given that prohibiting bulk food buying is counterintuitive to allowing the biggest bang for snap bucks.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics